Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After hibernation PC is restoring after keyboard is pressed - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After hibernation PC is restoring after keyboard is pressed - why?

BIOS settings:

Advanced -> ACPI Configuration ->
    * PS/2 Keyoboard Power On - Disabled
    * USB Keyboard / Remote Power On - Disabled

When i do Windows 8.1 Hibernation my computer is going down, but what im asking is why when i pressed the button (SPACE) it is going up?

Is this BIOS problem/bug or what?

My PC:
    * Windows 8.1 x64 version 6.3 (Build 9600)
    * AMD FX990FX Killer
    * Keyboard Logitech UltraX Premium* BIOS (by AIDA x64 Extreme Beta):
    BIOS version P1.00
    AGESA version OrochiPIV1.2.9.0

Re: After hibernation PC is restoring after keyboard is pressed - why?

I tried to update my bios from v1.00 -> 1.10, and my PC is dead now.

ASRock > Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
    version 1.10

The way looks like that:
    - PC restored form hibernation (maybe that was main problem)
    - i launched Windows flash utility under Windows 8.1 x64
    - application was working, my screen was blinking from time to time (for 3-4 sec and longer for 10-120 sec about)
    - the last blink was very long (about 1- 2min or so)
    - after it i see Windows login screen, when i logged in there was no Windows-flash-utlity on it, but my startup application started to launch
    - i check under AIDA again, and it said BIOS version is still 1.00
    - so i made first decision and rebooted PC insted of trying to re-flash bios
    - PC was dead, 2 short beeps
    - i tried to reboot it few times (more than 3)
    - then i made 2nd bad decision and cleared CMOS (but only for 3-5 sec, not 15 sec like manual is saying to do)
    - no changes at all, PC is still dead

My questions are now:

- Is it very bad i cleared CMOS? What are the consequences?
    - Has ASRock AMD 990FX Killer some recovery proces to boot up from floppy drive with prepered diskiette with dos-flash-utlity on it? I know for sure some models of motherboard got it - and its working.
    - Is is possible to try hot-swap: borken bios-memory-chip under working PC with another motherboard, and then on it try to reflash the bios-memory-chip?

and the last short one:

- Why da hell flashing proces failed in my case? It was cuz restored Windows hibernation proces or what?

Comment

If you got access to another computer put the original Bios file,on a formatted (fat32)USB 2 stick try use a smallish 4GB I always use, Plaace it in the back of the computer on a USB2 port not USB3, start the computer and spam F6 key if your lucky your get to Instant flash, click the bios file, if this dont work you may need to contact Asrock for replacment Bios chip
      Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-912 View Post
        If you got access to another computer put the original Bios file,on a formatted (fat32)USB 2 stick try use a smallish 4GB I always use, Plaace it in the back of the computer on a USB2 port not USB3, start the computer and spam F6 key if your lucky your get to Instant flash, click the bios file, if this dont work you may need to contact Asrock for replacment Bios chip
        Good luck!
        I tried, but not sure it was USB-2.0 port.. i will try again.
        What about "put the original Bios file, on a USB stick" ? It should be file downloaded from:
        ASRock > Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

but it should be files extracted from zip archive "Instant flash" or "dos"?

"Instant flash" archive got file:
        990Kill1.00 // so i think its raw BIOS content file.

"dos" archive got file:
        990Kill1.00.exe // its flashing application contain inside BIOS content file.

I tried "dos" version with pendrive formated as DOS system. In autoexec.bat i just launched "990Kill1.00.exe" file. But in this case there was no effect. But like i said before maybe i used USB 3.0 insted AND i didnt pushed F6 button as well.

Comment

Yes extract the original version 1 instant flash file from your download page and put on root of formatted fat 32 usb stick, use usb 2 port on the back io shield (the red ones)
          It's probably a very long shot but worth a try, if not you need Asrock to send you a new bios chip...
          Last edited by Joe-912; 08-08-2014, 12:12 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Use the Instant Flash 990Kill1.00 file in the USB flash drive, the DOS version will not work with the BIOS recovery method Joe-912 suggested you try.

Joe-912, good idea to try that method, really the only option left. BUT the red port on the IO panel is NOT a USB port, that is an eSATA port. There are two USB 2.0 ports just above the red eSATA port, and also below the network input jack. They are black inside, the standard for USB 2.0.

Why oh why do manufactures still provide Windows BIOS update programs, they tend to fail more than any other method. I would never use the Windows BIOS update program, I only use the Instant Flash method (or Internet Flash method, which just adds downloading the Instant Flash file). Instant Flash is the most dependable method for flashing a BIOS, I've used it many times without any problems.

I doubt having hibernated the PC caused your BIOS update to fail. The Windows BIOS update method simply does not work well, we see threads about failures using it all the time.

Your first post, about the PC waking from Hibernate from the keyboard, what do I yet again see that is common to so many people that have issues like that: a Logitech keyboard. So many Logitech products must have their driver software running or they won't function correctly. Nothing is running when in Hibernate or Sleep mode, so that might explain the behavior of your keyboard.

