System turns on by itself....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System turns on by itself....

This is a weird problem that I've never seen before. My system runs just fine and at the end of the day I always shut it down but come morning the darn thing is on again. I have an ASUS Sabertooth X79 board running an i7 4820k with 32 GB of Kingston DDR3 1866 RAM (quad channel mode), an HIS 7970 video card, 1000 w PSU, and two Samsung 500 GB SSD drives plus I'm running Windows 8.1 and recently downloaded the new update for Windows 8.1. The system works fine with no BSOD, crashing or anything else. I shut it off and it goes off but seems to take its good old time doing so. Once in awhile it will start up about 5 minutes after shutting it down or sometimes it will stay off for hours then mysteriously comes on without being touched. I took everything out and then put it all back together thinking maybe it was something simple. It doesn't run hot, using a Silverstone closed loop water cooling system set up in a push pull configuration. I thought it might be a heat issue but haven't seen it go above 60 degrees C even under load and it idles at 26 C. I have moved the RAM around until I ran out of combinations, tried it with just 16 GB and it continues to turn on without it being touched. The BIOS is the most recent one I can get and everything in it I set to the defaults so even the RAM is running at just 1600.

I thought maybe it's a static issue but there are times it does stay off. I set everything to go to sleep after an hour which it does and there's no problem getting it to come back on. I'm lost, any other ideas or suggestions sure would be helpful.

Re: System turns on by itself....

hehehe, the BIOS doesn't have any of the Wake on/by ?? options enabled does it?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      hehehe, the BIOS doesn't have any of the Wake on/by ?? options enabled does it?
      I have one here and thought I'd be nice to have the Wake By USB set thinking the mouse just sitting there surely couldn't be causing it to wake. It was, I swear I couldn't see it move but if I dropped a box in the living room she'd start up.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

That was one of the first things I thought about so I went and took a look at those settings and they are all disabled. I had thought about updating the BIOS in case there was something messed up with it but then again it isn't crashing on me not even playing games that are maxed out visually.

Comment

Hmmm, some Google Fu here produced this one:

Asus P9x79 Pro won't stay shut off - Asus - Motherboards

Comment

Working...
          X