ASRock X97 Extreme6 motherboard with latest FW as of yesterday
    Intel i5-4790K CPU
    Cooler Master 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM
    Antec Earthwatts 750 Bronze PSU
    MSI Radeon R9 280 graphics card
    2 256GB Corsair SSDs in RAID 1, connected to SATA 3_0_3
    Win 7 Enterprise

Everything works fine until I put the graphics card in (i.e. booting from integrated MB DVI port). When the MSI 280 is in, the system never completes boot (the on-board code is typically 62 (or is that b2?), and my monitor (connected by DVD) flashes the amber light (as if it's powered on, but not connected to a powered on system) and never shows green (as it does when it's connected to a working system). The above is true whether I've connected the monitor to the MSI Radeon, or to the on-board DVI port.

What I've done:
    1) Made sure that the Molex connector is connected to the motherboard
    2) Made sure that the PS's connectors for the graphics card are both connected.
    3) Tried using the alternate power connection from PS to graphics card (a second modular plug on the PS (designed, I suppose, for Crossfire))
    4) Tried unplugging all other connections (other than PCI/graphics card, CPU, RAM and power/reset/HDD light) from the motherboard -- all USB, disk, sound, etc.
    5) Put everything back together and substituted an old NVidia 790GS graphics card, with which the system booted fine.

I never seem to get any signal on the monitor with the MSI Radeon R9 280 installed. Is there something 'dumb' I'm overlooking, something not-dumb I haven't thought of, or does it sound like the graphics card is bad?

thanks,

thomas.

Re: Only onboard graphics -- my fault?

Originally posted by SelfGovern View Post
    I have a number of new components.
    Antec P280 case with stock fans
    ASRock X97 Extreme6 motherboard with latest FW as of yesterday
    Intel i5-4790K CPU
    Cooler Master 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM
    Antec Earthwatts 750 Bronze PSU
    MSI Radeon R9 280 graphics card
    2 256GB Corsair SSDs in RAID 1, connected to SATA 3_0_3
    Win 7 Enterprise

Everything works fine until I put the graphics card in (i.e. booting from integrated MB DVI port). When the MSI 280 is in, the system never completes boot (the on-board code is typically 62 (or is that b2?), and my monitor (connected by DVD) flashes the amber light (as if it's powered on, but not connected to a powered on system) and never shows green (as it does when it's connected to a working system). The above is true whether I've connected the monitor to the MSI Radeon, or to the on-board DVI port.

What I've done:
    1) Made sure that the Molex connector is connected to the motherboard
    2) Made sure that the PS's connectors for the graphics card are both connected.
    3) Tried using the alternate power connection from PS to graphics card (a second modular plug on the PS (designed, I suppose, for Crossfire))
    4) Tried unplugging all other connections (other than PCI/graphics card, CPU, RAM and power/reset/HDD light) from the motherboard -- all USB, disk, sound, etc.
    5) Put everything back together and substituted an old NVidia 790GS graphics card, with which the system booted fine.

I never seem to get any signal on the monitor with the MSI Radeon R9 280 installed. Is there something 'dumb' I'm overlooking, something not-dumb I haven't thought of, or does it sound like the graphics card is bad?

thanks,

thomas.
    Have you checked your BIOS for primary video settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Chipteck View Post
      Have you checked your BIOS for primary video settings?
      Yes, sorry.

Primary Graphics in the BIOS has been set to PCI Express.

Comment

Have you tested the R9 280 video card in pcie2 and pcie4 slots?

Have you carefully inspected the R9 280's electrical contacts to see if there are any defects?

Your power supply has 4 pci-e power cables, did you try using all combinations of the hard wired and modular power cables?

I assume that your other video card is a 7900 GS model that only requires one pci-e power cable.

Can you test your R9 280 video card in another system to make sure that it works?

Can you test with a different power supply?
        Your power supply is an older budget unit that came out in 2009.
        You would be better off with a high quality power supply such as a Seasonic S12G (or better) 650 - 750 watt model.Newegg frequently has excellent sale prices for high quality power supplies.

