• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Extreme4 > UEFI > Strange adaptive voltages

ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    UEFI 3.00
    Intel i7 4770K
    G.SKILL Ares 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1866 (F3-1866C10D-16GAB)

In UEFI, under OC Tweaker > Load Optimized CPU Setting, the Turbo 4.0GHz profile has some strange voltages for Vcore Adaptive Voltage and CPU Cache Adaptive Voltage. The min-max range of those voltages is listed as 0.8V to 2.0V, but for the 4.0GHz profile, the values filled in for both of those adaptive voltages is 0.020. Two other profiles give reasonable voltages: Turbo 4.2GHz has Vcore=1.200 and CPU Cache=1.150; Turbo 4.4GHz has Vcore=1.300 and CPU Cache=1.270.

My question is whether those 0.020 voltages are bugs or if you can enter voltages relative to some baseline? So, for the 4.0GHz profile, do they actually correspond to something like 1.020 for each adaptive voltage?

Edit: as requested in post #4, screenshots attached. I can only attach one screenshot per post, so this post has the screenshot of the 4.0GHz profile being selected. See post #5 for a screenshot of the adaptive voltages.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mdmower; 08-16-2014, 11:20 PM. Reason: min to baseline wording in question

Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 > UEFI > Strange adaptive voltages

That sounds like a bug in the 4.0GHz profile. Those settings seem like they should be the Adaptive Voltage offsets, and not the Adaptive CPU voltage.

If you are sure they are not the offset voltages, then IMO they are a mistake. You should be able to enter a voltage within the given range.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      That sounds like a bug in the 4.0GHz profile. Those settings seem like they should be the Adaptive Voltage offsets, and not the Adaptive CPU voltage.

If you are sure they are not the offset voltages, then IMO they are a mistake. You should be able to enter a voltage within the given range.
      I typed the names of the voltage fields just as they are written in UEFI. I'm pretty sure this is a little bug in the profile, and I'm hoping word gets passed to an ASRock engineer for the next UEFI update (if there is one).

Comment

You could use the same Adaptive voltages used for the Turbo 4.2 profile for the 4.0 OC profile.

A screenshot of those settings would be good to post here. If you put a USB flash drive into a USB port, and when in the BIOS and on that screen, press the F12 function key, a picture of the screen will be saved to the USB flash drive. You could then upload the picture here and include it in a post in this thread.

Comment

I am only allowed to attach one file per post, so post #1 has a screenshot of the 4.0GHz profile being selected and this post shows the adaptive voltages that are automatically set by the profile.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mdmower View Post
            I am only allowed to attach one file per post, so post #1 has a screenshot of the 4.0GHz profile being selected and this post shows the adaptive voltages that are automatically set by the profile.
            That one picture is plenty, thanks.

Yes that is obviously a mistake, as the Vcore voltage additional offset option is there just below it. I wanted you to post that picture so an ASRock employee can see it and immediately know what you are saying is true.

You could try using that setting, which is outside the range of valid Adaptive VCore values, and should not even be allowed to be entered. You could save and exit with that setting, and when the PC fails to POST or boot, you can claim the Turbo 4.0 profile fails to boot, which would be true. It's possible that while this profile displays the voltage in that way, when actually saved it will become something else that works. That would explain why no one else has noticed this problem besides yourself, or at least created a thread about it.

Comment

Working...
            X