ASUS A88X-PRO Bios Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS A88X-PRO Bios Issues

I am just getting ready to install Win 7 on my new ASUS A88X PRO.
    I did the normal top of cardboard box setup just to be sure every thing worked.
    In the Bios i noticed something rather odd.
    UEFI BIOS Utility - Advanced Mode
    Advanced\ SATA Configuration >
    SATA Configuration
    OnChip SATA Channel Enabled
    OnChip SATA Type AHCI
    SATA Port 5.6.ESATA 7,8 AHCI ????

If Port 5,6 and ESATA 7,8 Port are
    configured as AHCI or RAID, the
    ports can only be used under OS with
    driver installed. Set to IDE instead
    of AHCI or RAID to access devices on
    Port 5,6 and ESATA 7,8 before
    entering OS.
    For Example: I currently use a Easeus Todo 6 boot disc to restore or replace C:\ drive using the image stored on external hard drive using Esata port 7 . Does this mean that I need to set ports 5-8 as IDE ?

Attached Files

Re: ASUS A88X-PRO Bios Issues

To use Easus in the pre-OS environment, I would assume you need to set as IDE as I doubt Easus has any AHCI storage drivers it itself loads to access those ports in AHCI mode.

According to the manual(Sec 3.5.2), once you toggle the "SATA Port 5.6.ESATA 7,8" to AHCI you are also offered directly below the option "SATA Port 5 - Port 6" set to either AHCI or IDE??
    Last edited by - wardog -; 04-19-2014, 06:01 PM.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Follow up:
      Paul of EaseUS Support Team said:
      Normally, there is no problem to boot when using AHCI mode.
      If it does not work, then the drivers for the specified device would not be
      included, you can then change to IDE instead.

2014/4/20 23:52
      I am setting up a new PC and I need to set the SATA ports as either AHCI
      or IDE. -See Jpg-
      Does the Win PE boot disc provide drivers for booting using AHCI ?
      Or should I set All ports as IDE in order to boot from Win PE ?
      I plan to use both Sata port2 and Esata port7 for image backups and Restore.

It looks like I will have to install Windows 7 and EaseUS Todo Backup Home 6
      and test those ports that I will plan to use for imaging myself..
      As you know this program uses the Win PE boot disc which is part of the 1.1 GB download of
      MS AIK. So I do not know if that will have the needed AHCI drivers.

I do have one more question concerning loading Windows 7 Home Premium.
      If I set all SATA ports as AHCI will I need to inject the AHCI drivers and if so where do
      I find them ?

Comment

Boy, for simplicities sake I don't have much to offer with this other than to follow the KISS principle.

You're probably going to install the OS and do a backup and restore one or more times to find what works simply for you.

Otherwise, assuming Easus/WinPE chokes, you'll need to "inject' the AHCI drivers into WinPE.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I will install using All SATA ports set to AHCI in the BIOS.
          I will install Win 7 but not register serial at ths tme
          I will load image program and build the Win PE disc
          I will make a image inside of windows using the program itself.
          Finally Boot using that disc and see if I can Access all ports .
          If this fails I will have to change all Sata ports to IDE and start over.
          But it is better to find out now then to make 20 or more image files and
          then find out that you can't Restore Image from boot.

Comment

Originally posted by larhome View Post
            But it is better to find out now then to make 20 or more image files and
            then find out that you can't Restore Image from boot.
            Exactly. Test and confirm. I've read too many posts where people are asking for help after they need(discover!) the backup plan they've been blindly relying on for months now doesn't/isn't allowing a restore to take place.

Test and confirm.

Comment

Working...
            X