extreme6 m.2 ultra compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extreme6 m.2 ultra compatibility

In the official Ultra M.2 SSD Module Support List (ASRock website), the Samsung XP941 256GB is not listed. Is there any reason or any know incompatibility?
    Has anyone tested Ultra M.2 with Linux? Could there be any booting problems? Is performance the same?

Re: extreme6 m.2 ultra compatibility

Originally posted by serigado View Post
    In the official Ultra M.2 SSD Module Support List (ASRock website), the Samsung XP941 256GB is not listed. Is there any reason or any know incompatibility?
    Has anyone tested Ultra M.2 with Linux? Could there be any booting problems? Is performance the same?
    First, is the Samsung XP941 available in Germany or Europe? The XP941 is not generally sold at retail, and the very, very few places that it is sold at retail, the packaging is the plain brown box OEM packaging.

The XP941 has specific requirements that not all boards with M.2 slots can provide. It requires a UEFI compatible SATA Option ROM, that the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 has, but that must be selected in the UEFI/BIOS, and may require a UEFI booting Windows 8 installation, so that it will boot an OS. Otherwise it won't be able to boot an OS.

The SATA Option ROM I mentioned above is provided by Intel, and is meant to work with Intel's IRST driver. The chances of that Option ROM working with a Linux AHCI driver are... you tell me if you think it would work.

The Samsung XP941 SSD is not a plug and play drive, even on mother boards with M.2 slots. That is why it is not sold in general at retail. Samsung provides the XP941's requirements to laptop manufactures, which is the main place these SSDs are used.

ASRock's seems to have only tested the 512GB XP941 with this board. I know the other capacities will work with this board, given the reviews of the 128GB and 256GB models done by TweakTown. The reviews were done with Windows as the OS.

The XP941's use with Linux is unknown as far as I know. The SATA Option ROM requirement will be the main issue when attempting to use Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      First, is the Samsung XP941 available in Germany or Europe? The XP941 is not generally sold at retail, and the very, very few places that it is sold at retail, the packaging is the plain brown box OEM packaging.

The XP941 has specific requirements that not all boards with M.2 slots can provide. It requires a UEFI compatible SATA Option ROM, that the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 has, but that must be selected in the UEFI/BIOS, and may require a UEFI booting Windows 8 installation, so that it will boot an OS. Otherwise it won't be able to boot an OS.

The SATA Option ROM I mentioned above is provided by Intel, and is meant to work with Intel's IRST driver. The chances of that Option ROM working with a Linux AHCI driver are... you tell me if you think it would work.

The Samsung XP941 SSD is not a plug and play drive, even on mother boards with M.2 slots. That is why it is not sold in general at retail. Samsung provides the XP941's requirements to laptop manufactures, which is the main place these SSDs are used.

ASRock's seems to have only tested the 512GB XP941 with this board. I know the other capacities will work with this board, given the reviews of the 128GB and 256GB models done by TweakTown. The reviews were done with Windows as the OS.

The XP941's use with Linux is unknown as far as I know. The SATA Option ROM requirement will be the main issue when attempting to use Linux.
      Thanks for the quick and detailed answer. I can see the XP941 in amazon, both in Germany and the UK, even though it is not cheap.
      Found an Intel paper mentioning Linux support for RST:
      https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...01&ProdId=2101
      I will not the one to open this can of worms, specially when I am not much inside hardware/UEFI. I hope someone quite smart will eventually get everything working smoothly.
      Do you believe the XP941 would work as a non bootable device (in Linux)?

Comment

I don't know from any experience if the XP941 would work as a non bootable device in Linux.

My guess would be that it would, the only problem users have with it in the Windows environment is it was not bootable.

Comment

Working...
        X