Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some questions about Z97 board

Hi,

I am newbie here, and I would like to know about asrock z97 extreme6 board.

Before I get this board, I have some questions.

1. Can I use 2 x pcie 3.0 x16 slots for different use ? one for graphic card, one for sata card .

2. Can I use pcie 2.0 x16 slot for non graphic card ?

3. esata port support which sata type ? sata 3 (6.0) or sata 2 (3.0) ?

Please reply for me
    Thanks in advance

Re: some questions about Z97 board

1) You can use any of the PCIe slots for anything that will physically fit in the slot. Some of the slots have better maximum performance than others, but none of them are dedicated to "only this" or "only that". That said -- this board has a Whole Bunch of SATA ports. Do you really intend to hook up that many drives or other SATA devices? Are you using it as a server of some sort? If so, you might find a better board than this for that function.

2) Yes.

3) It's not the most clear thing in theworld, but the manual says "The SATA3_A4 connector is shared with the eSATA port ", and since the internal ports are 6Gb, I assume the eSATA port is also 6GB/sec

Comment

Re: some questions about Z97 board

Originally posted by byungsoo View Post
      Hi,

I am newbie here, and I would like to know about asrock z97 extreme6 board.

Before I get this board, I have some questions.

1. Can I use 2 x pcie 3.0 x16 slots for different use ? one for graphic card, one for sata card .
      Yes you can, but there are only 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes provided by the CPU. One video card used in one slot x16 slot will operate at an x16 connection.

When you use two cards of any kind in two of the PCIe 3.0 slots, the slots will operate in x8 mode. Most SATA cards use less than 8 PCIe lanes (x8), but the video card will then operate at an x8 connection.

2. Can I use pcie 2.0 x16 slot for non graphic card ?
      Yes you can. Most non-graphics cards can only run at PCIe 2.0 speeds, so using them in a PCIe 3.0 slot makes no difference.

3. esata port support which sata type ? sata 3 (6.0) or sata 2 (3.0) ?

Please reply for me
      Thanks in advance
      The eSATA port is provided by one of the two ASMedia 1061 chipsets on this board. It is called a SATA III interface, but is not as fast as the Intel SATA III ports.

Comment

Working...
      X