Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UEFI Firmware doesn't save settings

Hi there,
    I just installed UEFI Version 2.50 for my Z87M PRO4 board and turned some power saving features on, choose to save settings and exit UEFI.

Next time I entered UEFI, the old settings were still active. I changed this and that, played around with some settings and noticed, sometimes it doesn't save the settings I made, sometimes it does. Sometimes after exiting, the machine turns off and on again, sometimes not. So far so good.

Yesterday I experienced that my new settings were visually saved but the machine did not execute them which I noticed by the fan behaviour.
    Every time I noticed this abnormal behaviour, I loaded the default settings, made my changes, saved and exit BIOS.
    I did not see this behaviour in version 2.10, but I did not change a lot in that version.

Finally it seems that the machine is now working by the parameters I set in the Firmware, but I hasseled a lot with it to make it work.
    This is just to inform Asrock that something 'could' be wrong with the new version.

Cheers
    Hybrid

Re: UEFI Firmware doesn't save settings

Interesting, let's diagnose your issue a bit if possible. This is the first we've seen this reported in this forum AFAIK, but 2.50 was released not long ago, on 7/22. Plus things can be missed for a long time before being noticed, as we saw recently. Hopefully something is not wrong the the board, such as the CMOS chip itself, although that can be replaced pretty easily if necessary.

What method did you use to change to 2.50, Instant Flash, DOS, or Windows?

I know you don't or can't change all the options in the BIOS (example, you use RAID mode/RAID array so can't change to AHCI), but does it seem like the same options all the time that won't be saved, or just random? Are the options all related to the CPU or on one page or screen of the BIOS?

Changing certain options will cause the board to shut off and restart (BCLK Ratio for example), that is normal, but those options are rare. If the board shut off after changing a fan speed configuration, something is wrong.

A bad battery in the board can cause strange things to happen to the CMOS chip and BIOS options. Mother board batteries can be goofy, I have a four year old board with the original battery that works fine, and I've had to replace batteries in boards that were a month old. I can't say your battery is bad, just something to keep in mind.

A BIOS can reset some options if they cause the system to crash on start up, like setting the memory speed to high, timings to fast, etc, depending on the BIOS. Not saying that is your situation, since you would know you had a restart of the PC after changing options like this.

I've seen in my ASRock board's BIOS, that changing one option will automatically change others. For example, changing the CPU core multipliers to values in the mid 40's will cause the CPU Input Voltage to be set higher. The CPU fan speed profile may be changed to High Performance or Full On as well. It's may be possible that you choose a value for an option that causes others to change, and then change the first option back again, but the other(s) don't get reset as they should. Just reviewing some of the possibilities before we decide that the BIOS is not saving values, rather than it seems not to be saving them due to the behavior I described.

Have you ever used the BIOS profiles option, where you save all the settings in a profile that can be restored later? That should be in the Tools section. Saving your settings just before clicking Save and Exit would be a good way to confirm that the settings changed spontaneously. You just click Load for the profile, and check if the setting changed back to what you think it should be.

Any chance that you are using A-Tuning in Windows, and applying things like fan speed settings in it is changing the corresponding BIOS options?

Comment

Hi parsec,
      thanks for answering.

I used Instant flash. I thought that the unusual behaviour I experienced from UEFI was due to certain options I changed, causing other options to change as well.
      But seeing the options visually changed on the UI, but the machine didn't work by those rules, confused me.
      I had to uninstall A-Tuning because it causes high CPU load when the machine is locked. We had a thread here in forum about this. It seems the USB-lock tool is heavily listening on the logongui.exe whether a stick is plugged in.

