New ASRock H87M will not post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ASRock H87M will not post.

I'm in the process of building two new computers using nearly the same specs with the only exception being processors. One is a Haswell i5 the other a Haswell i3. Both are using the ASRock H87M motherboard.

The motherboard with the i3 will not post however. After powering it on the CPU fan will turn on, spin up for a second or two then quiets down. I've tried both the VGA and DVI outputs on the motherboard, nothing is displayed on screen. After about 30-40 seconds the computer will restart. CPU fan stops, light goes out and then immediately boots back up and repeats the process.

During the entire time the fan is the only thing that makes noise and shows any activity. Nothing ever displays on screen or any other beeps or warnings.

Any suggestions? Send back to Amazon as DOA?

Re: New ASRock H87M will not post.

Sorry to waste everyone's time and creating an un-needed account I guess.

I was able to fix it. Even though the boards are the same model and the BIOS stick on them both show "P1.70.1A" it appears the board with the i5 (which was working fine) had a newer BIOS then the one with the i3 (wasn't working).

Swapped the CPU's and was able to post on the board that wasn't previously working, updated the BIOS to 2.2 and again swapped the CPU's, all is good now.

Maybe this might help someone down the road.

Comment

Re: New ASRock H87M will not post.

Eh, we all live and learn.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
      X