GA-EP45T-UD3P: Old Board New Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45T-UD3P: Old Board New Issue

This old board, GA-EP45T-UD3P, has been trouble free for years; ran Win XP without issue. It's my home workstation, finally had to update to Win 7 x64.

For preventive maintenance I cleared CMOS by installing a new battery and installed a new hard drive; all other hardware unchanged. Adjusted settings in the BIOS; RAM timings @ auto but did set RAM voltage to 1.55V (I remembered I had to bump it up originally). RAM spec is 1.5V.

I started the system and it did the start/stop loop during POST. I remembered this also happening originally when I first used the board, I bumped the RAM voltage to 1.6V. Win 7 loaded fine as did software, updates and my personnel data.

I started having some random BSOD's, sometimes at the welcome screen and others while browsing with IE. I set the RAM voltage to auto and checked PC Health; it showed 1.744V, that's a bit high! I installed HW Monitor, it confirmed 1.744V. That makes sense, HW Monitor and PC Health I assume use the same sensor/sender for data?

I manually set the RAM voltage again, PC Health and HW Monitor show 1.664V. I ran "many" Memtest passes, no errors. I have not had a BSOD in 24 hours; only time will tell. All other voltages shown in PC Health and HW Monitor, CPU, 12V, 5V, 3V match in both and appear normal.

My question: any documentation or known issue of this series motherboard displaying false high RAM voltage in PC Health?

Thanks.
    Last edited by MDDI; 04-24-2014, 11:56 AM.

Re: GA-EP45T-UD3P: Old Board New Issue

We have next to no information about your hardware setup.
    Telling us that you get random BSOD's tells us nothing.
    You can run Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer freeware and post the BSOD report to provide detailed BSOD information.

I've never seen any EP45 threads or posts that complained about inaccurate reported memory voltages .

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs
    portion of your forum profile at the bottom of the profile page or in your forum signature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    When you are done editing or creating your hardware list, save the settings.

You didn't say if you first loaded optimized bios defaults after clearing the CMOS.

Please provide a link to the manufacturer's web page for your memory kit.

Check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post295784, post #5 for some recommended bios settings for a stock EP45 system.

It will help if you include a cropped screen-shot that has the following information:
    • Memset using the SPD and ">>" tabs
    • cpu-z CPU and Mainboard screens (several instances can be run at the same time)
    • EasyTune6 --> TUNER tab --> ADVANCE tab --> VOLTAGE tab (only the Voltage tab is needed)
    • CoreTemp screen [for your cpu's VID (Voltage ID)]

Here are some individual sample screen-shots:

note: Coretemp's VID displayed value will vary if EIST and C1E bios settings are enabled, possibly showing 1.10 volts when your system is idle.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

profJim,

Thank you for your reply and assistance. I updated my profile and will start collecting the information you requested. It's Friday, might take me over the weekend.

Yes, I loaded optimized defaults in the BIOS and made the following settings established from previous stable settings.

RAM Link you requested:

Silverline

Current Settings:
      CPU Clock Ratio = 9
      CPU Host Control = ENA
      CPU Host Freq = 333 MHz
      PCI Express Freq = 100 MHz
      C.I.A. 2 = DIS
      Performance Enhance = Standard
      XMP = N/A
      G MCH Freq Latch = 333 MHz
      DRAM Timing Select = Auto
      Load Line Calibration = DIS
      DRAM Voltage = 1.68V (current)

Guess my original question could have been clearer. The RAM SPD voltage is 1.5V, confirmed with Mushkin Tech. Voltage ceiling on the RAM is 1.7V. Why does BIOS DRAM Voltage setting of "Auto" set RAM voltage @ 1.744V shown in PC Health? When setting DRAM Voltage to Auto it does not display the selectable value, just actual voltage in PC Health & HW Monitor.

Adjusted BIOS Voltage Settings & Results: (PC Health & HW Monitor both display the same actual voltage)
      Bios 1.5V = 1.52V PC Health = start/stop loop during POST
      BIOS 1.56V = 1.536V PC Health = start/stop loop during POST
      BIOS 1.58V = 1.568V PC Health = will POST, if RAM is cold will BSOD 60 seconds after desktop, restart and display "Windows Recovered From Unexpected Shutdown"
      BIOS 1.6V = 1.584 PC Health = will BOOT to desktop, random BSOD after start
      BIOS 1.62V = 1.600V PC Health = Boot to desktop no BSOD, random BSOD navigating Internet Explorer

I wanted to try 1.65V; 1.66 in BIOS resulted in 1.648V PC Health. I set the BIOS to 1.68V on Wednesday, PC Health shows 1.664V. I have not had a BSOD in over 48 hours. That's why I questioned the accuracy of PC Health reading?

