Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 extreme6 and i7 2700k overclocking issue

Hello.
    In the test linpack(LinX 0.6.5) reduced processing speed from 4.7Ghz to 3.5Ghz.
    How can it fix it?

Re: Z77 extreme6 and i7 2700k overclocking issue

That's strange, I can think of a few reasons for that happening.

Do you have Turbo Boost enabled? It must be enabled to maintain your OC to 4.7GHz.

Or, did you change the Turbo power limits or times in the BIOS? I've also heard that disabling SpeedStep (EIST) can cause that to happen.

A processor will reduce its speed if it is too hot, thermal throttling is activated to protect the CPU. The CPU temperatures you posted do not seem to be high enough to cause that to happen, which is usually 100C.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      That's strange, I can think of a few reasons for that happening.

Do you have Turbo Boost enabled? It must be enabled to maintain your OC to 4.7GHz.

Or, did you change the Turbo power limits or times in the BIOS? I've also heard that disabling SpeedStep (EIST) can cause that to happen.

A processor will reduce its speed if it is too hot, thermal throttling is activated to protect the CPU. The CPU temperatures you posted do not seem to be high enough to cause that to happen, which is usually 100C.
      Thank you for response.

I made screenshots (bios and windows idle/burn):

Intel SpeedStep: OFF
      Intel Turbo Boost: OFF
      C1E: OFF
      C3/C6: OFF
      Package C State: OFF

bios:

idle:

burn:

Do I need to do the same tests only with the included Turbo Boost and SpeedStep?

Comment

Yes, just test with Turbo Boost and SpeedStep enabled. It won't take long and you'll see if it works soon after Linpack runs.

Also, if those settings don't work, the settings for the current limits (500) may be to low. Why did you choose those? I think Auto is higher than 500.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          Yes, just test with Turbo Boost and SpeedStep enabled. It won't take long and you'll see if it works soon after Linpack runs.

Also, if those settings don't work, the settings for the current limits (500) may be to low. Why did you choose those? I think Auto is higher than 500.
          I tested it with the included Turbo Boost and SpeedStep, nothing has changed. 500 is the maximum variable for this board.

I found a issue. I use liquid cooling only for processor and video cards.
          I installed fan over processor socket and now all is good.

My settings after testing in LinX for about 58 minutes:
          Cpu clock: ~4900 (49 49 49 49)
          Turbo voltage: +0.039v
          Offset voltage: +0.065v

voltages:
          idle: 1.432v - 1.440v
          linx burn: 1.464v(90% of time) - 1.472v(9% of time) - 1.480v(1% of time)
          temp. max: 85C

Comment

The fan fixing your problem seems to indicate that the CPU VRMs (Voltage Regulator Modules) were over heating, and limiting the power sent to the CPU. That surprises me, since your board has good heat sinks on the VRMs, which are under the heat sinks in your picture.

But you are right about using liquid cooling on the CPU, that does not provide any air circulation to those heat sinks.

Comment

Working...
            X