Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 64bit Clean install will not see Hard Drive

Hi,
    I have just purchased components for 5 new PCs. This is what I have. ASRock FM2A55M-VG3+ Motherboards, 500gb Seagate hard discs and 3.9GHz AMD A6 CPUs.

I am having an issue on these machines where the Windows 7 install does not detect the hard discs. I tried a windows 8 install and that detects the drive OK. The Motherboard spec says it supports Windows 7 HP.

This must be a driver issue but I have tried all the Sata drivers I can find for Win7 64Bit that I can find on the driver CD with no luck.

I am considering returning these Motherboards and going for another manufacturer.

Any Ideas?

TIA

Re: Windows 7 64bit Clean install will not see Hard Drive

That's strange, so on the same board and HDD, the Win 7 installer cannot see the HDD, but Win 8 does, correct?

The HDD is recognized in the BIOS regardless of the Win installer? Did you configure anything in the SATA configuration options? What SATA mode are you using?

The Win 8 installer working while the Win 7 installer failing implies a driver compatibility problem. Win 8 has a different AHCI driver than Win 7 (apparently) but both are said to have the same compatibility. Unless you are using RAID mode, you should not need to install a SATA driver.

The AMD All-In-One driver package and the AMD SATA "floppy" RAID driver versions are identical for Win 7 and Win 8 according to the ASRock page for your board.

Your board has been available for nine months, and we aren't seeing any threads in this forum about this problem AFAIK.

Comment

Yes that's correct. I have assembled 3 of these machines and they are all the same. A windows 8 install sees the drive but windows 7 doesn't. I am using standard off the shelf Windows 7 SP1 OEM discs.

The BIOS can see the drive and optical fine

I have tried setting the Sata storage to AHCI mode and also IDE mode and that's still the same.

I would be starting to think it was a faulty board but I cant believe its 3 faulty boards. Its definitely a driver issue.

I have tried contacting ASRock support but they are very quiet or very slow in replying.

I am going to have to replace these boards with different ones I just don't like to be beaten.

Comment

A new day and starting a fresh.

I tried a Win 7 Pro install and that found the drive OK so I did the Win 7 Pro install until it found the drive. I then restarted with the Win 7 HP disk and went through the install. The driver was still loaded for the drive so I deleted the 2 partitions that Windows 7 Pro install had created and continued with the Windows 7 HP install.

Everything is now going fine.

Cheers, mcoops

Comment

Working...
        X