Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z87X-UD3H "PWM" Headers and how to connect my fans now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87X-UD3H "PWM" Headers and how to connect my fans now?

Hi,

I have 4x 4-pin Enermax Fans but only have 3x 4-pin headers and 1x 3-pin header on my motherboard. I want to use all 4 fans, but couldn't so I got an Akasa PWM splitter. Akasa Thermal Solution I put this into one of the 4-pin headers on the motherboard and put two of the Enermax fans into it. The two fans not in the splitter (in the other two 4-pin headers) I can change the fan speeds fine with through SpeedFan, but the other two in the splitter I can't. They stay at 100% RPM. The RPM reading is fine on SpeedFan, but I cannot change the speeds. I also tried it in the CPU_OPT Header to no avail. This leads me to believe the 4-pin headers aren't actually PWM? If so, how am I going to put all 7 of my fans in when I get my two new one's?

Thanks,

Shiv

Re: Z87X-UD3H "PWM" Headers and how to connect my fans now?

IIRC splitters feeding two separate tachs from two fans will do exactly as you say.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

If you're using the one to three fan splitter as shown in your link, I think I know what the problem is.

Any correctly wired PWM fan splitter has only one of the fan connectors with a RPM wire connected to the single connector that connects to a board's PWM fan header. I'm guess that you have your two fans connected to the two connection that have only three wires running to the fan, so the board is not receiving any RPM signal, and runs the fans at full speed. Just move one of the fans to the connector with four wires (and four pins in the fan plug) and you should be able to control the speed of the fans. In the picture it looks like the fan connector with a green wire is the one that has the RPM connection.

When more than one fan sends RPM information to one PWM header on a board, the RPM signal is not what the board expects, which is why these fan splitter are wired that way.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        If you're using the one to three fan splitter as shown in your link, I think I know what the problem is.

Any correctly wired PWM fan splitter has only one of the fan connectors with a RPM wire connected to the single connector that connects to a board's PWM fan header. I'm guess that you have your two fans connected to the two connection that have only three wires running to the fan, so the board is not receiving any RPM signal, and runs the fans at full speed. Just move one of the fans to the connector with four wires (and four pins in the fan plug) and you should be able to control the speed of the fans. In the picture it looks like the fan connector with a green wire is the one that has the RPM connection.

When more than one fan sends RPM information to one PWM header on a board, the RPM signal is not what the board expects, which is why these fan splitter are wired that way.

One of the fans is already in the 4-pin :( It is receiving RPM readings as I can see it in SpeedFan

Comment

I got a couple of those Y-splitters and all is well now - thanks for the help! :)

Comment

Working...
          X