No announcement yet.

Asrock Z87 Extreme9ac and Z87 OC Formula problem with Asmedia 1061 Sata ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z87 Extreme9ac and Z87 OC Formula problem with Asmedia 1061 Sata ports

Hi.

I have two motherboards(Z87 Extreme9ac and Z87 OC Formula), when connected HDDs to Asmedia ports (WD RED 4Tb or Seagate Barracuda 3Tb) and begin intensive operations (copy or move data from hdd to hdd) take off errors occur in Windows 8.1 x64 upd1.
    Problem with slow performance copying, viewing data from HDD and then HDD not visible in my computer (Disk Managment).
    In Windows Logs -> System registered new event (warning level) disk 153 - The IO operation at logical block address 7a90760 for Disk 7 was retried.
    If HDDs connected to Intel ports - no any problem with performance.

Thank you for help.

screen in system logs

main settings from bios-storage

Re: Asrock Z87 Extreme9ac and Z87 OC Formula problem with Asmedia 1061 Sata ports

Yes, your problems are common with the ASMedia SATA chipset when using Windows 8, or any related version like 8.1.

Are you using the ASMedia driver, or the Windows 8 storahci driver? I would suggest trying the storahci driver if you are not using it now. I don't know if that will fix your problems, just an idea.

I see that for either of your boards, there is no listing for an ASMedia SATA chipset driver under Windows 8.1. You could try the ASMedia driver listed for Windows 8.1 for ASRock Z97 boards, like my Z97 Extreme 6:

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

That's the ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:2.0.8.0 driver.

I don't know if this ASMedia driver will fix your problems, I can't use the ASMedia SATA ports at all on my ASRock boards (Z77, Z87, and Z97), but that is related to my UEFI booting Windows 8.1 installations.

If you try that ASMedia driver and it works, please let me know.

Comment

Re: Asrock Z87 Extreme9ac and Z87 OC Formula problem with Asmedia 1061 Sata ports

Hi,
      Thank you for answer,

I tried with driver 2.0.8.0 (download from asrock site), 2.0.8.1 (from station-driver) and microsoft SATA ACHI - problem is not solving.
      Errors in the system logs are the same - warning events disk 153, storahci 129 (with use microsoft SATA ACHI).

Today check in windows 7x64 - but I think that is not the solution for this problem.

Comment

I today installed Windows 7x64 sp1 with Asmedia driver 2.0.8.0.

Problem is same as on windows 8.1 x64.
        I think there will only replace the motherboard to another Asus or Gigabyte for socket 1150.

p.s. Asrock makes good motherboards but here probably you will make nothing

Comment

If to copy same amount of data (130-150Gb) on disks connected to the controller Intel - no any problem and fastest 3-3.5 times

Comment

Unless you can use the ASM10x1 ports for CD/DVD drives you're miles ahead with an add-in PCI-E HDD controller over the hokey ASM10x1 ports.

They, the ASM ports, don't behave much better in Win7.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleksii View Post
              I today installed Windows 7x64 sp1 with Asmedia driver 2.0.8.0.

Problem is same as on windows 8.1 x64.
              I think there will only replace the motherboard to another Asus or Gigabyte for socket 1150.

p.s. Asrock makes good motherboards but here probably you will make nothing
              Thank you for posting the errors messages in the Windows log and other information that shows the problems you have with the ASMedia SATA controller. That is real evidence that the problem exists. I only thought the problems happened in Windows 8, but since it happens with Windows 7 too, that is even worse.

There is one thing you can try, but let me ask you a question first. Do you use the Intel SATA AHCI/RAID driver (IRST) for the Intel SATA ports, or the Windows AHCI driver? If you do, let me explain. I'm NOT saying this will fix the problem, it might do nothing, but is just one last thing to try.

If you are not using RAID and have the Intel IRST driver installed, you could try changing (in Device Manager) to the Windows msahci (Windows 7) or storahci (Windows 8) drivers for the Intel SATA controller. You can always change back to the Intel driver if the ASMedia ports still don't work. It is hard to explain, but I have seen problems with the Intel IRST software (Windows Intel Rapid Storage Technology UI program) and the ASMedia SATA ports.

It would be interesting to see if another mother board company that uses the ASMedia SATA chip can get it to work on their boards. If it did work on other boards, then that would seem to tell us that ASRock has done something wrong somewhere that causes the problem.

If the ASMedia SATA chip does not work well on any board, why do manufactures keep on using it? I rather have the Marvell SATA chips, there is no difference in speed between ASMedia and Marvell.

If anyone reading this uses the ASMedia SATA ports on their board, and it works for you fine, please let us know.

wardog, this is a note that ASUS has in the specs of one of their Z97 boards, about the ASMedia SATA chip:

*3: These SATA ports are for data hard drivers only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

The board: Motherboards - xxxxxxxxx Z97 MARK 1 - XXXX

ATAPI devices, and optical drives are ATAPI devices, can't be used on these chips. Not the first time I've seen that note either.

