Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display turns off

Hey all,

Recently ive done a reformat of my PC ( hadn't done one in about 1.5 years) Anyway last night while i was playing Path of Exile about an hour into gaming my display just turned off (As if i had turned the monitor off onto standby) So i unplugged my monitor and plugged it back in thinking that might have solved the issue. This did not, i tried pressing the reset button my case which did nothing either (Tis connected correctly) I had to hard reset the PC, Now a few hours later i was playing Borderlands 2 with some college mates and about 3 hours in the same thing happened... Now ive spoken with some of my more computer savvy mates and they say its an issue with my motherboard. Can anyone else shed light on this situation?

Many thanks

Ben

Re: Display turns off

More detail about the problem is needed before any advice can be given.

Did the "hard reset" get the monitor working again? I assume it did.

When the monitor turned off, "As if i had turned the monitor off onto standby", that sounds like the power LED on the monitor was flashing on and off, or changed color to indicate it went into its low power sleep mode, is that right? That would also happen if you have the Windows Power Plan set to turn the monitor off after a certain period of time of inactivity on the PC, right? Or if you shutdown the PC and forgot to turn off the monitor.

If the above description fits your situation, then it seems as if there was no signal to the monitor during the gaming sessions. Just like all the other scenarios I mentioned, all of them are no signal to the monitor situations.

The "hard reset" you mentioned I'm guessing was a power cycle of the PC? Meaning you turned the PSU's switch off and on again, or held down the power button on the PC case until it shut off, and then started the PC again? It was after this that the monitor came back to life, correct?

If all of this is correct, then one or a combination of the things listed below could have happened:

The games locked up due to a driver issue.

The video card over-heated due to the stress of gaming and the heat created by the CPU, and crashed the system.

The CPU over-heated due to the stress of gaming and the heat created by the video card, and crashed the system.

The PSU over-heated due to the stress of gaming, and one of more voltages dropped below specification, crashing the system.

AMD FX processors are known to be power hungry, and many AMD boards that were thought to have strong enough voltage regulators (VRMs) for the CPU were found to be lacking in that area. Your CPU has this note associated with it in the CPU support list:

For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

Which really means the VRM heat sinks need air circulation to keep cool. Fortunately, your board has heat sinks on the VRMs, many don't.

What CPU cooler are you using, and how many case fans are you using in your PC case? Any idea what the CPU and GPU temps are while gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      More detail about the problem is needed before any advice can be given.

Did the "hard reset" get the monitor working again? I assume it did.

When the monitor turned off, "As if i had turned the monitor off onto standby", that sounds like the power LED on the monitor was flashing on and off, or changed color to indicate it went into its low power sleep mode, is that right? That would also happen if you have the Windows Power Plan set to turn the monitor off after a certain period of time of inactivity on the PC, right? Or if you shutdown the PC and forgot to turn off the monitor.

If the above description fits your situation, then it seems as if there was no signal to the monitor during the gaming sessions. Just like all the other scenarios I mentioned, all of them are no signal to the monitor situations.

The "hard reset" you mentioned I'm guessing was a power cycle of the PC? Meaning you turned the PSU's switch off and on again, or held down the power button on the PC case until it shut off, and then started the PC again? It was after this that the monitor came back to life, correct?

If all of this is correct, then one or a combination of the things listed below could have happened:

The games locked up due to a driver issue.

The video card over-heated due to the stress of gaming and the heat created by the CPU, and crashed the system.

The CPU over-heated due to the stress of gaming and the heat created by the video card, and crashed the system.

The PSU over-heated due to the stress of gaming, and one of more voltages dropped below specification, crashing the system.

AMD FX processors are known to be power hungry, and many AMD boards that were thought to have strong enough voltage regulators (VRMs) for the CPU were found to be lacking in that area. Your CPU has this note associated with it in the CPU support list:

For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

Which really means the VRM heat sinks need air circulation to keep cool. Fortunately, your board has heat sinks on the VRMs, many don't.

What CPU cooler are you using, and how many case fans are you using in your PC case? Any idea what the CPU and GPU temps are while gaming?
      Monitor LED flashes on and off. Once the PC has been turned on again monitor turns on like normal. Power plan is set to "Samsung High Performance". as per the CPU cooler i have the stock cooler installed (untill ive got enough cash for a h100i) the monitor display is set to turn off "never" I'm running the beta drivers of AMD's Catalyst (14.7) I've been told that it could be a matter of re-seating the card and checking the power cables.

When i turned it off ive held the power button on the top of my case. As per how many fans ive got installed i have 2 on the front of the case, one on the bottom and one at the rear. All are CoolerMaster Sickle flow (Paid about $12 AUD).

Hope this helps? :)

Comment

Well, it sounds like a system lock up or crash, but what causes that is impossible for me to know without more information.

The AMD Catalyst beta driver could be the cause, since it is a beta driver. The latest driver does not necessarily mean it is better. Try an earlier driver version, non-beta.

The stock AMD cooler is likely not enough to keep the CPU cool during long gaming sessions. Plus it is pushing a lot of heat into the case, with only one exhaust fan at the rear of the case. That hot air is then pulled into the video card which is not good for keeping it cool. Your CM Sickle Flow fans are good fans, but one exhaust may not be enough.

Your Shinobi case is good, you could add some fans at the top of the case as exhaust, or as intake, all you can do is experiment with that.

I suggest running a hardware monitoring program like HWiNFO while gaming to monitor your system temperatures. You can download it here:

HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Comment

Rolled back to the stable drivers of my display drivers... thought that it had fixed the problem. Nope, got 2 hours in and it did the same thing, so im coming the conclusion its either the board or my CPU

Comment

Working...
          X