Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which SATA3 ports are Intel and which ports are ASmedia Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which SATA3 ports are Intel and which ports are ASmedia Please?

In the diagram above, which 6 ports are native to INTEL and which 4 ports are ASMEDIA please?

I presume if all ports are used I would be better off putting the optical drives in the ASMEDIA ports and the SATA3 HDDs and SATA3 SSDs in the INTEL slots?

Thanks

Re: Which SATA3 ports are Intel and which ports are ASmedia Please?

As per pdf document
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sata ports2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	754566

Comment

I've seen some mother board manufactures include a note to not put optical drives (ATAPI devices) on ASMedia or Marvell chipset SATA ports.

They've been doing that since at least 2010, for the Marvell ports on my X58 mother board. A current example:

Motherboards - MAXIMUS VII GENE - ASUS

Comment

Thanks guys. That's really helpful.

My plan was to put the optical drives in the ASMEDIA ports as I read somewhere that these ports are much slower than the INTEL ports. Is this true? Is it worth trying the ATAPI devices in the ASMEDIA ports and see what happens? or will they just not work? Thanks.

Comment

You're far better of buying a plug-in PCI-e based controller card.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
          X