In Windows XP x64, IE8, I had the DRAM V set BIOS 1.6V, PC Health 1.584V and the system was stable. Windows 7 x64, IE11, DRAM V BIOS 1.68V, PC Health 1.664V and I'm stable so far. I know Windows 7 uses more resources and this is less than .1V difference between 7 & XP; does this make sense?

I will not be able to send you the error dump files unless it does BSOD again; I cleaned the error dump files in Disk Cleanup and reset system restore yesterday when all appeared stable. Over the weekend I will get the SPD, MemSet and CPUZ screen-shots you requested.

Again, thanks,

MDDI

Comment

You're welcome.
        Some of the AUTO bios voltage settings are set "too high" to ensure that your system will boot.
        With some of the AUTO voltage settings, the applied voltage will exceed established safe limits.

It's normal for the reported voltage to be somewhat lower than the manual setting that you use.

You might have a problem with the auto-applied MCH Core voltage setting and EasyTune6 will display the current setting.
        With my 2x2GB Mushkin Blackline 1066MHz memory, the optimal MCH Core voltage setting was 1.26 - 1.28 volts. YMMV
        EasyTune6 will report the applied voltage for MCH Core.
        My Mushkin DDR2 memory was rated for 2.10 volts maximum and they operated best with tight memory timings at 2.02 volts.
        When I replaced win2k with win7, my Mushkin DDR2 memory settings did not need to be changed. It doesn't surprise me that this might not be the case with DDR3 memory settings with LGA775 motherboards.

MCH Core settings that are too low or too high can cause instability and/or boot loops.

I've seen many cases in the forum where P35 and P45 DDR3 systems had problems trying to run DDR3 memory kits at their rated speeds. In some cases the memory had to be under-clocked for the systems to pass stability stress tests.

I'm including WhoCrashed and BSOD screen-shot examples because sometimes the displayed information is enough to help solve common BSOD problems. BTW, I don't read and analyze BSOD dump files, but I can often find possible online solutions, especially at BSOD Help and Support - Windows 7 Help Forums

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhoCrashed Sample Screen-shot + BSOD no-reboot settings.png
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	754276

E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

profJim,

Again, thank you for your detailed reply. It's been a long time since I have posted on the forum, my system has been fine all these years. I used to PM with a member Lsdme, looks like he has not been active for awhile? All of you on the forum have been most helpful.

In fact, I have to give some credit to Gigabyte; even though this board is out of warranty they have replied to a ticket I submitted; can't beat that! Although they did not give me close to the information you have, I don't believe other board manufacturers would have offered support out of warranty?

The tech at Mushkin has also been very helpful. I bought Mushkin because of this Gigabyte Forum in the day. Mushkin has moved and gone through some changes, but still offer excellent products and support; and their products are made here in the US.

This is my workstation at home; I'm not a gamer nor do I overclock. I do run a CAD program, Solid Works. This machine has been solid and dependable until Windows 7. I've reloaded the 7 OS several times and have personal data saved over all kinds of media; this has been frustrating!

Today I had another surprise. I did have CPUZ installed with Win XP; just had not gotten around to installing on Win 7. I searched and went to CNet today (without thinking), downloaded CPUZ to desktop. I scanned the download with Malwarebytes and Avast before opening. Once I started to install, Avast popped up and I realized what was happening; another download program started!

I shutdown the system with the power button immediately! Result; 104 PUP's, HATE THOSE GUYS! All is cleaned and well now and I downloaded CPUZ from the authors site. Confirmed, memory SPD is 1.5V.

I believe I'm on the correct path; RAM voltage. Your suggestion to use Easy Tune 6 to check MCH Core V is well received. I never installed the utility bundled with the board when new; figured it was a tool for the tweaker enthusiast. I downloaded Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte today and un-zipped to desktop (yes, I scanned the un-zipped file). I will use the utility this weekend; it's Friday evening and the Boss wants to go out (tired of me screaming at my monitor).

If the MCH needs to be adjusted, possibly I can start reducing the DRAM voltage? Will advise; great advice.

Cheers,
          MDDI

Comment

Lsdme was the heart and soul of the TT forums and the last we heard from him was in late 2012.
            Lsdme's http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...1-week-so.html thread is sort of an unofficial log.

