Dual-Cores CPUs from AMD and Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual-Cores CPUs from AMD and Intel

An article at AMDzone.net has information regarding the dual-core Opterons that were recently revealed.
    This past Monday night AMD announced that they would be demonstrating dual core 90nm Opterons here in Austin. I jumped at the chance to see a demonstration so Wednesday afternoon I arrived at AMD eager to get a glimpse of the upcoming CPU in action. This article will reveal images of the new CPU and systems it was running in as well as summarize AMD's plans for dual core in 2005.
    Read the rest here.

Intel also has plans for dual-core CPUs (that will likely ship later than AMD's) and seems to be moving more and more away from the strategy of increasing clock speed to improve performance.

Read more here.

Personally, I'm more interested in AMD's dual-core CPU as Intel still has to work on other areas to get out of the strategy of simply increasing clock speed. Being dual-core doesn't elimnate the need of more L1 cache or a replacement for the front side bus.

Credit for finding the articles goes to a certain Forum Junkie Admin who shall go unnamed here.

*And a certain Lazy S Mod mentioned that he might post some news for the front page for Mr. Tweak. This would certainly be a start.
Working...
X