Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock E3C226D2I - can't boot, can't connect with IPMI

Hello everybody,

today I tried to upgrade my NAS with ECC-support (new RAM/CPU/Mainboard), but after assembly I ran into some issues with the mainboard, the ASRock E3C226D2I.

What happened:

- at first boot I have visual! :)
    - I open BIOS to look around and change some settings (one of which I'm positive is to "ENABLE" VGA out instead of "AUTO", others to enable Wake-On-LAN)
    - I have no more video on the next boot :(
    - Looking in manuals everywhere to try and find some way to restore my BIOS to default
    - I never used IPMI before, but decided to give it a go, switched my ethernet cable from LAN to IPMI and looked up the ip address in my DHCP lease table and voila; I was in the IPMI webinterface!
    - Tried to find some option that looked like resetting BIOS or something and found "Restore factory settings". I had already changed the dynamic network option to static to give it the IP after the static IP of the NAS itself. Then I restored factory settings while preserving the network settings.
    - Now I cannot seem to reach this IP (192.168.1.109) any longer, while before I was able to access it via web and ssh.
    - I tried setting the ME Recovery Jumper to 2-3 as to reset IPMI, but that didn't seem to work (or I'm doing it wrong) - I cannot connect to the static IP and I see no new leases appear.

In case it matters:
    - the BMC led is blinking.
    - if I remember correctly: there was a warning icon in IMPI next to the vcore voltage; it was 1.700-something volts I think.

My question: what can I do to check what is at fault and fix this/or how do I reset the CMOS and IPMI settings, or any other troubleshooting tips ?

Figured I'd try nmap -sn, but this did not reveal any IPs the IPMI uses.

TLDR;
    == Solutions ==
    1. reset BIOSby removing battery for ~ 20 seconds to restore video output
    2. update UEFI from 1.70 to 1.80 and BMC from 0.12 to 0.13 to restore IPMI (no IP was leased)
    Last edited by Cornelis; 04-24-2014, 03:42 PM. Reason: added solutions

Re: ASRock E3C226D2I - can't boot, can't connect with IPMI

Originally posted by Cornelis View Post
    - the BMC led is blinking.
    Is it blinks brightly or dimly?

Comment

It is continuously dim for a few seconds at power on, after that it keeps blinking brightly.
      Last edited by Cornelis; 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornelis View Post
        It is continuously dimly for a few seconds at power on, after that it keeps blinking brightly.
        I have an issue when I can't turn on the system and can't connect with IPMI. The BMC LED is always blinks dimly when it happens. And it happens after the PSU power switching off/on.
        I found a workaround for this - just remove the MB battery for several minutes then place it back. It's awkward solution, but at least it works. Try it, maybe it will help.

Comment

Originally posted by arabesc View Post
          I have an issue when I can't turn on the system and can't connect with IPMI. The BMC LED is always blinks dimly when it happens. And it happens after the PSU power switching off/on.
          I found a workaround for this - just remove the MB battery for several minutes then place it back. It's awkward solution, but at least it works. Try it, maybe it will help.
          Yes, I have the same problem. Sometimes I can get it to boot by grounding the PSON pin of the power supply. But this didn't work the last time and I needed to pull the battery and redo the BIOS setup.

It's annoying, I don't think it will be ever fixed. ASRockRack doesn't even reply to my email anymore. So when I find something new I am going to git rid of this motherboard because it has other problems as well.

It's sad because I like ASRock. But ASRockRack is not the same.

Comment

Thanks to View Profile: ASRockRack TSD - Bill - TweakTown Forums for all his help regarding my problems I was having.

So far I have been able to restore video output by removing the CMOS battery for ~ 20 seconds and I'm running different tools and discussing output to reset/fix IPMI.

Comment

Originally posted by rpress View Post
              Yes, I have the same problem.
              Thanks for your reply!
              Now I know that I'm not alone with this issue.

Sometimes I can get it to boot by grounding the PSON pin of the power supply. But this didn't work the last time and I needed to pull the battery and redo the BIOS setup.
              Did you try to replace PSU? I don't have another one to try.
              And I don't remember this problem with the initial firmware.

Comment

My non-working IPMI was finally resolved after updating BIOS to 1.80 and BMC to 0.13!

