Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP backward-compatibility

i know that most motherboards that support AGP 8x also take 4x, 2x, and 1x,
    i was wondering whether you could put an AGP 8x card on a 4 or 2x motherboard??
    thanks,
    Andrew

Your video board should have a blurb on the box about what standards that it can work with. As long as you can match a standard on the board with the AGP supported on the motherboard, then you should be fine.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

The one's that I've seen so far are 8x/4x compatible so if your mobo is 4x compatible then ya fine but from what I've seen so far those with 1x/2x AGP mobos are out of luck. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Many people dont realize this but its not the AGP 1/2/4/8x you should worry about its the voltages. Some new motherboards like the 8x ones will not take the older cards since they only support the lower voltages so cards like GF2+(not too sure) or even later ones will only run properly since they can use the lower voltage, the older cards need higher voltage so they can burn out new motherboards, i have heard of an Intel motherboard burn out along with the TNT card. Just becarefull of that

Comment

The voltages do change with the AGP speed but they are standard so that a motherboard that supports AGP 2x/4x or AGP 4x/8x will supply the proper voltages as these are keyed by the AGP connectors. So long as a motherboard and a video card have one supporting feature (mobo w/ 2x/4x AGP and a v/c with 4x/8x) then both will work at the common rate (which is 4x in this example with both speed and voltage to suit). That which you report was something that happened with some cheaper video cards that didn't adhere to the AGP standards though thankfully there wern't many of them. ;)

Comment

Ha Guys,

It's been a bit, and I've been out of the loop for a while,
            I've been thinking about a new vc upgrade, and have just begun filtering through the threads on possible compat issues, so give me your feed back on my MSI K7T 266A and the Abit:

Siluro™ GF4 Ti4200-8X
            Experience the most realistic visual environment with Siluro GF4 Ti4200-8X series. By using the latest NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200-8X GPU with AGP 8X, you can enjoy smooth video streaming and seamless game play ever. Combining the nFiniteFX™ II Engine, nView™, Accuview Antialiasing™ and Lightspeed Memory Architecture (LMA) II techniques, Siluro GF4 Ti4200-8X series provide your unprecedented visual experiences!

Thxs

Comment

A couple of more lines down answers the question, "AGP 8X/4X/2X/1X with Fast Writes and AGP texturing supporting" , so pretty much anyone is safe with this one unless Abit are tellin' fibs. ;)

Comment

:cheers: Always safe with the WIGGO stamp of Aproval........merry xmas to the the wiggo clan.

Comment

And the same to you & your's. :devil win

<small>a couple more of them than mine if I remember</small>

Comment

Working...
                  X