Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature problems ASRock Vision 3D

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some problems with my AS Rock Vision 3D machine.
    In my opinion is gets way too hot, the CPU temp according to OC tuner is about 80 degrees (case also feels quite hot)
    The load is not very heavy, just Windows 7 ultimate and XBMC

Got some good tips from : http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...ery-hot-3.html but unfortunately not with good results.

Things i've done to improve temp
    - Raised the machine and inch from desk to improve airflow.
    - Installed all drivers via CD rom supplied with machine
    - Set fanspeed to full in BIOS

I'm no IT pro but it looks like AS rock machines are overclocked by default? (CPU ratio?)
    Is it possible to tune it down a bit? as I do not need a very fast machine just for XBMC and Win7

If yes, can you explain how to do this?

Thanks!

Re: Temperature problems ASRock Vision 3D

Is that 80c while at idle? I'll skip asking the is it clean and has good airflow q's, but can you verify the coolers fan is spinning?

What model of Vision 3D do you have?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The processors used in the Vision 3D series PCs are all Intel mobile/laptop processors, that cannot be over clocked at all. There is no automatic OC on those CPUs.

You may be able to "turn it down a bit" as you said, but I need to check the manual for the BIOS settings. I hope they have the CPU power saving options enabled by default, a must for mobile processors that are still using a laptop style CPU cooler in those PCs.

Yes, we need to know what model you have and if you've added any drives to it, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Berserker View Post

Things i've done to improve temp
        - Raised the machine and inch from desk to improve airflow.
        - Installed all drivers via CD rom supplied with machine
        - Set fanspeed to full in BIOS
        Hi, I have the same machine (it's about 2-3 years old) and has been fine for most of that time. But over the last several months have noticed it getting hotter and hotter. I can touch the casing still but only just as it's quite hot. I have tried ALL the things you have but to no avail.

So any help for this situation would be greatly appreciated. This is the machine and specs that I have: ASRock Vision 3D, 3D Your Vision

My model is the:
        Vision 3D 137B
        • Vision 3D 137B

Comment

Since your Vision 3D 137B is about 2-3 years old, it most likely has a lot of dust accumulation in its cooling system. Here is a picture of a Vision PC that is very similar if not identical to yours:

Click image for larger version

Name:	asrock vision 3d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	754711

We can see the cooling fan on the right hand side, the black circle is the center of the fan. The silver fins vertically arranged in a rectangle, above the eSATA and HDMI port, is the area that is probably full of dust, as well as the fan itself. Those fins are the main part dissipating heat from the CPU and graphics chip. It is normal for any PC with fans to have dust build up over time.

You'll need to open up the PC's case, and get a can of the compressed air/gas used to clean dust from computers. If you don't remove the cover and just try to blow air into the vent in that area on the PC case, the dust will not be removed and will just build up again quickly.

The cans of compressed gas have a long thin tube used to direct the gas to the appropriate area. You should try carefully inserting the tube into the opening where the fan is, which hopefully will force the dust through and out of the fins. You can also spray the gas directly into the fins too.

All PCs that use coolers like this need cleaning after being used for a year or more, yours is overdue for a good cleaning.
          Last edited by parsec; 11-12-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Thank you that is EXCELLENT advice and I long suspected it was dust. I should have mentioned in my original post that I have already cleaned out a lot of the dust on the fan itself. There was a fair bit which is no surprise as it's on most of time.

What I can not get to is the fins on the side (not without pulling apart the CPU cooling mechanism altogether which scares me. Unfortunately your attachment dead links so I can't see what it is you're talking about. But your suggestion of using compressed air - how exactly do I do that? I open it all up again and just fire the can at the fan blades or do I need to remove that as well?

Thanks again!

Comment

QUICK UPDATE:

I took parsec's excellent advice and though it's only been about an hour, I can report that (so far) it's made a world of difference. Even though I had cleaned the fan before, this time I managed to pull apart the mechanism around the fan so I could get to the cooling fins. I blasted it with the compressed air until I could see through the fins clearly. It was a bit of a hassle but seemingly worth it. When I first got the media centre, It was virtually silent ALL the the time but that changed slowly over time.

There is one other change I made in the BIOS which no doubt is helping. For unknown reason (I certainly never configured it that way), the CPU RATIO was set to the maximum of 18 which means the processor is consistently at 2.4ghz, even when idling. I changed setting to AUTO and now the CPU changes speed depending on load, dipping below 1Ghz and peaking at 2.4Ghz when needed. Best of all, the temperature which was consistently at 75-89 degrees celsius (usually the upper end of that range), is now (so far) always between 45-55 which sounds healthy.

Fingers crossed it stays that way and thanks again parsec for your help!

Comment

Great, glad that worked for you!

Not sure why the picture I had posted did not appear, it was not a link in the usual sense, but I added it again.

As I said, cleaning the CPU or system cooler is maintenance that needs to be done on any PC. After about three years you were certainly due for that!

You got a huge difference in temperature, looks like a perfect job to me. Cleaning your particular PC is a bit more challenging than ones with large cases. The temps you have now are normal for your PC.

Enabling the CPU power saving option as you did also is important for a PC of that type. I doubt the BIOS setting you found for the CPU was meant to be a default, who knows how it was changed. Keep an eye on that from time to time.

Comment

There's no doubt the cleaning helped but there really wasn't that much dirt in the fins. Enough to notice but nowhere near enough to cause any blockages. Heaps of hot air was blasting out the back before I did any cleaning. If it was purely the dirt, then the first clean of the fan should have fixed the problem because that's when I managed to remove the majority of the dust. It kept getting hot right after.

It's very clear that 90% of the problem was the BIOS CPU Ratio setting. I don't know how it changed because the only time I ever tinkered in the BIOS was when I first got the machine and optimised the start up a couple of years ago. Definitely didn't go back in since until yesterday and up until about the last 6-12 months, it was always running cool. I'm not even sure I've been in the CPU ratio setting before but it was definitely set to 18 - the maximum value. I'm not an overclocker either - well not on my media centre. Initially I lowered it to 15 and this cooled the CPU but it was still steadily getting hotter. Then I switched it to AUTO and everything was fixed. It's now super cool in a way it hasn't been at least most of this year.

So if anyone lands on this page having the same problem, definitely clean the cooling system out (it needs it after this length of time). But CHECK THE CPU RATIO in the BIOS is set to AUTO!

Comment

Working...
                  X