Q1900-ITX BIOS Update Failed - Stuck in Reboot/Reset Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q1900-ITX BIOS Update Failed - Stuck in Reboot/Reset Loop

Recently bought a Q1900-ITX motherboard. Tested OK when installed with new psu and a couple of Samsung RAM sticks. Used Internet Flash feature to update BIOS from v1.20 to v1.30. Update message said restart to complete and i clicked on the OK button. It restarted but no display on monitor, and after 30 to 40 seconds it restarted again. Another 40 seconds later, it restarted again .... and it continues to repeat that! Don't want to power off because install guide says not to do that, but the darn thing is stuck in a loop. How do i overcome this, please?

Re: Q1900-ITX BIOS Update Failed - Stuck in Reboot/Reset Loop

Try pressing the Reset button on your PC's case, and once it begins to boot again, press Reset again.

This might sound like nothing, and these BIOS update boot loops I've seen lately with ASRock boards are scary, but I found a Reset cleared them up, at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Try pressing the Reset button on your PC's case, and once it begins to boot again, press Reset again.

This might sound like nothing, and these BIOS update boot loops I've seen lately with ASRock boards are scary, but I found a Reset cleared them up, at least for me.
      Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. After pressing the Reset button then pressing it again as soon as the computer began to restart did produce another restart but the previous behavior continued, i.e. it ran for 30 or 40 seconds with no display and continues to restart in a 40 second loop, no display.

ASRock BIOS update instructions said when you first restart after the BIOS update don't worry if it seems not to have worked because the computer will use Internet Flash to do the update again, but that's clearly not happening.

Any other suggestions to overcome this?

Comment

Update - i think it's fixed! ASRock tech support advised that i shutdown the power completely, remove 24-pin power plug, remove the cmos battery, move the cmos jumper to pins 2 - 3 for a few seconds, move jumper back to pins 1-2, restore cmos battery, and restore 24-pin power connector. When i powered on again the display was back and i pressed F2 to enter the BIOS, where it shows i now have the latest BIOS version. Hooray! Thanks again for your assistance here, too!

UPDATE 10-21-2014 - Since the successful BIOS update the reset/restart problem recurred. Again following ASRock tech support advice, i tested each stick of RAM memory separately and discovered the reset/restart problem stopped when one of the RAM sticks was removed. Ordered some new RAM.
        Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 10-22-2014, 10:31 AM. Reason: Problem update and resolution

Comment

Working...
        X