Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E3C226D2I - POST issues

Hi all,

I'm new here and have just bought an Asrock E3C226D2I board to upgrade my FreeNAS environment in to the world of ECC RAM! I'm using an Intel Pentium G3420 CPU and a single stick of 16GB ECC Kingston UDIMM RAM alongside the new motherboard.

So far, I've not had much luck with motherboard, and cannot get any VGA signal or USB signal from it. I can connect to the IPMI interface no problem, and can even power on/power off the machine from there, but video signal is provided through the remote control, or through the monitor I have connected. I can't get any life out of the actual machine, only the IPMI interface.

The BMC light is blinking bright green constantly, but the IPMI interface appears to be working correctly. I have checked the logs for errors and the only thing that appeared in there was a warning about voltage being too low, which only appeared once.

I will add that this is my second board, as I had to RMA the first board for exactly the same issue, although the IPMI interface stopped working on the first board, as well as not being able to POST.

I have left the machine powered on for more than 20 minutes, and get nothing from it, just the blinking BMC light.

Does this sound like a problem with one of the other components, or have I been unlucky enough to get two broken motherboards?

Re: E3C226D2I - POST issues

Originally posted by SoapSud View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new here and have just bought an Asrock E3C226D2I board to upgrade my FreeNAS environment in to the world of ECC RAM! I'm using an Intel Pentium G3420 CPU and a single stick of 16GB ECC Kingston UDIMM RAM alongside the new motherboard.

So far, I've not had much luck with motherboard, and cannot get any VGA signal or USB signal from it. I can connect to the IPMI interface no problem, and can even power on/power off the machine from there, but video signal is provided through the remote control, or through the monitor I have connected. I can't get any life out of the actual machine, only the IPMI interface.

The BMC light is blinking bright green constantly, but the IPMI interface appears to be working correctly. I have checked the logs for errors and the only thing that appeared in there was a warning about voltage being too low, which only appeared once.

I will add that this is my second board, as I had to RMA the first board for exactly the same issue, although the IPMI interface stopped working on the first board, as well as not being able to POST.

I have left the machine powered on for more than 20 minutes, and get nothing from it, just the blinking BMC light.

Does this sound like a problem with one of the other components, or have I been unlucky enough to get two broken motherboards?

Can you list the make and model number of your memory? Bill - [email protected]

Comment

I ended up solving the issue for this. It turned out to be incompatible RAM thst was throwing a beep code, but I had no speaker plugged in. I rigged up another PC's speaker on the board and the beeps told the rest of the story.

I've put a non ECC 8gb Kingston stick in there now which got the board to boot, and will replace it with an ECC stick when I can.

Comment

Since you are using Kingston, you may also want to use their QVL for your reference Memory Search | Kingston . 16GB is not supported in this board.

Comment

Bill,

I am new as well...and having the same issue as the OP. Keep in mind the OP is more knowledgeable than I as he has been able to get into the IPMI interface and look at the logs.

Where my problem differs is that I have exactly the same MOBO and CPU in another unit. That unit is working just fine for the past 10 months. The MOBO in question is to be put into another case to act as a back up of the first one.

CPU is an Intel i3-4130 LGA1150 3.4 GHZ with 2x8gb of Kingston KVR1611/8 ECC RAM. Your comment above says that this MOBO does not take 16GB of RAM. This confuses me since my first box with exactly the same components has been working fine since the first power up.

This second mother board is giving me 4 short beeps when I start it. Searching all over the web, I only see FAQs that say only 1, 3 or 5 beeps. Nothing for 4 short beeps. I've tested the memory sticks and there are fine.

When I plug the monitor, nothing comes up on the screen. It actually makes the monitor go into standby mode.

I am having a hard time thinking that this MOBO is bad right out of the box. I know it can happen but I am a bit disapointed. I need this second unit up and running since it will be used as a back up for the first box with the same configuration running FreeNAS.

I look forward to any suggestions. I almost forgot, ASROCK site shows the specs for this board with 16gb RAM.

Thanks!
          Last edited by xicaque; 08-24-2014, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Sorry, what I meant 16GB not supported was 16GB module (1x 16GB), not 2x 8GB memory configuration.

As far as I am concerned, 4 beeps does indicate a memory issue. Would you please provide a full model number of your memory? Or check in this link Memory Search | Kingston to see if your memory model matches any one of the product in the list.

Bill
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
              Sorry, what I meant 16GB not supported was 16GB module (1x 16GB), not 2x 8GB memory configuration.

As far as I am concerned, 4 beeps does indicate a memory issue. Would you please provide a full model number of your memory? Or check in this link Memory Search | Kingston to see if your memory model matches any one of the product in the list.

Bill
              [email protected]

Thanks for your reply Bill. Is there a place where these 4 beeps is documented? The info found in AsRock site does not say anything about 4 short beeps...I am just curious as to why is not anywhere. As for the RAM, I went to that site and I have the following:8GB Module - DDR3L 1600MHz Part Number: KVR16LE11/8 Specs: DDR3L, 1600MHz, ECC, CL11, X8, 1.35V, Unbuffered, DIMM, 240-pin

This is exactly the same item/product that I have on my first server with the exact same motherboard. I've went to the pain of also testing the second set of RAM on my first MOBO and it works without any issues.

Given the several posts on this forum, my second MOBO is part of a bad lot.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ami_beep.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	754589

Please try using either one of your 8GB RAMs into the blue slot A1 and then B1, then the other stick of RAM into the slot A1 and B1. This is to catch if the slot has a problem. Bill [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X