Fatal1ty Z87 Killer won't boot with GPU in top slot ONLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal1ty Z87 Killer won't boot with GPU in top slot ONLY

When I install my GPU in the top-most PCI slot (closest to the processor - PCIE2), the computer will not boot, not even to BIOS. The fans turn on and that's it. If I move the GPU down to the next slot (PCIE5), the computer boots up and runs beautifully.

This is my RMA replacement board. My first board did the exact same thing, which is why I RMA'd it. Am I missing a setting in the BIOS or something? I would really like to be able to run my GPU in the top slot for better airflow.

GPU = PowerColor AMD Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB
    MOBO = Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
    Last edited by scottyr6s; 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM.

Re: Fatal1ty Z87 Killer won't boot with GPU in top slot ONLY

This may be a stupid question, but did you select PCI Express as the default GPU, in your BIOS?

Advanced>North Bridge Configuration>Primary Graphics Adapter>PCI Express

Comment

Originally posted by Tralfaz View Post
      This may be a stupid question, but did you select PCI Express as the default GPU, in your BIOS?

Advanced>North Bridge Configuration>Primary Graphics Adapter>PCI Express
      Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I did, unfortunately that did not fix it.

Comment

This is odd because the manual states that if running 1 video card, PCIE2 must be used, however I can only get 1 video card to work if I put it in PCIE5. I can't try PCIE7 because it's too close to the power supply, but these two slots are only to be used if running crossfire or sli.

It also shows that PCIE2 is x16, where PCIE5 is X8 or X4, depending on crossfire config. Does this mean I am losing single card performance as well?

Comment

According to the specs it say: PCIE2/PCIE5/PCIE7: single at x16

I'd not keep running your single card on lane 5, when lane 2 is the lane you should be using. You paid for lane 2, it should work.

Do you have another card you can try? I know it works, in other slots, but just exhausting the variables.

Comment

I'd not keep running your single card on lane 5, when lane 2 is the lane you should be using. You paid for lane 2, it should work.

Do you have another card you can try? I know it works, in other slots, but just exhausting the variables.
            I agree, I certainly did pay for a functioning board. I'm scared to go back to another RMA, since this is the 3rd board now (first returned because of this same issue, second arrived damaged, on third now).

I have another video card I can try this evening. I'll do so and report back.

Comment

Ok, so I have some information now.

I tried out my old AMD HD7850 in PCIE2, and it booted up! I then went into BIOS after reading some information about PCIE Link Speeds. In BIOS, all the PCIE slots are defaulted to "Auto". I change PCIE2 to GEN 1, put my r9 280x in lane 2, and BAM, booted no problem. I then tried again after changing the link speed to GEN 2, and again, right into windows no problem. I then changed it to GEN 3 (which is what my card is), and nothing; black screen and no boot. I then placed the card back in lane 5 after changing the link speed to GEN 3, and it booted up perfectly.

There is something wrong with lane 2 and GEN 3. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

For curiosity's sake, what CPU are you using? Scratch that... Haswell.
                Last edited by Tralfaz; 08-27-2014, 06:01 PM. Reason: Blonde moment

Comment

It could be a bug with the new BIOS. It's still relatively new.

Comment

Yes, i7 4770k

I just called tech support. He said it's not their board, it's my video card and it needs it's firmware updated. I've never updated video card firmware in my life. I don't feel like that's the solution here. It's a relatively new R9 280x. I don't get it.

Comment

I have been working with PowerColor tech support to see if the video card was the issue. After multiple tests and attempts to try different things, this is what the tech support concluded:

Polar Chien 簡國璽
                      6:53 AM (2 hours ago)

to me

Hi,

If you have checked the PCI-Express speed can’t set to “3” or “Auto” to boot up system with graphic card, please try contact the ASROCK about this compatible problem. I have try plug card in ASROCK Z87 Extreme4/TB4 MB and card can run PCI-E 3.0 speed.

Best Regards

Polar
                      So this means I am back at square one.

Comment

@scottyr6s

Do you have any friends with any Z87 motherboard brand or model that you could use to test your video card?

Another option would be to borrow a different R9 280X 3GB video card brand to test in your system.

I'm sending a PM to ASRock TSD - Emily to see if she can test with an identical or similar R9 280X 3GB video card in a Fatal1ty Z87 Killer motherboard.

These steps might help determine where the problem is.
                        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                          @scottyr6s

Do you have any friends with any Z87 motherboard brand or model that you could use to test your video card?

Another option would be to borrow a different R9 280X 3GB video card brand to test in your system.

I'm sending a PM to ASRock TSD - Emily to see if she can test with an identical or similar R9 280X 3GB video card in a Fatal1ty Z87 Killer motherboard.

These steps might help determine where the problem is.
                          I don't have any other z87 motherboards in my possession, however I RMA'd my first board because of this very issue, so I can say that 2 out of 2 boards that I have tried have the same problem. I was able to put my 280x into another PC (non z87), and it booted fine as gen 3.

Comment

Hi,
                            I’m Davis from ASRock HQ TSD.

Due to we have no totally the same device in our lab, we have tested this issue with similar device.
                            But, we cannot duplicate this symptom as below configuration(Please refer the snap shot as below).
                            Model: Z87 Killer
                            CPU: I7-4770K
                            BIOS version: P1.50(latest)
                            VGA card: ASUS RADEON R9-290 4GD5-4G/DDR5
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	vga.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	754618
                            However, we provide few ways for you to verify.
                            1. Please update BIOS to P1.50(latest) for try. ASRock > Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
                            2. If possible, please change another CPU or Z87 platform for try.

If the symptom still exist, please provide more detail of your configuration to us for verify.
                            And check whether your VGA card is AXR9 280X 3GBD5-T2DHE/OC. PowerColor Official Website - Graphics, Cases, Power Supply -- PowerColor TurboDuo R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC
                            If it does, we will try to borrow this VGA card from power color and do the test.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Davis View Post
                              Hi,
                              I’m Davis from ASRock HQ TSD.

Due to we have no totally the same device in our lab, we have tested this issue with similar device.
                              But, we cannot duplicate this symptom as below configuration(Please refer the snap shot as below).
                              Model: Z87 Killer
                              CPU: I7-4770K
                              BIOS version: P1.50(latest)
                              VGA card: ASUS RADEON R9-290 4GD5-4G/DDR5
                              [ATTACH]7220[/ATTACH]
                              However, we provide few ways for you to verify.
                              1. Please update BIOS to P1.50(latest) for try. ASRock > Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
                              2. If possible, please change another CPU or Z87 platform for try.

If the symptom still exist, please provide more detail of your configuration to us for verify.
                              And check whether your VGA card is AXR9 280X 3GBD5-T2DHE/OC. PowerColor Official Website - Graphics, Cases, Power Supply -- PowerColor TurboDuo R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC
                              If it does, we will try to borrow this VGA card from power color and do the test.
                              Thank you.

Thank you for your reply. My system configuration is in my profile, I will post below:

Motherboard Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
                              Motherboard BIOS version 1.5
                              Processor I7-4770K
                              Memory HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
                              Video Card #1 PowerColor AMD Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB
                              Hard Drive #1 PNY XLR8 SATA 240GB SSD
                              Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
                              Keyboard Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4
                              Power Supply RAIDMAX RX-735AP 735W
                              Operating System Windows 8.1 Pro

I have tried the video card in another system and it goes to 3.0.

"AXR9 280X 3GBD5-T2DHE/OC" is my video card. here is a screen shot from GPUZ, in case you need it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GPUZ with render.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	754619

Comment

Working...
                              X