The main goal is to get your system completely stable.
            It sounds like your system with win7 is borderline stable and we need to find the optimal settings that prove to be stable.
            You can run HWiNFO64 and enable logging so that you can periodically view the logged statistics and verify that there aren't any problems with voltages, temperatures and available free memory. The default logging interval is 2000ms (i.e. every 2 seconds) and you can change the logging settings by clicking on the Configure Sensors button. You can enable auto-logging or you can manually start and stop logging at any time. You can minimize the HWiNFO screen even while logging is enabled.
            HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Another thing to periodically check is win7's Event Viewer to see if any services or programs are misbehaving.

As I recall, EasyTune6's default setup is to auto-start in the background with every reboot. I recommend that you disable this auto-start setting and manually start and exit the program instead of having ET6 always running in the background.

If worse comes to worse, you can easily underclock your memory to 1066MHz by changing only one bios setting to see if this helps to get your system stable.
            Last edited by profJim; 04-25-2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Actually just attach the dump file to a post as a zip and I'll try and analyze it for you. Also you don't need a full kernel dump. do a mini dump. Jeeze people...

Comment

profJim,

I downloaded Easy Tune 6 from your link, won't run after install. Downloaded from Gigabyte, won't run after install. Installed from the original utility disk, won't run. There are some posts on Windows 7 Forum that Easy Tune 6 does not work with Windows 7 SP1.

Last night while browsing "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working" displayed, I closed, BSOD! First one in 3 days. I am confused, same machine, why Windows 7 and not XP?

The MCH is supposed to be 1.2V +/-? The BIOS next to the selectable settings displays 1.1 (Auto). I went ahead and selected 1.2V. Without Easy Tune to see what the actual MCH Core V is; is there another utility available? HWiNFO64?

WTFMAN, thanks for the offer. After all the East Tune 6 installs/uninstalls, the BSOD, resetting defaults in IE and setting the MCH Core 1.2V I wanted to get back to a clean start. I did a Disk Cleanup and a System Restore. If I have another BSOD I will gladly attach the error files.

MDDI

Comment

profJim,

Easy Tune was working, first time it started in System Tray; didn't see it. After first start, now starts clicking the desktop shortcut.

If I read this right, the Target voltage is not actual but what is set in the BIOS? The Power on is the Default?

If you look at DRAM voltage, Power On is 1.5, Target is 1.68. 1.68 is what I set the BIOS but PC Health and CPUZ show 1.664 actual.

MCH Core Power On is 1.1 default, the 1.2 is what I set the BIOS. So, we don't really know what the MCH Core actual applied voltage is, correct?

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	754277

MDDI

Comment

profJim,

My system did crash again this AM. It's frustrating and very strange. It will boot to desktop and stay there, no BSOD. If I browse with IE it may or may not crash; if it does it will not again all day as long as I don't shut down for more than a few hours.

Obviously setting the MCH Core from 1.1V to 1.2V did not have a positive result. I do have a zip error dump file if you or any wish for me to send it?

I have attached some of the screen shots you requested. I noticed on the RAM SPD that they are different. The RAM in slots 1 & 3 (channel A) were kit together, RAM in slots 2 & 4 (channel B) kit together. They appear to be programmed different. Although the total frequency is the same, sticks 1 & 3 JEDEC 1 - 3, sticks 2 & 4 JEDEC 1 - 4. Issue???

I have not installed "Who Crashed" nor HWiNFO. Do you suggest one over the other or both?

Name:	Screen.jpg
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	754278

Thanks again for your help and support,

MDDI

Comment

The EasyTune6 Target settings show what settings you are currently running.

With 8GB of memory, MCH Core voltage might need to be 1.24 - 1.28 or possibly higher.
                      When MCH Core settings are too high or too low your system might not be stable or you might have boot loop problems.

WhoCrashed is useful for viewing BSOD details and you should save the data as an image before the mini-dump files are deleted.
                      In many cases the information provided by WhoCrashed is enough to help determine what caused the problem.
                      When you run WhoCrashed it will report the information for all mini-dump files that are still on your system but all of the information from several BSOD's will not be visible in one screen image.

Posting an Memset + SPD screen-shot provides more detailed information about the memory settings for both memory channels.

HWiNFO is similar to CPUID Hardware Monitor and I no longer use CPUID Hardware Monitor.
                      I recommend running HWinFO instead of CPUID Hardware Monitor.
                      There are several CPUID Hardware Monitor readings that don't look right:
                      • The +12 voltages are grossly inaccurate.
                      • The 9o - 11o (C) temperature differences between core 0 and core 1 indicate a possible problem.

