bios versions out of sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bios versions out of sync

I am fitting a faster processor to my Gigabyte 970A-DS3 rev1 (Athlon 235e to FX4300). I used Q-Flash to update to F6, the bios reset itself to defaults and on next bootup, I set the parameters of my choice. The new FX did not work so I refitted the Athlon which did, and I ran "msinfo32" which showed F6. However, F9 in the main bios screen shows "Main : F6 / Backup : F1 ". How do I get both to F6?

Re: bios versions out of sync

Iv'e cracked it! Googing Gigabyte dual bios problems came up with "ALT+F12" during post to bring up a menu to sync the bios pair. This did not work so I Googled some more and found that a PS2 keyboard was more likely to work. I dumped my last one years ago. Looking through my pc junk box, I found a PS2-USB mouse adaptor but not a keyboard one. Tried it anyway and it worked. Both bios's were synced to F6. I put the FX 4300 back in and it was dead as before. Having nothing to lose, I shorted out the clear CMOS jumpers and when I switched on it worked!

Comment

A backup BIOS, when a board has two CMOS/BIOS chips, is normally meant as a safety feature to protect the board from a bad, new BIOS version. So the backup BIOS version is normally a version that is known to be good and stable. Which means it is not the same as the latest version.

But this feature can also be used to have a backup of a favorite BIOS version, which seems to be your choice.

Comment

If you check http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html first post:
        Backup BIOS reflash:
        ALT+F12 - AWARD BIOS
        ALT+F10 - UEFI BIOS

Comment

Working...
        X