In a recent thread, the OP's video card problems were due to modular pci-e power cables that were not fully seated.
        Post code 62 is Installation of the PCH runtime services.
        Post code B2 is Legacy Option ROM initialization.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
          Have you tested the R9 280 video card in pcie2 and pcie4 slots?

Have you carefully inspected the R9 280's electrical contacts to see if there are any defects?

Your power supply has 4 pci-e power cables, did you try using all combinations of the hard wired and modular power cables?

I assume that your other video card is a 7900 GS model that only requires one pci-e power cable.

Can you test your R9 280 video card in another system to make sure that it works?

Can you test with a different power supply?
          I did try the card in the other PCI-E slots -- no difference.

The contacts look fine. I note that the back of the board is not all "clean and shiny" -- there are dull-looking parts where it looks like the board wasn't washed clean... but I don't know that this would cause a failure.

I have tried different combinations of the PCI-E power cables without any change.

Yes, the 7900GS uses only one PCI-E connector.

I will try testing the card in another system... with a different power supply -- but the PS is only 400 or 450 Watts, so I'm not sure it's going to meet the needs of the card.

Your power supply is an older budget unit that came out in 2009.
          You would be better off with a high quality power supply such as a Seasonic S12G (or better) 650 - 750 watt model.Newegg frequently has excellent sale prices for high quality power supplies.

In a recent thread, the OP's video card problems were due to modular pci-e power cables that were not fully seated.
          Post code 62 is Installation of the PCH runtime services.
          Post code B2 is Legacy Option ROM initialization.
          At this point, what do you think the odds are of it being a bum card vs. a not-good-enough power supply?
          This PS seems to have the necessary specs, and is from a reputable manufacturer... I'd hate to have to buy
          an un-needed PS.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Here's my thread for a similar issue:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...slot-only.html

Try going into BIOS when you're using the onboard video and changing all of the PCIE lanes to GEN 2 or GEN 1, rather than AUTO or GEN 3. If it works, then it's time for ASRock to acknowledge this issue, as I see a few other threads with very similar issues.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyr6s View Post
              Here's my thread for a similar issue:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...slot-only.html

Try going into BIOS when you're using the onboard video and changing all of the PCIE lanes to GEN 2 or GEN 1, rather than AUTO or GEN 3. If it works, then it's time for ASRock to acknowledge this issue, as I see a few other threads with very similar issues.
              Thanks for the pointer, but setting both PCI-E to Gen 1 or Gen 2 didn't change anything.

Comment

Hi.

I have this situation too on my z97x killer and h97 performance boards
                Only internal graphic on cpu works.
                When i plug my R9 270x amd card, same issue. Blank screen.
                Same problem with HD78x series back up card.

I find on some forum that amd cards is less compatible with asrock boards.
                But my previous board z77 works normally about 3 years.

Solution what i find and working on my boards is that you must update firmware on you r9 280x graphic card to new one on tech forum web page
                I use another motherboard msi and i update it there.
                After i run only internal cpu graphic, reset bios do default. and put my graphic card.
                It starts to working on first shoot.
                Some tech guy tell on forum that amd cards has some vbios parameters and this is why the pc doesn't start normally.

try it. and let us know please.

Paul.

Comment

Testing your video card's basic functionality in a system with a 450 watt will not be a problem as long as you can connect 2 pci-e psu cables to the card.
                  We don't know yet if your power supply is part of the problem.

Not too long ago there were quite a few ASRock threads where some newer video cards were not being recognized by the motherboard and in many cases a motherboard beta bios fixed the problem. I've sent a PM to ASRock TSD - Davis and ASRock TSD - Emily and asked them to look at this thread.
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Dear all,
                    I’m Davis from ASRock HQ TSD.

Debug code b2 means system couldn’t initialize the option ROM of your VGA card successfully, so there is no display output from the VGA card.

Due to we don’t have the same VGA card in our lab, we have tested this case as below configuration that we had.
                    And the ASUS RADEON R9-290 4GD5 works and run at PCIE3.0 x16 as spec(please refer below snap shot).