I don't remember seeing any C2D core temperatures with such a large temperature difference.
                      I'm not concerned with the minimum core temp values as these can often differ by 5o (C) or somewhat more.
                      Your cpu cooler might be loose or making poor contact with your cpu.
                      If you remove the cpu cooler you will need to thoroughly clean off all of the thermal grease (aka TIM) and reapply new TIM.

Your Corsair HX 620 was an excellent power supply but old age might be causing a problem.
                      When did you buy your psu?

Please post a photo of the PC Health Status panel in your bios.

Comment

profJim,

The only reason I used HW Monitor is I could not understand the MemSet install; "You must use normal size 96ppp.To change; Office, Right Click, Property, Parameters, Advanced, General, Normal Size". Frankly that Japanese English did not translate to my understanding of English. That's why I used HW Monitor.

Yes, a few years back I noticed HW Monitor did not display the 12V+ properly. It did not and does not show Core #0 temp either; the temp in core #0 never fluctuates/changes when HW Monitor is running. I remember a few comments back then about that; can't remember if it was HW Monitor or a particular run of the E8400 CPU's? I searched today and did not find any additional info.

I checked the CPU cooler and it is not loose. The Thermalright base is not push pin, an effort to install/remove and currently is solid.

I did attempt to download HWiNFO V4.36 from their site; my AV went nuts. I did have to clean a PUP with Malwarebytes; seems many "freeware" utilities are bundled with "Open Candy". Looked on Major Geeks site and they had a HDiNFO V5.5; I do not think it's the same utility, the screen shot looked different. Do you know a known good site for HWiNFO download?

I purchased the PSU in 08/06. Yup it's elderly but does not run 24/7; maybe 8/5? I did check 3, 5 12 voltage with my multimeter, they are all + except the 5V which floats right at actual +/-.

I did install Who Crashed. I have copied the text report along with the PSC Health shot you requested. I did not clean the error dump files. I have to agree that my problem is RAM related but not necessarily defective RAM. I had a guy on the Windows 7 Forum tell me to run an extensive RAM test based on the dump files I sent him. I ran all four DIMM's overnight; with 8GB it finished 7 - 8 passes, no errors. Then I ran all DIMM's individually, several passes in slot #1, no errors. Then a known good DIMM in slot 2, 3, 4 several passes, no errors.

Name:	Crash Dump.jpg
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	754279

Again I thank you for all your help, I don't want to give-up on this yet,

MDDI

Comment

Originally posted by MDDI View Post
                          profJim,

My system did crash again this AM. It's frustrating and very strange. It will boot to desktop and stay there, no BSOD. If I browse with IE it may or may not crash; if it does it will not again all day as long as I don't shut down for more than a few hours.

Obviously setting the MCH Core from 1.1V to 1.2V did not have a positive result. I do have a zip error dump file if you or any wish for me to send it?

I have attached some of the screen shots you requested. I noticed on the RAM SPD that they are different. The RAM in slots 1 & 3 (channel A) were kit together, RAM in slots 2 & 4 (channel B) kit together. They appear to be programmed different. Although the total frequency is the same, sticks 1 & 3 JEDEC 1 - 3, sticks 2 & 4 JEDEC 1 - 4. Issue???

I have not installed "Who Crashed" nor HWiNFO. Do you suggest one over the other or both?

Thanks again for your help and support,

MDDI
                          Yes please attach zip file of the mini dump..(c:\windows\minidump\) Don't worry about installing all that personal preference crap such as, Who Crashed, HWiNFO, or MemSet crap. It won't help you resolve your problem.
                          But in the mean time lets do driver verifier... here's how from Windows 7 forums... Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums Good luck..... But methinks off hand either a memory problem or power supply... OH BTW if you can not attach a zip file for download in the post pm me for an email addy to send it to. Some forums are weird that way...
                          Last edited by WTFMAN; 04-28-2014, 11:01 PM.

Comment

MDDI, can you uninstall AVAST for me and see if you still get crashes?

Comment

WTFMAN,

Sure, easy to do, I can disable AVAST.

I will have to wait until the morning. My system will usually boot, go to desktop, will stay there without BSOD. First BSOD will occur after I open IE and mail, will not crash until after browsing for awhile. I get a notification that "IE has unexpectedly quit working", click close = BSOD. It will not typically crash again unless I shut the system down for several hours.

I have worked all day today without another crash; all seems normal.

I will disable AVAST tomorrow AM after startup and see what happens.

Thanks to all for helping!
                              Last edited by MDDI; 04-29-2014, 04:50 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X