Confused Over XFX Graphics Card Power Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused Over XFX Graphics Card Power Connections

I am looking at installing an ASRock X99 Extreme 6 M/B with an Intel i7-5820K CPU into a new build PC. I intend to use an XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X DD Edition graphics card. Please bear in mind that I am not familiar with building PC's. I am confused over the power connections required by the GPU and the sockets available on the selected M/B.

According to XFX the GPU requires an external 6 Pin connector AND an external 8 pin connector for power. The M/B specs show that it has 1 x 24 pin ATX Power Connector AND 1 x 8 pin 12V Power Connector (Hi-Density Power Connector).

Before I order these components, can somebody out there please explain to me,

1) If these two items are even compatible, and

2) How to connect the GPU card to the M/B.

Or would I simply connect the GPU directly to the power supply using, for example, a PCI-E 8 Pin connector and a PCI-E 6+2 Pin connector assuming that I select a power supply with those connections?

Many thanks in anticipation of any guidance that you can give
    Last edited by BryanB; 09-30-2014, 06:20 PM.

Re: Confused Over XFX Graphics Card Power Connections

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
    I am looking at installing an ASRock X99 Extreme 6 M/B with an Intel i7-5820K CPU into a new build PC. I intend to use an XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X DD Edition graphics card. Please bear in mind that I am not familiar with building PC's. I am confused over the power connections required by the GPU and the sockets available on the selected M/B.

According to XFX the GPU requires an external 6 Pin connector AND an external 8 pin connector for power. The M/B specs show that it has 1 x 24 pin ATX Power Connector AND 1 x 8 pin 12V Power Connector (Hi-Density Power Connector).

Before I order these components, can somebody out there please explain to me,

1) If these two items are even compatible, and

2) How to connect the GPU card to the M/B.

Or would I simply connect the GPU directly to the power supply using, for example, a PCI-E 8 Pin connector and a PCI-E 6+2 Pin connector assuming that I select a power supply with those connections?

Many thanks in anticipation of any guidance that you can give
    Your statement above in bold font is the correct answer.

The power supply you purchase must have at least the two PCIe power cables/connectors you mentioned above. This card is supplied with adapter cables for use with four pin molex connectors, but that is not the best way to supply power to a video card. The two PCIe power connections this card requires are common, industry standard connectors that will be included with any decent power supply of the appropriate power.

The XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X DD Edition graphics card uses the standard PCIe x16 slot interface to a mother board, which your new mother board has. Occasionally a video card might have a compatibility problem with a board which requires a BIOS update to fix, but that is unusual.

A PC's power supply is the foundation that the rest of the PC depends upon, do not skimp on it or consider it secondary. While we don't know the rest of the hardware in this PC, I would suggest you use at least a 650 Watt capacity power supply.

An X99 board system is fairly complex for a new PC builder, be careful, take your time and get help with anything you don't understand.

Comment

Re: Confused Over XFX Graphics Card Power Connections

Hi parsec,

Many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

The power supply I am thinking of using is this one from XFX,

XFX ProSeries 850W Black Edition Power Supply - 80PLUS Gold Certified | P1-850B-BEFX

It looks like it has ample connections and has sufficient power.

Again my thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X