No announcement yet.

Z97 Extreme6--PLED & PLED1 Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme6--PLED & PLED1 Difference?

What is the difference on the Extreme6 mobo with the PLED and PLED1 connectors as far as my Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case having two separate (PLED+ and PLED-) plugs?
    I had plugged the two case wires into the #2 (+) and #4 (-) positions on the System Panel Header. Is this correct?
    If so, what function is the PLED1 Power LED Header?
    Thank you
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 ATX LGA 1150--Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1150--EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC 2.0 ACX GPU--Corsair H80i 120mm Liquid Cooler--Kingston HyperX Predator Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2666--EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold Modular--Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower--Crucial MX100 128GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--WD 500GB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD--WD My Book 4TB External HD--Windows 10--1 extra top-mount Thermaltake 200mm Blue LED exhaust fan.

Re: Z97 Extreme6--PLED & PLED1 Difference?

Originally posted by kephafan View Post
    What is the difference on the Extreme6 mobo with the PLED and PLED1 connectors as far as my Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case having two separate (PLED+ and PLED-) plugs?
    I had plugged the two case wires into the #2 (+) and #4 (-) positions on the System Panel Header. Is this correct?
    If so, what function is the PLED1 Power LED Header?
    Thank you
    That sounds correct, given that pin #1 is in the lower left corner, and pin #2 is above it, rather than to the right of pin #1. You must be matching the System Panel Header diagram in the manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	z97 ex6 sys header.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	754549

The other three pin power LED header, PLED1, is functionally equivalent to the power LED connections on the System Panel Header. Apparently some PC cases use a single three pin power LED connector, rather than the individual + and - connection for the power LED that your case has. The PLED1 header is simply a convenience for different power LED connectors that a PC case might have.

Personally, all the PC cases I've used have the individual + and - connectors like yours. In other areas of the world, the single three pin power LED connector may be the standard, or that connection might be a legacy type, used on older PC cases.

Comment

Parsec, thank you again!
      ASRock Z97 Extreme6 ATX LGA 1150--Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1150--EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC 2.0 ACX GPU--Corsair H80i 120mm Liquid Cooler--Kingston HyperX Predator Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2666--EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold Modular--Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower--Crucial MX100 128GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--WD 500GB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD--WD My Book 4TB External HD--Windows 10--1 extra top-mount Thermaltake 200mm Blue LED exhaust fan.

Comment

I do have another question: Next to the HD_AUDIO1 is a COM1 header. What is that for?
        Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by kephafan View Post
          I do have another question: Next to the HD_AUDIO1 is a COM1 header. What is that for?
          Thanks again
          "Com1" is also known as a serial port. Serial ports are not often used anymore, but when they were, you'd see it
          as a way to connect an external modem to a PC, and sometimes printers. They are still used in the server and
          storage world for providing out-of-band communication with devices like storage arrays, tape libraries, and switches
          (and probably some legacy industrial control applications as well).

General Wisdom: If you don't know what it is, you don't need it, and can forget it's there.

Historical note: Although people talked about having a "standard serial port", the standard was one of the loosest
          I can recall, with pinouts being very different from one vendor to the next.

--
          Liberty breeds responsibility

Comment

Hello and Welcome SelfGovern

Originally posted by SelfGovern View Post
            General Wisdom: If you don't know what it is, you don't need it, and can forget it's there.
            Well said.

Originally posted by SelfGovern View Post
            Historical note: Although people talked about having a "standard serial port", the standard was one of the loosest
            I can recall, with pinouts being very different from one vendor to the next.
            Odd, I don't recall the pinouts from vendor to vendor being different. I lived through the "modem wars' and I recall alot of commands being butchered between differing manufacturers. But not DB9 COM/Serial pinouts.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

SelfGovern, thank you for the explanation!

Comment

Hi Parsec,

I also have an ASRock X99 motherboard with both PLED (2 pin connector) and PLED1(3 pin connector 2+/1-). I also have two momentary switches each with an LED (two wires). One switch I will use as a power switch and use the pins on the system header for power/LED. The other switch I want to use as a reset switch. I will attach the power wires to the reset connectors on the system header but the system header does not have reset LEDs connectors. Could I use the one of + connectors on the PLED1 and the - connector on the PLED1 to light my reset switch LED? Much appreciated.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by OrgChem View Post
                  Hi Parsec,

I also have an ASRock X99 motherboard with both PLED (2 pin connector) and PLED1(3 pin connector 2+/1-). I also have two momentary switches each with an LED (two wires). One switch I will use as a power switch and use the pins on the system header for power/LED. The other switch I want to use as a reset switch. I will attach the power wires to the reset connectors on the system header but the system header does not have reset LEDs connectors. Could I use the one of + connectors on the PLED1 and the - connector on the PLED1 to light my reset switch LED? Much appreciated.

Steve
                  If you just want to have the LED of the reset switch on, then connecting it to the PLED1 connector should work. As long as it has separate wires for each connection of course.

The two headers are just options for different types of power LED connectors, depending on (usually) what your PC case has.

I would not think that using one of the power LED headers (for power switch) would deactivate the other. Both headers are just +5V connectors for low power LED usage.

Comment

Working...
                  X