Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random slow downs Z87X-UD4H / i7 4770K

Hello,

I could really use some trouble shooting advice.

Basically I seem to suffer from random slow downs, from jittery web browser scrolling to jittery basic games. Things just don't feel right. Since day 1, back when this board was released.

A random symptom which might provide some clues is a laggy BIOS browsing experience, menu pages load in slowly, mouse movement is not responsive. Sometimes saving settings in the BIOS cause it to completely freeze.

I end up having to load default BIOS settings and generally that fixes everything for around a month, but its getting seriously annoying. I have probably tried every public beta BIOS for this board at some stage.

I have moved back and forth between Windows 7 and Windows 8 / 8.1 several times, always complete formats.

I have a i7 4770K, 16GB of ram, AMD R9 290 graphics along with a Samsung 830 SSD. Lots of cooling, temps are never an issue.

All of this happens both at stock clocks and overclocked. I have experienced all of this with both my onboard GPU and my dedicated graphics.

Things were so bad I even RMA'd out the CPU last year with no improvement.

Please, any advice ideas or general comforting would be welcome.

I need a hug.

Edit:

I should add I have done days and days of Memtesting and CPU stress testing with no obvious issues.
    Last edited by OnlyJust; 08-08-2014, 06:05 AM.

Re: Random slow downs Z87X-UD4H / i7 4770K

Originally posted by OnlyJust View Post
    Hello,

I could really use some trouble shooting advice.

Basically I seem to suffer from random slow downs, from jittery web browser scrolling to jittery basic games. Things just don't feel right. Since day 1, back when this board was released.

A random symptom which might provide some clues is a laggy BIOS browsing experience, menu pages load in slowly, mouse movement is not responsive. Sometimes saving settings in the BIOS cause it to completely freeze.

I end up having to load default BIOS settings and generally that fixes everything for around a month, but its getting seriously annoying. I have probably tried every public beta BIOS for this board at some stage.

I have moved back and forth between Windows 7 and Windows 8 / 8.1 several times, always complete formats.

I have a i7 4770K, 16GB of ram, AMD R9 290 graphics along with a Samsung 830 SSD. Lots of cooling, temps are never an issue.

All of this happens both at stock clocks and overclocked. I have experienced all of this with both my onboard GPU and my dedicated graphics.

Things were so bad I even RMA'd out the CPU last year with no improvement.

Please, any advice ideas or general comforting would be welcome.

I need a hug.

Edit:

I should add I have done days and days of Memtesting and CPU stress testing with no obvious issues.
    When these problems show up, have you tried doing a clean boot? If the problems go away you could re-enable one by one each service/program loading on startup until the problem reappears. This assumes of course that the problem is not in the BIOS, which is unlikely anyway.
    It could be slow going, but that's the nature of the beast.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Bios locking up is not unusual for this board though f10c so far seems to be the best one i have used,which bios are you using? Try to flash your bios that might help. Another thing i have noticed is when i upgraded my graphics cards to gtx780ti from gtx690 most of my problems disapeared,its almost like z87 plays nice with nvidia 700 series in the same way z77 plays nice with nvidia 600 series and so on...not sure how that fits in with amd cards but yeah first thing i would do is flash the bios. Something else to consider is your usb devices i found that my canon printer was causing grief with previous bios's since the bios sees it as a drive,updating the printer driver solved my problem and what your describing is exactly what mine was doing,been good ever since.
      Last edited by scracy; 08-08-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
        When these problems show up, have you tried doing a clean boot? If the problems go away you could re-enable one by one each service/program loading on startup until the problem reappears. This assumes of course that the problem is not in the BIOS, which is unlikely anyway.
        It could be slow going, but that's the nature of the beast.
        Hello, thank you for the reply.

Regarding clean booting, I have done so in the past. I have stripped down all auto start apps / drivers / services but I run a pretty lean setup so there is never too much to disable.

I generally get frustrated and wipe the BIOS and that would sort things out for a while. If the slow downs come back relatively quickly I would just format and reinstall windows.

