No announcement yet.

asrock z97 anniversary - trouble getting all sata devices connect at same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock z97 anniversary - trouble getting all sata devices connect at same time

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($210.75 @ Vuugo)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.21 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.95 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($98.99 @ Memory Express)
    Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.75 @ Vuugo)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Video Card: VisionTek Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($250.00)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.49 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power L8 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ Vuugo)
    Total: $1008.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-28 18:58 EDT-0400

=============================
    =============================

This was my first build and went fairly smoothly but I cannot get the SSD, the HDD, and the optical drive working at the same time. Whichever compontents are plugged into sata0, sata1 seem to get priority. Always 2 of the 3. All the components work and I have used them individually in the computer but I can't get them all going at once.

What am I doing wrong?? Thanks.
    Last edited by drg1; 07-28-2014, 06:18 PM.

Re: asrock z97 anniversary - trouble getting all sata devices connect at same time

Originally posted by drg1 View Post

This was my first build and went fairly smoothly but I cannot get the SSD, the HDD, and the optical drive working at the same time. Whichever compontents are plugged into sata0, sata1 seem to get priority. Always 2 of the 3. All the components work and I have used them individually in the computer but I can't get them all going at once.

What am I doing wrong?? Thanks.
    Not sure I understand your problem. You have a HDD, SSD, and optical drive, but you cannot have all three working at the same time, that I get, but I don't understand what you mean by SATA1 getting priority.

Do you mean in the boot order in the BIOS? Are all three drives displayed in the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS? How about the System Browser tool? Did you change anything in the BIOS, particularly in the Storage Configuration screen?

Did you try any of the other SATA ports, or different SATA data cables? What OS are you using?

Comment

Re: asrock z97 anniversary - trouble getting all sata devices connect at same time

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Not sure I understand your problem. You have a HDD, SSD, and optical drive, but you cannot have all three working at the same time, that I get, but I don't understand what you mean by SATA1 getting priority.

Do you mean in the boot order in the BIOS? Are all three drives displayed in the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS? How about the System Browser tool? Did you change anything in the BIOS, particularly in the Storage Configuration screen?

Did you try any of the other SATA ports, or different SATA data cables? What OS are you using?
      I cannot access all 3 drives when I have windows booted up. I have checked the device manager and it says the Optical drive is not connected and I can currently see the SSD and the HDD connected.

If I plugged the Optical drive and HDD in each others sockets then I would only be able to see the Optical drive and the SDD connected.

I do not believe that it matters which of the SATA sockets I plugged them into although I definitely haven't tested all of them. I'll check this out currently.

What I meant by priority is.... right now I have the SSD connected to SATA 0, and my HDD connected to SATA 1, and my Optical connected to SATA 3. I can only see my HDD and SSD in the device manager. I think because they are connected to lower number sockets but IDK.

I haven't even looked at the bios beyond the initial setup, I am just trying to get this working. I'll check out the storage configuration currently.

Thanks parsec!

Oh ya this is windows 8.1
      Last edited by drg1; 07-28-2014, 11:09 PM.

Comment

You know that at various times that all three of your drives are recognized and work, right? So it's not the drives themselves.

It sounds like you might have a bad cable, or possibly the SATA port is bad for some reason. If the SSD is the OS drive, leave it in SATA 0, and try moving the HDD and Optical drive to any other ports besides three, and use a different cable or two if you have them.

The number of the SATA port does not matter about being recognized, you should see all drives connected, even if you just used ports 3, 4, and 5.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          You know that at various times that all three of your drives are recognized and work, right? So it's not the drives themselves.

It sounds like you might have a bad cable, or possibly the SATA port is bad for some reason. If the SSD is the OS drive, leave it in SATA 0, and try moving the HDD and Optical drive to any other ports besides three, and use a different cable or two if you have them.

The number of the SATA port does not matter about being recognized, you should see all drives connected, even if you just used ports 3, 4, and 5.
          Alright so I did more testing... the bios it shows them all connected. But now in windows I still do not see my optical drive. It is strange how plugging them into different sockets changes which ones I can see. I always see my SSD presumably because it has the operating system on it.

So I see 2 possible causes... something during boot, or something windows is doing.
          Last edited by drg1; 07-28-2014, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I have same problem, do you resolve problem?
            I have Windows 7.
            Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by wanthom View Post
              I have same problem, do you resolve problem?
              I have Windows 7.
              Thank you
              Yes, the issue seemed to fix itself. I cannot say exactly what was causing it nor what fixed it. I was doing all the same things initially as I was when the issue was solved.

I was installing drivers, updating windows (8.1)... (my only guess to what possibly solved it, although I had tried that eariler as well)

Using all the same cables and components

Another thing I noticed with this issue was the drive that wouldn't work was being detected by the bios although not being named correctly.
              For example... my asus dvdrom drive... called "asusxasdfjij9034019" in the bios was just being called something generic like "sata3x93198". (I cannot remember exactly what the labels are/were).

This went away when the issue was fixed.

I wish I had a better answer.
              Last edited by drg1; 09-03-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X