A-Tuning (2.0.111.6) crashing system on launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-Tuning (2.0.111.6) crashing system on launch

It ran at first launch. I did an Auto Tune OC thing (cant remember the exact name since it wont launch) and it chose 4300 MHz. Cool. Then I did an auto fan test and it came up with a profile that kept things cool (<75c) under full load and quiet when not. But then at next system boot when launching A-Tuning it locked up the entire system. The system is otherwise stable.

I uninstalled the app then re-installed and it worked again, but only one time. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks

My system specs are can be seen in my profile but at a glance are...
    ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac, bios 1.30
    Intel Core i7-4790K
    Corsair (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 MHz (PC3 17000)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Service Pack 1

I run this system headless for 3D rendering. I access it via Chrome Desktop Remote.

Re: A-Tuning (2.0.111.6) crashing system on launch

Is there a way to launch A-Tuning with default settings? Maybe delete a preference or config file before launch? This may be all that is needed.

Comment

Last question first, it sounds like you have the "Auto apply when program starts" option checked in the Auto Tune screen. That will run the Auto Tune feature when you start A-Tuning. That could explain why it fails when you start A-Tuning the second time (more on that below.) Uncheck this option the first time you run A-Tuning, so it will not apply the Auto OC settings that seem to be the problem.

It sounds like you manually run A-Tuning in Windows, is that right? If you have the "Auto run at Windows Startup" checked in the A-Tuning Setting screen, it runs automatically when the PC boots, and then auto-applies the Auto OC settings, if you have that checked as described above.

It seems like the Auto Tune OC settings are failing when they are applied the second time, which I assume they are at this point. It sounds like you do too. Unchecking the Auto-run option(s) should stop that. As long as none of the Auto-run boxes are checked, nothing in A-Tuning is applied until you apply them manually. That could be considered the default settings, but it really is whatever the BIOS settings are, which may not be on default settings if they were changed.

If unchecking the Auto-run boxes works, then you need to check what the Auto OC settings are in the second run of A-Tuning. I don't know what your Auto OC screen looks like, but if it does not show the OC settings, they should be shown in the OC Tweaker screen, which you hopefully have.

At that point knowledge of OCing a CPU is needed. I don't know if you know about that or not, meaning if you can recognize settings that could cause problems.

Also, it's possible that there are bugs in the Auto OC feature and the OC Tweaker screen, or you could say in the version of A-Tuning for your board. I have seen them in the past with other ASRock boards and versions of ASRock utilities like A-Tuning and AXTU. Your knowledge of CPU OCing would help you recognize what is wrong.

Comment

re: locked up

Sounds like maybe some memory tweaking needs done. Voltages and or timings.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          Last question first, it sounds like you have the "Auto apply when program starts" option checked in the Auto Tune screen. That will run the Auto Tune feature when you start A-Tuning. That could explain why it fails when you start A-Tuning the second time (more on that below.) Uncheck this option the first time you run A-Tuning, so it will not apply the Auto OC settings that seem to be the problem.
          Yeah, this did the trick. Not sure why it failed the second time though. What I did instead was to set the Load Optimized CPU OC Setting to 4500 MHz in the BIOS. So far so good. Ran it under load (3D rendering) for a few hours no problem. Only thing is that temps will eventually peak around 84C. A bit high.

Thanks

Comment

Glad that worked for you, but not surprised.

The high CPU temp is just typical for a Haswell processor, they are the hottest running Intel desktop "mainstream" CPUs. You are doing well with that CPU temperature, given your case and CPU cooler. They aren't bad at all, it's just that Haswell processors create a lot of heat.

It's better to OC in the BIOS anyway. The only Windows program I would trust to OC with is Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility.

The problem you had using A-Tuning when it applied the OC settings on the second startup might be due to a bug in the program, IMO. I've seen bugs in A-Tuning versions used with the ASRock boards I have in the past. Anyone that understood CPU over-clocking and the related BIOS settings would notice the problem with the values displayed on the version of A-Tuning I'm talking about. I'd need to see them in your version of A-Tuning to be certain, but it seems like a similar issue.

Comment

Working...
            X