I need some help guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help guys

Okay here is the problem,my Video Card overheats. I hav an eMachines T6520 and then i purchase a used Ati x850 xt pe 256 Pci-E onine.In the beggining everythiing was perfect,i finally had a good computer but now im starting to have some problems, I keep having pop-ups from Ati Control Center Saying my Video Card is overheating and they are lowing down the core speed or something like that,also when i play games which i would normally get around 110+fps in such as CS:Source it goes horrible like drops from 10+ to about 20 adn back and forth to the point that i cant even play. I Have 1 Case Fan on the Back with LED lights and 1 fan on my Power Supply 1 fan on my porcessor and 1 fan/heatsink on my video card. Right now my temps are 64 C and im jsut typing this,i even have my case open so it can get more air but nothing also i have a 300w power supply,can someone please help me thnaks
    -From an OverHeated Video Card Owner

Re: I need some help guys

any1 can help me please?

Comment

You seem to have hit all the highlights so it appears you already know the answer.

First off, while not a direct affect toward your problems, I would seriously consider a new power supply as 300 watts isn't nearly enough for the power hungry X850 series boards plus all the system components you have. Just make sure your PSU is an industry standard variety before getting a new one. Some OEM manufacturers use certain non-standard components.

As to your problems, airflow (or rather the lack of it) is going to be the biggest contributor to your problems. When you take the side panel off, you're not really creating any additional airflow. Take a fan or small air conditioning unit and aim it at the removed panel and see if it takes care of the problem. Odds are good it will dramatically effect the system temps. This indicates an airflow problem. Just remember the normal rules for setting it up and you'll be fine. Have your intake set up low and to the front of the case with the exhaust being positioned toward the upper/rear portion of the case. This allows for heat's natural rising to help in expelling the heat being created by the processor and internal components. If your current enclosure will not allow this type of addition of fans, you may have to either modify the case or get a new one. The eMachine systems that I've worked on in the past have standard motherboards so shouldn't be a problem if you decide to get another case.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Also what kind of speeds is your VGA fan running at? Mine didn't kick up very much so I installed ATI try tools. I set my fan and then tweaked it over the next couple of days until I could run anything and hear (and see) what my temps vs fan speed were. Also, I installed the Artic VGA cooling fan on my video card. 10C drop with no fan noise! Fan on VGA used to be loudest thing on my system.

Comment

I would get a new power supply say 500w or more, then ya video card fan will be running at full rpm, then download a program called ati tool and c what your video card memory temp and core temp are, if you have the same problem, click on settings in ati tool then go to fan control i think it is, make sure its running at 100% and make sure you have ati tool load at windows startup, another prob might be since you have a 300w ps its only getting half the power to run your v/c fan or the ps fan is located on the bottom which then projects heat onto the v/c giving you a fake reading in ati tool, another solution is get a new cooling system for your v/c that will drop the temp say 10-15d/c but u need a new power supply to run that even, so buy a 500w power supply would be the best bet.

Comment

Is there an update? I was searching google for anything on upgrading the PSU on a T6520 and ran into this post. The funny thing is that I am looking into getting the same video card (X850 XT PE) but I want to do everyting right and upgrade the PSU and add a cooling fan and/or upgrade the CPU's fan and heat sink. Any suggestions?

Comment

imo i think you need a new case emachines or hp or whatever brand name case dont allow good air flow a friend of mine had that problem before but when he got a new case everything was fine.

Comment

if your video card has a nice fancy cover on it, make sure there isn't dirt under the cover - there was on mine and it caused all sorts of problems
                http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Working...
                X