My windows installs are pretty lightweight consisting of all updates and latest drivers along with Firefox, Steam (and a few games) and sometimes VirtualBox.

Originally posted by scracy View Post
        Bios locking up is not unusual for this board though f10c so far seems to be the best one i have used,which bios are you using? Try to flash your bios that might help. Another thing i have noticed is when i upgraded my graphics cards to gtx780ti from gtx690 most of my problems disapeared,its almost like z87 plays nice with nvidia 700 series in the same way z77 plays nice with nvidia 600 series and so on...not sure how that fits in with amd cards but yeah first thing i would do is flash the bios. Something else to consider is your usb devices i found that my canon printer was causing grief with previous bios's since the bios sees it as a drive,updating the printer driver solved my problem and what your describing is exactly what mine was doing,been good ever since.

Thank you for the reply.

Its sad that the BIOS locking up is considered normal for this board, my first Gigabyte board too.

I am also using BIOS F10c, although I have had the same problems with every BIOS to date. I always flash the updates from the BIOS using a memory stick, and then I would load default settings - never a old profile or overclock profile (mainly because it never ******** works....)

I guess I can't exactly rule out the graphics card at this stage anything could be possible, but I do vaguely recall having these same issues with the onboard Intel GPU too.

Regarding USB devices, the only two that I have plugged in is a keyboard and mouse and those have been changed within the time I have had these issues.

Any more ideas are welcome.

Cheers guys.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyJust View Post
          Hello, thank you for the reply.

Regarding clean booting, I have done so in the past. I have stripped down all auto start apps / drivers / services but I run a pretty lean setup so there is never too much to disable.

I generally get frustrated and wipe the BIOS and that would sort things out for a while. If the slow downs come back relatively quickly I would just format and reinstall windows.

My windows installs are pretty lightweight consisting of all updates and latest drivers along with Firefox, Steam (and a few games) and sometimes VirtualBox.

Thank you for the reply.

Its sad that the BIOS locking up is considered normal for this board, my first Gigabyte board too.

I am also using BIOS F10c, although I have had the same problems with every BIOS to date. I always flash the updates from the BIOS using a memory stick, and then I would load default settings - never a old profile or overclock profile (mainly because it never ******** works....)

I guess I can't exactly rule out the graphics card at this stage anything could be possible, but I do vaguely recall having these same issues with the onboard Intel GPU too.

Regarding USB devices, the only two that I have plugged in is a keyboard and mouse and those have been changed within the time I have had these issues.

Any more ideas are welcome.

Cheers guys.
          You can't load an old profile on a new bios flash. I know that at least some other manufacturers boards are the same.

Anyway good luck.
          PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
          Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30

Comment

don't waste your time on clean boot.

This is a know issue with gigabyte z87 z97 platform combined with hdmi output and nvidia 6xx and up and amd 7xxx and up.

Half of the times, system will go into slow motion, the first sign is the bios. I will affect graphics performance. youll get half the point on 3dmark or any bench tool.

a partial fix is setting pcie gen to 2 on bios.

wonder when gigabyte will fix such a terrible bug.
            Last edited by nobugsonme; 08-18-2014, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nobugsonme View Post

This is a know issue with gigabyte z87 z97 platform combined with hdmi output and nvidia 6xx and up and amd 7xxx and up.

Half of the times, system will go into slow motion, the first sign is the bios. I will affect graphics performance. youll get half the point on 3dmark or any bench tool.

I run both Z87 & Z97 boards with 7950 cards/HDMI with no major problems. Sometimes you have to do some problem solving to fix things.
              Telling people not to bother with troubleshooting steps doesn't help them.
              Do I wish the bios were a little better? sure.

Comment

Originally posted by nobugsonme View Post

I still score 22000 with my 780Ti SLI set up on 3dMark performance preset...seems about right to me....

Comment

Maybe you didnt read well. I gave him the best solution.

It`s a know bug. Obviously it wont happen on every config. But system booting with bios in slow motion 50% the times was discussed long time ago. gigabyte fixed it with some bios, but the latest one reintroduced the bug on the entire lineup.

Comment

Working...
                  X