Asrock Z87E-itx will not recognize second and third HDDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z87E-itx will not recognize second and third HDDs

I am building a new HTPC using the Silverstone Raven case, Intel i5-4670k processor, and Asrock Z87E-itx motherboard. My other main components are a Silverstone Tek SFX 450 watt power supply, EVGA Geforce GTX 760 video card, 16 gb of Crucial Ballistix Sport ram, MyDigitalSSD 250 gb mSATA SSD. I have put everything together, and use the mSATA SSD as the boot drive. Everything works; however, when I tried adding additional SATA hard drives for storage, the BIOS and Windows does not recognize them. My other computer does recognize the drives, so I know they are working. I even bought a brand new notebook drive to try, and it still is not being recognized.

At the suggestion of the computer salesperson at Micro Center (where I purchased the motherboard), I switched out the SATA cables, and still no luck. He suggested a faulty motherboard, so I swapped it out with a replacement. Still same problem. Is it possible that the power supply is faulty? I do not hear the drives spin up. However, it is a single rail power supply, and it is providing power to everything else. The salesperson didn't think it was the power supply since it turns everything else on, but maybe a bad SATA power cable? I have put in an order for a replacement power supply with Amazon, but was wondering if any of you had any insight into the potential problem. Much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Asrock Z87E-itx will not recognize second and third HDDs

Any chance these "additional' HDD's have dual power? ie SATA and 4pin molex that you might try powering using one of the two 4pin the PSU has

Or have any 4pin to SATA power adapters laying around?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidaniel View Post
      I am building a new HTPC using the Silverstone Raven case, Intel i5-4670k processor, and Asrock Z87E-itx motherboard. My other main components are a Silverstone Tek SFX 450 watt power supply, EVGA Geforce GTX 760 video card, 16 gb of Crucial Ballistix Sport ram, MyDigitalSSD 250 gb mSATA SSD. I have put everything together, and use the mSATA SSD as the boot drive. Everything works; however, when I tried adding additional SATA hard drives for storage, the BIOS and Windows does not recognize them. My other computer does recognize the drives, so I know they are working. I even bought a brand new notebook drive to try, and it still is not being recognized.

At the suggestion of the computer salesperson at Micro Center (where I purchased the motherboard), I switched out the SATA cables, and still no luck. He suggested a faulty motherboard, so I swapped it out with a replacement. Still same problem. Is it possible that the power supply is faulty? I do not hear the drives spin up. However, it is a single rail power supply, and it is providing power to everything else. The salesperson didn't think it was the power supply since it turns everything else on, but maybe a bad SATA power cable? I have put in an order for a replacement power supply with Amazon, but was wondering if any of you had any insight into the potential problem. Much appreciated. Thanks.
      If you can't hear the drives spin up, then they are simply not getting power. That is also confirmed by the drives not being seen in the BIOS.

Is your PSU modular, I'm not sure if I'm finding the right model when I search on "Silverstone Tek SFX 450". If it is modular, you may need to check that you have the SATA power cables plugged into the PSU correctly, as in the correct socket. There are several SATA power cables with that PSU, so try another one too.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        Is your PSU modular, I'm not sure if I'm finding the right model when I search on "Silverstone Tek SFX 450".
        SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- ST45SF

It's not modular. Also appears one "line' with three SATA and one "line' with two 4pin molex.

I suggested using the 4pin "line' w/SATA adapter if necessary as that would maybe rule out a bad/defective first or second in "line' SATA connector that kept power from passing thru to the next one(s) down the line.

Then too, I've had some that seemingly took a gorrilla to connect/insert fully.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Which is why I said I was not sure what model PSU we are dealing with here.

Searching on "Silverstone Tek SFX 450 watt power supply" from the first post also gives this:

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- ST45SF-G

That's the modular version of this PSU, which is 80+ Gold, rated for 40C operation. The version in your link is 80+ Bronze, and rated for 50C operation.

What am I missing that indicates the OP has the non-modular model? It could be of course, I just don't see it.

Comment

Damn!

Just trying to help was all. Sorry to the both of you.

Comment

Working...
            X