Comment

Ye s I don't like the windows flash file and they should remove them, btw I don't mean the esata but I can see how they may confuse things, the 5 usb ports should have a red tint to them as mine do but sulttle, is it when you have a mixture of usb 2 and 3 ports they coat the usb 2 with red and the usb 3 blue, I thought that's how it was but maybe it's just me...
              It will probably be a change bios chip hey?

Comment

Hurra!! its fixed!!

So F6 + USB 2.0 + just simple raw ROM file on USB did it.

Guys, i love you all :D

What i wonder is:
                - why those morons are forcing Windows flashing tools when its not working,
                - Why da hell i didnt saw anywhere instruction about F6 trick in manual or www / faq on ASrock webpage.

p.s.
                I recovered from www bios version 1.00, not 1.10. But... i think i will stay with that old version for a while, becouse i dont wanna take a risk again :D

p.s.2
                about that hibernation recovering when key is pressed - i found (i think in ASRock FAQ) they are suggesting to change some settings in keyboard driver or keyboard settings somewhere... - it was about Windows XP or Windows 7/Vista problem, but maybe it will work as well in Windows 8.x
                Ofc maybe its same problem with Logitech keyboard as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bischop View Post
                  p.s.2
                  about that hibernation recovering when key is pressed - i found (i think in ASRock FAQ) they are suggesting to change some settings in keyboard driver or keyboard settings somewhere... - it was about Windows XP or Windows 7/Vista problem, but maybe it will work as well in Windows 8.x
                  Ofc maybe its same problem with Logitech keyboard as well.
                  Here is is:

Comment

Well I be dammed it worked!!!
                    great, yea stay away from the windows flash util that's for sure....

Comment

Great, glad that worked for you! Apparently this F6 BIOS recovery procedure is available on more ASRock boards than we know. It might be an AMI feature, AMI is the source of the UEFI/BIOS code used in most ASRock boards.

None of the USB 2.0 ports on my ASRock boards have a red tint... do you have some lighting that might cause that?

Shoot, we should have told bischop to use the 1.10 BIOS file, but no big deal. I bet you could flash to BIOS 1.10 using Instant flash with the 1.10 file on your USB flash drive, without any trouble at all.

IMO, no one is forcing anyone to use the Windows BIOS update method, beyond it being available. My ASRock Z77 board had over ten BIOS updates, and every one of them had a Windows BIOS update file. I applied every BIOS update that ASRock added, but I never used any method but Instant Flash.

Sometimes ASRock only provides one method to update to a new version, or when they provide beta BIOS updates. They all only use Instant Flash.

The description/instructions for the ASRock Windows update method states you must close ALL other programs while running the update, which is normal. For Windows 7 and 8, it must be run as Administrator. Also, you did not say that you were prompted to restart the PC, as should happen when this update method is complete. Actually, none of the description in the instructions matched at all what you described happened while you ran the update, so clearly something was wrong.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010564.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	754541

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                          (...)
                          Shoot, we should have told bischop to use the 1.10 BIOS file, but no big deal. I bet you could flash to BIOS 1.10 using Instant flash with the 1.10 file on your USB flash drive, without any trouble at all.

IMO, no one is forcing anyone to use the Windows BIOS update method, beyond it being available. My ASRock Z77 board had over ten BIOS updates, and every one of them had a Windows BIOS update file. I applied every BIOS update that ASRock added, but I never used any method but Instant Flash.

(...)
                          The description/instructions for the ASRock Windows update method states you must close ALL other programs while running the update, which is normal. For Windows 7 and 8, it must be run as Administrator. Also, you did not say that you were prompted to restart the PC, as should happen when this update method is complete. Actually, none of the description in the instructions matched at all what you described happened while you ran the update, so clearly something was wrong.

I did bios update on many, many other motherboard as well (never under Windows).
                          Well i think i will try that v1.10 bios, but im little scared now :D

I tried that Windows-flashing but just like i said: its logged me out after process and thats it. But i red your post right now, and ... i launched that toold on my account. That account got "administrator" privilages, but i didnt launched toold as "Run as administrator".

Anyway im not going to use Windows-flashing-tool ever again.

About that forcing - maybe not, but manufacturers deliberately introduced the method of update under MS Windows, because in my opinion Microsoft somehow is affecting software vendors that they are developing that kind of Windows-flashing tools to make in the eyes of users, Windows more user friendly.

p.s.
                          i got hope my english is understandable

Comment

Yes I would be a bit scared too, but instant flash should be ok, I flashed my Laptop a few years ago with windows flash because that was all Dell offered and it bricked but lucky just like you I found a guide and brought it back from the dead.
                            Well good luck if you try the latest bios, and you English is perfect..
                            regards
                            joe

Comment

Ok.. I did it.... i used instant flash from BIOS for update (v1.10), and just like you said - it works perfectly good.

Comment

Working...
                              X