Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock H87 Pro4 throttling when overclocking

Hi everyone, new member here!

So I was thinking has anyone been overclocking with the Asrock H87 Pro4? I found out that it seems to be throttling cpu speed quite easily, probably because VRM is overheating. I have a delidded and lapped i5-4690K and it seems to perform great (4,7GHz, 1.253v), but this motherboard really isn't giving me any possibility to really test this beast as on longer periods of stress testing, my PC starts first to throttle CPU speed and after a while, it just automatically shuts down my PC even when CPU temp is way below 85c.

New motherboard or any ideas how to prevent this?

Thanks!

Re: Asrock H87 Pro4 throttling when overclocking

Are you sure the thermal readings are correct? If so perhaps dig around in the BIOS to turn off throttling.

Comment

Originally posted by nickram View Post
      Are you sure the thermal readings are correct? If so perhaps dig around in the BIOS to turn off throttling.
      Yeah, I turned CPU throttling off but it didn't fix it. I didn't dare to turn off motherboards own overheating protection. I have checked temps with Realtemp, HWInfo and HWMonitor, same readings in all of those.

Comment

New MB. One suited to OC'ing.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yes, as wardog said, your board is not made for over clocking. You are no doubt using the non-Z OC UEFI version that allows over clocking on a non-over clocking chipset (H87), but there is more to it than that.

One clue is your board supports IntelĀ® Small Business Advantage 2.0, which tells us what it's intended use is.

Your board has a four phase CPU VRM power stage, while the best ASRock Z97 boards have a 12 phase VRM design, and better transistors are used.

You at least have a heat sink on the CPU VRMs, you could try mounting a fan to directly blow air over it, or improve the air flow through your PC case.

Does your board's UEFI have any Turbo power limit settings? If so, they may be set very low. You can try increasing the power limits, but do so at your own risk, it may fry the CPU VRM stage.

You could try installing the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, which allows over clocking to be done in Windows, and will display any power related throttling. But it most likely won't work on a non-Z chipset board.

The only true fix is a new, Z chipset board. But check the specification for the number of CPU VRM phases, anything less than 8 will not be an improvement.

Comment

Thank you for answers, decided to buy a proper overclocking motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by RFJUU View Post
              Thank you for answers, decided to buy a proper overclocking motherboard.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
              X