Z97E-ITX/ac Virtualization Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97E-ITX/ac Virtualization Support

I need to know if this motherboard supports VT-d.

Re: Z97E-ITX/ac Virtualization Support

I bought the board and have been playing around with it. I'm not any kind of guru with this type of stuff, so I don't know if some features are not working right, but VT-d is working for what I need. I was able to passthrough a 5850 to a windows 8.1 VM. My system doesn't hang on boot throwing APCI table errors like my Asus board did when intel_iommu is turned on, and my computer is not telling me that my bios is broken, so I'll take that as a sign that everything is good.

Comment

#1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I have recently bought the following hardware:

Intel Core i7 4790K
        2x 8GB Crucial Ballistic Sports 1600MHz RAM
        Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac
        Sapphire AMD R9 290
        Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
        2x 4TB Western Digital Green
        Corsair CS450M

After I have enabled VT-d in the bios (and upgraded to bios version 1.3), I installed Archlinux with the 3.15.7-1-ARCH kernel and Xen 4.4.0 from AUR. In Xen.cfg I added the intel_iommu=on parameter. Using the following command to check if I have VT-d support: dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU it outputs:

# dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU[ 0.000000] Intel-IOMMU: enabled
        Several websites state that the output should be something like this:

DMAR:DRHD base: 0x000000feb03000 flags: 0x0
        IOMMU feb03000: ver 1:0 cap c9008020e30260 ecap 1000
        The only thing I can find furthermore is with xl dmesg:

(XEN) Intel VT-d iommu 0 supported page sizes: 4kB.
        (XEN) Intel VT-d iommu 1 supported page sizes: 4kB, 2MB, 1GB.
        (XEN) Intel VT-d Snoop Control not enabled.
        (XEN) Intel VT-d Dom0 DMA Passthrough not enabled.
        (XEN) Intel VT-d Queued Invalidation enabled.
        (XEN) Intel VT-d Interrupt Remapping enabled.
        (XEN) Intel VT-d Shared EPT tables not enabled.
        (XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled
        Commands as xl pci-assignable-list don't show anything. Do you, woody, or anyone else have experience with this motherboard and getting Xen with PCI/VGA passthrough to work? Thanks in advance!
        Last edited by Steephh; 08-02-2014, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steephh View Post
          I have recently bought the following hardware:

Intel Core i7 4790K

I'm using Manjaro with the mainline kernel and KVM. I added "intel_iommu=on pci-stub.ids=1002:67b1,1002:aac8" to my grub file. Check your own stub ids. I needed to then add the pci-stub module to mkinitcpio and run some command I can't remember. I also needed to create a file in the modprobe.d folder containing options "kvm allow_unsafe_assigned_interrupts=1". Everything else I've done in virt-manager including binding the r9 290 I'm using for the vm. Catalyst had some problems recognizing the gpu, so I had to start the vm first and then add the card after dettaching it using "virsh nodedev-dettach pci_0000_01_00_0". Do it again for the audio which in my case would mean chaging the last "0" to "1". Check your own ids to make sure.

That's the extent of what I have had to do. I did my best to avoid config files and commands. I very loosely followed the two guides below.

Configure KVM and libvirt on Arch Linux with PCI passthrough | ktz.me

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Much of what you said just went over my head. I'm still very new to all of this.

Comment

Working...
          X