No announcement yet.

Can you boot off the ultra M.2 socket on the Z97 Extreme6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you boot off the ultra M.2 socket on the Z97 Extreme6?

Hello,

I'm starting to shop for motherboards and I was wondering, can you put an OS on and boot from the Ultra M.2 socket on an Asrock Z97 Extreme6? I've been looking at Samsung's XP941 512 for a drive and I heard some boards have the M.2 socket, but you can't boot from them so I just wanted to make sure before I commit.

Thanks,

Spud

Re: Can you boot off the ultra M.2 socket on the Z97 Extreme6?

The Asrock Z97 Extreme6 is, or now was, one of the only boards that can use an XP941 SSD as an OS drive. There are reviews of the XP941 that use this board specifically for that reason, TweakTown has one of those reviews, which I suggest you read.

But, using this SSD as an OS drive won't necessarily be a plug and play installation, which is why this SSD is not normally sold at retail. You will likely need to do a UEFI booting Windows installation, or at least select the UEFI SATA option ROM in the CSM sub-options in the UEFI/BIOS. If you don't know what all that is, you have some work to do.

Comment

Re: Can you boot off the ultra M.2 socket on the Z97 Extreme6?

Hi parsec thanks for the reply,

I read the review after you said that, does a set up like this also require DDR4 then?

Comment

Working...
      X