Comment

Originally posted by arabesc View Post
                  Did you try to replace PSU? I don't have another one to try.
                  And I don't remember this problem with the initial firmware.
                  I did try another PSU, it was a while ago, it didn't help.

Unfortunately I am running 1.80 BIOS and 0.13.0 BMC and it still does it.

Comment

I had received a PM from William Lee @ ASRock asking to send him again the email he ignored the last time. So I did, and he ignored me again! Joke is on me I guess!

There was a new BIOS v2.0 and BMC v0.14.0 download. I installed those, same no boot problem after power fail. Still no S3 standby, either. The manual shows "Suspend Mode" setting which does not exist, it lies! Removing the battery with the mobo installed in my NAS case is very hard, it makes me angry.

I want to get rid of this board, but I feel bad selling someone this junk. Maybe I will film me destroying it with every power tool in the garage and post it to YouTube. Stay tuned.

Comment

I had received a PM from William Lee @ ASRock asking to send him again the email he ignored the last time. So I did, and he ignored me again! Joke is on me I guess!

There was a new BIOS v2.0 and BMC v0.14.0 download. I installed those, same no boot problem after power fail. Still no S3 standby, either. The manual shows "Suspend Mode" setting which does not exist, it lies! Removing the battery with the mobo installed in my NAS case is very hard, it makes me angry.

I want to get rid of this board, but I feel bad selling someone this junk. Maybe I will film me destroying it with every power tool in the garage and post it to YouTube. Stay tuned.
                      I am sorry if I have missed your email. Please help me verify if your email is in my Inbox. Would you please send me an email right now to [email protected]? And please include your forum name - rpress so I can keep track. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
                        I am sorry if I have missed your email. Please help me verify if your email is in my Inbox. Would you please send me an email right now to [email protected]? And please include your forum name - rpress so I can keep track. Thank you!
                        I have sent you the message as below. Please answer as soon as possible!
                        Hi William,

I am "rpress" on the Tweaktown forum. I really have two questions for you, could you please answer them?

First, do you guys intend to fix the S3 standby? Please just let me know if you will or will not.

Second, what about my problem of needing to pull the battery when the power goes out, like on the forum? This seems like some bug because it is not just me having this problem.

I would appreciate an answer soon, at the very least send me an email letting me know you have received this one.

Comment

Well I have finally reached a good outcome! William at ASRock America has been very helpful. Here were my problems and their resolution:

1) After removing power the battery needed to be pulled to boot again. The problem was bad hardware! It must have been a batch of bad boards because of the others in this thread with the same problem. ASRock warrantied my board and the new one does not have this problem at all.

2) No S3 standby. This is shown in the user manual so I was dismayed when that option was gone from the BIOS setup. I was sent a special 1.62d version which worked, but then the fans did not work correctly because of the mismatch with the BMC firmware. Finally ASRockRack Taiwain sent me an updated BIOS with S3 and working fans. I don't know why but I don't think they will put this into the mainline BIOS on their web site. Maybe they don't want to support it, or there is some limitation. But for me this BIOS works very well. I hope that they will put S3 into the mainline BIOS so I am not stuck on this version, but at least I have working fans now.

3) Ignored emails to support. I had multiple emails to William at ASRock America that went without any reply. I think the problem here is twofold. There is no trouble ticket tracking system so William would forget to follow up. And I think ASRockRack Taiwan was ignoring my requests, so this would not prompt an email reply to me. Finally when I posted my anger here William took a special interest in my problem and kept on top of it.

I would like to thank William at ASRock America for all his help. He was patient and tried to do his best. On the other hand I needed to send dozens of emails to finally get this resolved. I don't think I am unreasonable with my complaints mentioned above. I can't say for certain what goes on at AsRockRack Taiwan but there are some things they could do better. They could have caught the boot problem with better testing. They should have fixed the S3 standby problem in the BIOS without me needing to hound William. And finally they should be more responsive and not just ignore customer support problems.

With the amount of time I spent on all this perhaps I should have just replaced the board; I actually did but when William replied I gave it another chance. I can only hope that my struggles helped someone else out by allowing them to get their board fixed, or maybe AsRockRack will learn from this and be better in the future.

Comment

This is irritating! I am now sure I got a bad MOBO. Is there a way to find if there was/is a certain batch of lot numbers? This really annoys me! I need my second server up and running like yesterday!

Comment

Working...
                            X