I'm not into overclocking, so I didn't really change any options exept GT Voltage to Adaptive. Tried it in a game, did not have much effect, so I turned it into AUTO again, cause it sips mor power, even on the desktop . The power saving option in DRAM configuration gave me blank screens at the Win8.1 logon screen. So I turned it off again. So, everything on the OC screen is set to its default. The options that did not save were mostly on the CPU configuration panel. The C-States, which I enabled turned back to AUTO and the fan settings were the culprits. They gave me a hard time to make them work. I have set the case fan, which is a 1200 rpm Scythe Glidestream to 30 % on 40 C°, 40% on 50 C°, 50% on 55C° and 60% on 60C°, 80% on 70C°. It's the only fan in the case and keeps temperatures on cores below 50C° without problems. So it's running at 900 rpm while gaming with avg. temps around 45 C°. But the last time I had those problems, my custom settings showed up in UEFI but the fan was operating like it was set to silent mode. 500 rpm even during gaming. So, I got back to UEFI and saw that my custom settings were applied.
      I saved a profile and reapplied that after loading UEFI defaults. I turned off the machine cut off wallpower and waited for a minute. Got back to UEFI saw my settings and tried gaming again. Speedfan still reported 500 rpm and CPU tems around 50 C°. I had to do this 3 times until it finally worked. But everything seems to be good now and I'll leave it like it is. If something goes mad again, I'll post it in this thread.
      Can the OS be responsible for such UEFI behaviour? I had to rollback a backup a few days before...

Cheers Hybrid
      Last edited by Hybrid Vigor; 08-01-2014, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hybrid Vigor View Post
        Hi parsec,
        thanks for answering.

I used Instant flash. I thought that the unusual behaviour I experienced from UEFI was due to certain options I changed, causing other options to change as well.
        But seeing the options visually changed on the UI, but the machine didn't work by those rules, confused me.
        I had to uninstall A-Tuning because it causes high CPU load when the machine is locked. We had a thread here in forum about this. It seems the USB-lock tool is heavily listening on the logongui.exe whether a stick is plugged in.

I'm not into overclocking, so I didn't really change any options exept GT Voltage to Adaptive. Tried it in a game, did not have much effect, so I turned it into AUTO again, cause it sips mor power, even on the desktop . The power saving option in DRAM configuration gave me blank screens at the Win8.1 logon screen. So I turned it off again. So, everything on the OC screen is set to its default. The options that did not save were mostly on the CPU configuration panel. The C-States, which I enabled turned back to AUTO and the fan settings were the culprits. They gave me a hard time to make them work. I have set the case fan, which is a 1200 rpm Scythe Glidestream to 30 % on 40 C°, 40% on 50 C°, 50% on 55C° and 60% on 60C°, 80% on 70C°. It's the only fan in the case and keeps temperatures on cores below 50C° without problems. So it's running at 900 rpm while gaming with avg. temps around 45 C°. But the last time I had those problems, my custom settings showed up in UEFI but the fan was operating like it was set to silent mode. 500 rpm even during gaming. So, I got back to UEFI and saw that my custom settings were applied.
        I saved a profile and reapplied that after loading UEFI defaults. I turned off the machine cut off wallpower and waited for a minute. Got back to UEFI saw my settings and tried gaming again. Speedfan still reported 500 rpm and CPU tems around 50 C°. I had to do this 3 times until it finally worked. But everything seems to be good now and I'll leave it like it is. If something goes mad again, I'll post it in this thread.
        Can the OS be responsible for such UEFI behaviour? I had to rollback a backup a few days before...

Cheers Hybrid
        Not really the OS, but something possibly running in the OS, A-Tuning that is. If you had the Auto run at Startup box checked, and the Auto Apply box checked on the Fantastic Tuning screen, etc, that could explain the changes in the BIOS settings.

You mentioned a rollback to a backup, was that backup done before A-Tuning was removed?

Comment

Hi,

A-Tuning is uninstalled, and Speedfan only reports stuff, I never configured it to change anything with it. I can't imagine any software caused this, because it's always the same tools I use. Speedfan in the backround and CS-Source. Nothing else is running. If it was any hidden residing software, I possibly wouldn't be in the lucky position to tell you that it works now.

Greetings and have a great sunny weekend!

Comment

Working...
          X