damn bmp own me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn bmp own me.....

Ok WEIRD problem! Today I saw a cool pic on the internet and went to go save it. The only option I have it "untitled" and in BMP compression...... what?

What happened to the file name and jpg? I mean I went to properties on the file and it IS a jpg with an oddball xxx_xxx_xxx.jpg file name. But I only have the option as a bmp and I first have to save it as a jpg and change the file name. Help?

Just for your info though the animated smilies when I post work.

"The only option I have it "untitled" and in BMP compression...... what?"

This happen to me to, but only when the pic i want to save is in bmp format. jpg or anything else then it get's the real filename.

(Win XP Pro)

:cheers:

Comment

I've had that happen on an unnamed auction site.
      The pic hosting services use this method for their customers.

Never fought it, or investigated how it works - just went ahead and harvested the file in .bmp format.
      Often, I have changed the file name from "untitled" though, you can still save it as any name you want.

this reminds me, I got some of those in a folder somewhere that I need to get converted to .jpg one of these days
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I find this happening to me at many sites preiodically and I find it highly annoying... anyone have any ideas?
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

The thing is......its not on random sites. ITS EVERYWHERE!! and it just started TODAY! Anything that is as jpg format. WIll take the name "untitled.bmp" until I save it as something else.....

Comment

Ok if ya come across it again refresh the page then try again as in most instances this will work (only way I could rip some of my babe pic's). ;)
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I know some sites seem to do this on purpose, however if all the sites you're looking at do this, or you notice some sites change to become BMP sites then something is wrong for sure!

It's probably a registry problem...something forcing IE to identify all pics as BMP by default. If I find the solution I'll post it up, but I don't know any off hand except try a repair of IE.
              My Machine

Comment

Cool, I am keen to see what you find out!
                Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I actually think that it's something used by certain sites to cut down on ppl copyin' their pic's so it's a maskin' code imbedded in the page (just like ya can't view the source code of some sites). ;)

Comment

True Wiggo, some sites specifically try to force BMP or IMG or other such formats so people can't easily copy or store their pics. But this shouldn't happen for EVERY image in IE, and MS recognise this.

I've found the Microsoft Knowledgebase article which resolves this problem: Here.

Basically you need to clean out your Temporary Internet Folder then check your Downloaded Program Files directory - the full procedure is detailed in the link above.

Don't say I don't look after you guys :p
                    My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
                      True Wiggo, some sites specifically try to force BMP or IMG or other such formats so people can't easily copy or store their pics. But this shouldn't happen for EVERY image in IE, and MS recognise this.

I've found the Microsoft Knowledgebase article which resolves this problem: Here.

Basically you need to clean out your Temporary Internet Folder then check your Downloaded Program Files directory - the full procedure is detailed in the link above.

Don't say I don't look after you guys :p
                      Nah PI...we would never say that...:kay:
                      This is what have made me get clinged to TT...i keep learning new things every day...
                      If only i could thank you guys...:cheers:
                      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                      Last Updated:
                      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                      ======================
                      jabber : [email protected]
                      =======================
                      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                      yabaa dabaa doo...
                      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

We may get ya to work it off at a later date. :devil win

Comment

well it would be my pleasure to return favours to TT in someway...:cheers:
                          Last Updated:
                          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                          ======================
                          =======================
                          yabaa dabaa doo...
                          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Ya may not realise what ya might be in for with that statement. :laugh:

Comment

you are not going to make me fetch beer supply for ya...are u?
                              :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
                              Last Updated:
                              10th MARCH

======================
                              =======================
                              yabaa dabaa doo...
                              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                              X