Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal temperature for Prescott

Hi all!

What is the norma temperature for pentium 4 3.0 HT, because my cpu is getting up to 75C or more (when i play ut2k3 at max graphics). My normal cpu temp is about 50C.

Is this normal?
    Attached Files

Re: Normal temperature for Prescott

is ur system overclocked or somethning? Cuz how is your core speed higher than the orginal clock speed?

Comment

Zeeg: The core speed is higher because the native FSB of the mainboard is running at 200.9MHz. This is very common with Tier 1 board manufacturers. My own system does a similar thing since the FSB runs at 200.9 and reports the processor speed at 2412MHz. So no, the system is not overclocked.

Anubis: The first thing I would do is to get a real thermal probe and get an accurate temperature reading. You can pick up something simple like a Compu-Nurse for pretty cheap or get something along the lines of a Digi-Doc for a good deal more. Asus Probe is notorious for giving results that are terribly high and it has had this reputation for several years. To my knowledge they have yet to get the issue fixed. At the least, try looking into a utility called Motherboard Monitor 5 and see if it supports your motherboard and chipset. The program maker has done away with updates so there are no future support options for this utility, but it may support the gear you have in place. It will give a truer reading as it detects the data from the Winbond chip that is likely used on your board. Once we get a more accurate result we can decide whether you have need of additional cooling.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Zeeg: the cpu is not overclocked.

http://www.micomps.com/product_p/c99034.htm <= here are the CPU characteristics for my CPU and there is the maximum operating temperature 69.1°C so i think my temperature should be normal or? I think i'll by new zalman coller but i can't find any zalman to fit on teh asus p4p800s-x. Can someone help? I have one question can i cahnge my fan RPM (i have the intel coller that come with the cpu) Here is a screenshoot from mbm 5 (i'we selectet only asus p4p800 series because i did not find p4p800s-x)
        Attached Files

Comment

Ah, didn't see the Prescott moniker the first time through. These processors are running pretty hot from everything I've heard. While you're not in an area to give you problems, you might still want to look into something better for CPU cooling. If you can afford water or other alternative cooling, that might be a good way to go. While there is very good air cooling available, they temd to be a bit on the loud side. Water gives you better cooling with a lot less noise.

Just something to consider.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Yes Prescotts do run hot but at 75C they start throttling. Check your case's airflow as this is the first part that will cause high temps with Prescotts if airflow is insuffient.

Comment

I have tryed all but nothing helps. So can someone please help me to find a zalman cu or alcu that would fit on my MB asus p4p800s-x.

Comment

Anubis,

I was googling for this very subject, so joined to make this post.

I have a p4p800S-X and have identical problems to you! I built my system in Feb with a p4 3.2 1mb 478pin prescott.

With the stock HSF my computer idled at 60degs.

The thermal throttle on the CPU is 66degrees, and I'd hit 75 or so under load, so that's hopeless.

I bought a ThermalTake copper heatsink/fan combo (one that allowed me to be lazy enough to just drop it onto the standard mounting bracket).

At full rpm the machine now idles at 47degrees, and under load goes to 57.5, which I find acceptable.

However, the noise is unbearable. The fan spins at 7000 rpm's and generates 45db! So I've solved the cooling problem, but it's by no means an elegant solution.

I too am looking for a quieter system, I really regret buying the p4 this time. I had an AMD previously and was fairly unhappy. I can't seem to win. :(

Does ANYONE know of a zalman HSF that will fit the p4p800S-X? I'm tempted to buy the CNPS7000-ALCU just on the chance that it will fit the board. Much googling on the subject realises no luck, and I think the Zalman website which list mobo support is horribly out of date for Intel boards, because I've read posts by people on other forums who've attached Zalman's to boards not on the supported list.

Fome.

Comment

I have a socket 478 prescott 3.0ghz in a shuttle SB61G2V3 which runs at 49 degrees celcius with 2 folding at home instances running 24/7. I've only seen the temp go up to 54 degrees tops via speedfan or MBM5 [ i prefer speedfan though].

Comment

Hi guys. I found your post on this website about your prescott running hot, and thought that maybe my experience with a my prescott might be able to help you. I have a 2.8Ghz Prescott overclocked to about 3.2 and with the standard heatsink it was running at about 50c idol and up to 60c under full load. At this temperature the fan would slowly crank up to 5-6k (pretty loud). I never experienced temps as high as yours though. However, only a week ago, i got a new FHS and its EXTREMELY quiet and EXTREMELY effective. I get about 41-44 degrees idol and a maximum of 50 degrees on full load (using asusprobe). There is only one problem with this FHS. Its very large, almost 13-14 cm across, but if you have the room in your case i would strongly recommend it. I would also recommend a powerful rear fan to blow the hot air out of the case. I have mine connected to a fan control so when i sleep i can turn it down. Anyway, you can find info on both of these products on this website:

1) My CPU FHS --> http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1782.htm
                    2) My Rear fan --->
                    http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod564.htm

I can not recommend the CPU FHS enough. On the highest speed, the noise is bearly audible (1.8k rpm) and on low (800rpm) there is absolutely no noise at all. The Rear fan is also pretty quiet, although on full (2.5k rpm) it can be a bit loud.