Yeah, I got 10 SATA ports on my board, but only six work.

Comment

parsec

When tried copy operation in Windows 7x64 - I don't install driver for Intel ACHI, i tested with Asmedia driver only.
                Tomorrow or after tomorrow I will check on MSI Z97 - there too Asmedia 1061.
                If on MSI will be no problem - it means a manufacturer sets faulty(defective) controllers or incorrectly installed them on our motherboards.
                I use 2xSSD 2x4Tb-WD 2x4Tb Hitachi 2x3Tb Seagate and BD-RW SATA.
                Marvell controllers no such problem - but Asrock them not to put into their motherboards.

Buying expensive motherboard (300-400USD), I would like that all would work at it - and not just on a site was beautifully written to specification for this motherboards.

Comment

So you have no problems when using the ASMedia controller on your MSI Z97 board? You do the same kind of file copies on the MSI board, and you have no problems, right? Sorry, your English is pretty good, I just want to be 100% sure.

I have not even tried the ASMedia controller on my ASRock Z97 board, because on my ASRock Z87 or Z77 boards, just enabling the ASMedia controller in the BIOS and connecting one drive to it, my PC won't boot. I thought this was caused by installing Windows 8.1 for UEFI booting, but you are right, all the hardware on a board should work.

I might begin testing the ASMedia controller on my Z97 board, and if it has problems, I will see what ASRock can do about it.

Thank you again for the information.

Comment

On MSI Z97 motherboard - I have not yet tested, I plan tomorrow.

If you are able to check on your Asrock Z97 (copy operation HDD to HDD for Asmedia controller) - I will be grateful to you.

Thank you for help.

Comment

Today I checked on motherboard MSI Z97 MPower with controller Asmedia 1061 and 2ports.
                      For check I used the same processor, memory, SSD(with Windows7 x64 sp1) and two hard disks connected to ports with controller Asmedia.
                      Operation of copying and moving of data from a HDD1 on a HDD2, worked perfectly with no any errors (no slow performance, freezes and any problem).

screen from worked copy operations on MSI Z97 Mpower

p.s. I have only one thought - Asrock installs on your motherboard faulty(defective) Asmedia controllers or does not do it correctly.
                      Solve the problem with controllers Asmedia on Asrock motherboards (z87) - can only purchase a motherboard from another vendor.

Comment

I enabled the ASMedia controllers on my ASRock Z97 board, it has two ASMedia 1061 chips, and four ASMedia SATA ports. I think both of your ASRock boards also have two ASMedia chips, since one chip should only provide two ports.

I installed the ASMedia 2.0.0.8 driver and connected two drives to the ASMedia ports. The PC booted fine and the drives were recognized, which is the first time that worked for me since it kept failing on my Z87 board.

I did have a problem which I'll describe below.

I copied several large folders of picture files between those two drives, one folder over 1GB in size, and it worked fine. I also copied a folder of documents and programs that is 1.2GB, and that completed fine. So far I did not have any file copy failures with the drives on the ASMedia ports.

But, a hardware monitoring program I use, HWiNFO, which tries to read some of the SMART data from the drives on the PC, would freeze before it could start. It would freeze reading a drive on the ASMedia ports, since it never did this with drives on the Intel ports. I had to press the PC's Reset button and restart, the freeze was so bad. It froze like that three times in the same way each time. I could not start Task Manager when the PC froze. I had to disable drive scanning in the HWiNFO program to stop the PC from freezing. I also noticed another utility program could not work correctly with the drives on the ASMedia ports.

So, I'm not getting the same problems that you do, at least so far. I also realized that I put one drive on each ASMedia chip, so each chip was not working with two drives, which is easier than if both drives were connected to one chip. I'll need to test again with two drives on one ASMedia chip.

I can say that the ASMedia chip is not perfect, since it cannot do things the Intel SATA interface can do without any problems. I must say that the A-Tuning program was able to read SMART data from the drives on the ASMedia chips, so I don't know what problem the other program I use has.

Question for you, how long do your file copies take to complete when using the ASMedia ports?

Comment

I'm don't use S.M.A.R.T(HWINFO and other) control utility.
                          Last tests made ​​on a clean Windows7 x64 sp1.
                          Errors were also when copying from HDD1 with controller Intel(ACHI) to HDD2 with controller Asmedia(ACHI).

Comment

I used to check for copying 100-150Gb of data.

Comment

Last checked on new motherboard with Asmedia 1061 - Asus Z87-WS

Absolutely no any problem - fast copy from HDD1 to HDD2, no warnings or errors in system event logs.

I tested the four motherboards with controller Asmedia 1061 - Asrock Z87 OC Formula, Asrock Z87 Extreme9ac, MSI Z97 Mpower, Asus Z87-WS.
                              With MSI and Asus - no any problem, with two boards from Asrock - freezes, slow copy and more warnings and errors in system event log.

Comment

Working...
                              X