Model: Z97 Extreme6
                    BIOS: P1.30(latest)
                    VGA card: ASUS RADEON R9-290 4GD5
                    VGA driver: 14.4
                    VBIOS version: 015.039.000.006.003516(113-C6711100-002)
                    Memory: G-skill DDR3-1600 4G*2

If possible, please install MSI R9-280 to another platform to make sure the VGA card was fine.
                    And we searched some information on internet and found out that there are some users got similar symptom on MSI R9-280 VGA card with Z97 chipset motherboard as below links.
                    Link: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=181636.0
                    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?t...806#msg1304806

You can try to contact your VGA card vender for the further assistance.
                    Thank you.
                    ASRock-Davis
                    Attached Files

Comment

I've put the card in another system that may be underpowered on the 12V side, and could get it to boot into safe mode only (win 7 x64). Everything seemed to work OK there, but of course I couldn't do much (anything?) in the way of diagnostics on it in safe mode.

So I ordered an Antec HCG 750M power supply, should be here Wednesday, we'll see what happens.

I'm still concerned that the ASRock Extreme6 won't even get past the BIOS boot section with the card in the system. I'll be posting on the MSI graphics card site, too, as soon as I see what happens with the new PS.
                      Last edited by SelfGovern; 09-08-2014, 06:23 PM. Reason: Wednesday, not Monday!

Comment

IMO, it's not the PSU, it's the VBIOS of the MSI (ATI) card. It's quite a trend with the AMD/ATI based newer video cards, so many threads and posts about no video output from them in new and older systems. Started seeing them about X99 boards now too.

We simply do not see this with Nvidia based cards. I'm NOT implying or saying Nvidia is better or AMD/ATI is worse, just relating my observations. Also the post earlier in this thread about the VBIOS makes sense.

Comment

Was finally able to get the R9 280 in a breadboarded motherboard.
                          I was able to load WIndoes 7 Pro
                          I installed all the available updates (except for the languages).
                          I then loaded Catalyst. After the required reboot, I was unable to get a successful boot. The system shows and completes POST, then starts to load Windows. It gets to the stage where the four different-colored blobs dance around and finally form the Windows logo... and shortly after that, the screen goes black, and I can't get any response from the system.

Does this sound like a bad graphics card? Or am I missing something else?

Comment

Would you say at this point that the new PSU contributed to the video card finally working for you (at first), or something else?

So you had video output to the monitor from the MSI video card throughout the Windows installation, and the endless Windows 7 updates, prior to installing the Catalyst driver, correct? That must have been over a period of hours or days.

I assume you did not have the correct display resolution before installing the Catalyst driver, meaning everything in the display was larger than it would be once the display resolution was set correctly. Is that right?

I could not find what you use for a monitor in this thread, just wondering what it is.

Quite a coincidence that the video signal seems to fail right when Windows starts, after installing the Catalyst driver. Does that behavior occur repeatedly, meaning you can start from a cold boot multiple times, or a restart via the reset button, and you'll get video to the monitor as you described and then it fails?

If so, I would suggest changing to the onboard video, start the PC and remove the Catalyst driver. Then reboot the PC still using the onboard graphics. Then shutdown, change the video cable back to the video card and see what happens.

If you then get video from the MSI card, apparently the driver version you installed did not agree with the card. Or possibly an automatic or default setting for the resolution of the monitor was wrong for some reason, but that is rare with current drivers and cards. Which is why I'm curious about your monitor.

Comment

No; it's not the power supply. The behaviour of the graphics card (or lack of behaviour) is the same regardless of which of two Antec 750 Watt power supplies I use.

Yes, the card was fine in Windows, through the complete set of Windows updates (1GB or so in total downloads and a hundred or so individual updates), reboots, installing GPU-Z, downloading Catalyst. It was several hours. I was able to change the resolution to something appropriate to the monitor before installing Catalyst.

The behaviour is repeatable -- once I load Catalyst it always breaks after that first window screen. (loaded Windows twice from scratch) And once it fails, doing a complete power off doesn't change it, it still won't boot.

I've used both a HannsG 1024x768 and HP LP2025 monitor, with no difference in results. Tried it with a couple of different DVI cables (actually three different).

In any case, I ended up getting the go-ahead from MSI for an RMI, and will be sending the card back when I get a chance. I hope that it is indeed the card, and that Mr. Replacement will allow me to set him up without problems. I owe my thanks to those here who have tried to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X