• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock P55 Extreme Windows 7 Pro 64bit 16GB installed 8GB usable

MB: ASRock P55 Extreme ASRock > P55 Extreme
    bios: P2.70 (most recent)
    Processor: i7 875K
    RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws Z G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL - Newegg.com
    GPU: Windforce GTX 760 4GB
    SSD1: 120GB G.Skill Sniper
    SSD2: Samsung Pro 840 256GB (Steam install directory and video/photo editing working drive)
    HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black

All 4 sticks of ram appear in BIOS, CPU-Z, and Windows even recognizes them (16GB Installed, 8GB usable). I'm tried manually setting voltage to 1.65V on the RAM, decreasing speed to 1366 and 1033 instead of 1600. Need some more help. I've been scouring forums for about 18hrs over the past 3 days and haven't had any luck yet.

Thank you for your help!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SPD cpuz.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	756311

Re: ASRock P55 Extreme Windows 7 Pro 64bit 16GB installed 8GB usable

Please post a screenshot of the Memory tab in Resource Monitor.

Start > Run > resmon , and the click the Memory tab.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Hm. looks like there might be some good information here...like maybe I've got a setting wrong somewhere on the software side.Click image for larger version

Name:	resmon memory.png
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	754635

Comment

These are the settings I think you're going to ask me to check. These settings appear correct. Next I'm going to research "memory remapping" and "AGP video aperture settings" according to The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers . I'll report back after attempting these steps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	system config memory settings.png
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	754636

Comment

Ok. Update. It now reads all 16GB. I'm just so stubborn and didn't want to put a little elbow grease into this that instead I just wasted 18+hrs this week.

Lesson learned: No matter if Windows "sees" all 16GB, when I reseated the RAM [unplugged ALL 4 sticks, reinserted them in order (1-->3-->2-->4, from the DIMM closest to the CPU socket is #1)], the dumb thing works now. My guess is because the Memory Remap is now an automatic, behind-the-scenes thing, the reseating process initiated this remapping process. Confirm? Other explanations/hypothesis? Anyway, to any future poor soul who happens upon this thread in the future: Reseat your RAM AFTER the 1st time you install the RAM and boot your system.

1. Install new RAM!
          2. Boot up into Windows. If Computer>right click properties shows ##GB Installed (1/2##GB usable), then first thing to try:
          3. Reset CMOS. Reboot into Windows and check again.
          4. Power down. Reseat all RAM.
          5. Reboot into Windows and recheck...

worked for me anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X