Well i hope this helps.
                    Best of luck!
                    PP

Comment

These temps are all high compared to my rig. I use an Arctic Freezer 4 on my P4 2.8E socket 478 and I never see over 50C on my MSI 865PE NEO2 motherboard at stock speeds. I idle around 30C. I do have 8 fans running, although I chose quiet types and the fan noise is more than tolerable. I use a four channel fan controller to quiet it down for non-gaming activities. I modified my case extensively for airflow. I cannot recommend that enough. I run tons of cold cathodes and such and still have no heat issues.

My computer :
                      P4 2.8E Arctic cooler Freezer 4 socket 478 (Don't forget the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste)
                      MSI 865PE NEO2 Motherboard
                      OCZ Modstream 520W power supply
                      Ultra PC4000 Dual channel ram (1G)
                      9800 PRO/XT (Bios mod) Arctic cooling Silencer 2 + Tweakmonster ramsinks and Tweakmonster dual fan bracket blowing across AGP area
                      Audigy Gamer with Digital Out daughter card
                      3500AG 16X Dual Layer DVD Burner
                      LG 16X DVD-ROM
                      Western Digital 80GB SATA 8MB cache 7200RPM
                      Hitachi 80GB SATA 8MB cache 7200RPM
                      Logitech Z-680 5.1 speakers (THE BEST FOR GAMING, absolutely incredible sound!)

Even overclocked I never see over 55C even when gaming. I don't know if my readings may be low, but I have spent ALOT of time and effort on cooling. Just so you know, I used a cheap case and modded it my way, window and all.
                      Last edited by casecutter; 04-17-2005, 12:50 PM. Reason: Add details
                      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                      PC P&C 500W PSU
                      2TB Seagate
                      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I to would recommend a good hsf , But if you can I would recommend Corsair COOL Water Cooling Kit for Socket 478 or Thermaltake Aquarius III Liquid Cooling System .Just make sure you shop around. the Corsair kit would be the logical choice just because the price is alot cheaper than what the Thermaltake kit is. and it does not take no elbow grease to put either of these systems in. and if your concerned about posible leaks, dont be. The components have gotten better over the years and the two kits mentioned are of the highest quality components. I would also recommend if you purchase one of these kits or others .Just make sure you run them 24 hours in advance just to check for leaks. and Dont plug your PC in until then , you dont want to fry your components. Also just use regular tap water for now for the 24hr test run......Dont want to waste your coolent. ; )

Comment

Anubis ....... i note from your second post pic that it appears you have no case fans, is this correct ?

If it is I would strongly suggest you get at least 1 x 80mm inlet and 1 x 80mm exhaust for your box, even a Zalman won't make an incredible difference if there is no airflow through the case, it will only recirculate the heated air.

You may also like to check that the cpu cooler is seated correctly, and change the thermal paste to Arctic Silver 5 if you do remove the cooler.
                          E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

chances are his fans are running on molexes and arent monitored

Comment

I have the P4P800 Deluxe (I don't know if that's similar in layout to the S-X). I just installed a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu over my Presott P4 3gig without any problems. Idles around 43C at standard clock. Heavily loaded and overclocked by 10% and the CPU temp has not risen above 60C.

Sorry if this is of no value since it's not the exact same board, but I figure any info might be helpful.

-taralius

Originally posted by fomelyone
                              Anubis,

I was googling for this very subject, so joined to make this post.

I have a p4p800S-X and have identical problems to you! I built my system in Feb with a p4 3.2 1mb 478pin prescott.

With the stock HSF my computer idled at 60degs.

The thermal throttle on the CPU is 66degrees, and I'd hit 75 or so under load, so that's hopeless.

I bought a ThermalTake copper heatsink/fan combo (one that allowed me to be lazy enough to just drop it onto the standard mounting bracket).

At full rpm the machine now idles at 47degrees, and under load goes to 57.5, which I find acceptable.

However, the noise is unbearable. The fan spins at 7000 rpm's and generates 45db! So I've solved the cooling problem, but it's by no means an elegant solution.

I too am looking for a quieter system, I really regret buying the p4 this time. I had an AMD previously and was fairly unhappy. I can't seem to win. :(

Does ANYONE know of a zalman HSF that will fit the p4p800S-X? I'm tempted to buy the CNPS7000-ALCU just on the chance that it will fit the board. Much googling on the subject realises no luck, and I think the Zalman website which list mobo support is horribly out of date for Intel boards, because I've read posts by people on other forums who've attached Zalman's to boards not on the supported list.

Fome.
                              Last edited by taralius; 06-04-2005, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X