No announcement yet.

CPU/System fan fail to run coming out of sleep.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU/System fan fail to run coming out of sleep.

Coming out of sleep my CPU and System Fan #3 will start spinning for a few seconds and then stop. restarting the system fixes it. Any ideas?
    Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H-CF
    Intel i5 4670K / 4.5GHz Core / 4.2GHz Uncore
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / 2400MHz / 11.11.11.27.1T
    2-Way SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB FTW
    Samsung 840 EVO
    Seasonic X-650 KM3
    Corsair 650D
    Windows 7 64

Re: CPU/System fan fail to run coming out of sleep.

What fans are you using? Three or four pin models?

What fan header is the CPU fan connected to?

What are you using for fan speed control? What settings are you using if you use fan speed control?

Comment

Re-flashed F10 bios and now both fans working fine...
      Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H-CF
      Samsung 840 EVO
      Seasonic X-650 KM3
      Corsair 650D
      Windows 7 64

Comment

Originally posted by Antares88 View Post
        Re-flashed F10 bios and now both fans working fine...
        went through similar problem, resetting to defaults would fix for a short while.

do you have siv installed? If so, make sure to run the calibrate fans thingie.

Comment

Originally posted by pwrUSR1900 View Post
          went through similar problem, resetting to defaults would fix for a short while.

do you have siv installed? If so, make sure to run the calibrate fans thingie.
          Yeah, they have stopped working again. I have no Gigabyte software installed but I'll give SIV a go and see what happens. If I boot the system up and put it to sleep I'll have fan issues when resuming. If I boot up and then restart and then put it to sleep all fans work fine when resuming from sleep..
          Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H-CF
          Samsung 840 EVO
          Seasonic X-650 KM3
          Corsair 650D
          Windows 7 64

Comment

Installed SIV and calibrated fans but still have issue.
            Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H-CF
            Samsung 840 EVO
            Seasonic X-650 KM3
            Corsair 650D
            Windows 7 64

Comment

Rule out a fan problem, have you tried plugging in another fan to that header? Give it a try and see if you can rule out a bad fan. Bad fan being kind of unlikely.

Next, I'd reset your BIOS to defaults, and run calibrate one more time in SIV.

Then set the profile to standard or quiet.

See if that helps.

Comment

Ok, I've nailed it down to fastboot as the cause. What now?
                Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H-CF
                Samsung 840 EVO
                Seasonic X-650 KM3
                Corsair 650D
                Windows 7 64

Comment

In reality, "fastboot", which I assume is the BIOS option, actually shortens POST by skipping some functions. I've noticed fans not being detected by monitoring programs when Fast Boot settings are used. You also are seeing fan operation side affects from Fast Boot settings.

The fix? Don't use "fastboot". I'm serious.

Comment

That's not a fix though, that's a work around. Gigabyte needs to get this sorted out.

I'm going to try disabling Ultra Fast Boot though, which sucks because the feature is really cool.

Anyone know the exact differences between the boot settings in the Gigabyte boards?
                    Last edited by pwrUSR1900; 10-06-2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                      In reality, "fastboot", which I assume is the BIOS option, actually shortens POST by skipping some functions. I've noticed fans not being detected by monitoring programs when Fast Boot settings are used. You also are seeing fan operation side affects from Fast Boot settings.

parsec, did you have the same problems described here, and resolved it by disabling fast or ultra fast boot?

Comment

parsec, did you have the same problems described here, and resolved it by disabling fast or ultra fast boot?
                        Alright, I've brought my system out of Windows 8 hybrid sleep now about 4-5 times and the fans are working properly each time after disabling fast boot.

I've got the water pump plugged into cpu_opt running full speed.

Still doesn't matter what settings I make in the BIOS for fan control though. But the system seems to be working properly now, finally.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post

I owe you big time man! I've already posted that this resolved the issue but I need to give you a proper thanks. My system is running like a freakin top now. I love it. Really happy with this board.

In reality, if you are using UEFI BIOS and you enable fast boot in Windows 8, "Ultra Fast" or "Fast" boot in the Gigabyte BIOS doesn't make a bit of difference. Even if it worked 100% I don't see a reason to enable it.

Comment

I owe you big time man! I've already posted that this resolved the issue but I need to give you a proper thanks. My system is running like a freakin top now. I love it. Really happy with this board.

In reality, if you are using UEFI BIOS and you enable fast boot in Windows 8, "Ultra Fast" or "Fast" boot in the Gigabyte BIOS doesn't make a bit of difference. Even if it worked 100% I don't see a reason to enable it.
                            Wow, thanks, almost forgot about this thread.

Sorry I never answered your question about disabling Fast Boot fixing an issue like this.

When I first began using the Ultra Fast setting (on an ASRock board) I noticed that a fan speed reading in HWiNFO would disappear. In my situation, I could swear the fan was still running, and I was just missing the sensor reading. I need to check that...

But yes, not using Ultra Fast consistently kept the fan speed reading displayed. Or really, using Ultra Fast causes the fan speed reading to be lost for some reason.

In your case with the Gigabyte board and the SIV software you are using (correct?), you have more problems. I was using just the UEFI/BIOS fan speed control, and not the board's additional software for fan speed control. Actually, the board's software for fan speed control was not set to auto-run when Windows (8) boots, and I think yours was, right? If so, that might explain your issue.

My theory, and it's just a theory, but follow me on this. Say you also had a fan sensor problem when using Fast Boot like I did, no RPM/speed reading from one or more of the fans, which I really assume is related to the board's sensor chip. The SIV software starts running when Windows boots and checks for fans by looking for non-zero fan speed readings. My theory would have no fan or pump speed data (so it is zero RPM) for one or more fans, and the SIV software decides no fan or pump on that header, and apparently turns it off.

The detailed analysis of mine may be wrong, but the end result (fan or pump not running) we know happens.

Since the Fast or Ultra Fast settings apparently cause certain things usually run during POST to be skipped, like the full initialization of the board's sensor chip, there may not be a simple fix for this problem. And yes, disabling Fast Boot is a work around.

Comment

Working...
                            X