No announcement yet.

Is my 4790k defective? Insanely hot temperatures at stock speed + Noctua cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my 4790k defective? Insanely hot temperatures at stock speed + Noctua cooler

Hey guys,

I just got a new 4790k and am getting some really awful temperatures at *stock* speeds.
    Using the latest Prime95 blend test, my temps will break 98C!!!
    I've remounted the HSF and reapplied the thermal paste multiple times and have installed these countless times in the past without issue so it's not a mounting problem.
    I'm using a Noctua D-14 HSF with my case fans loudly blowing a ton of air through the case...

Re: Is my 4790k defective? Insanely hot temperatures at stock speed + Noctua cooler

Originally posted by moomax View Post
    Hey guys,

I just got a new 4790k and am getting some really awful temperatures at *stock* speeds.
    I've remounted the HSF and reapplied the thermal paste multiple times and have installed these countless times in the past without issue so it's not a mounting problem.
    I'm using a Noctua D-14 HSF with my case fans loudly blowing a ton of air through the case...

You failed to include the motherboard model. It could be a faulty temp senser. Do you have another mb you can try the CPU in? If you are actually producing 98c temps (which I doubt), you could really feel the intense heat coming from the HSF. Speedfan shows the individual Intel core temps and this should give you a better idea of the CPU temps. Good luck!

Comment

Re: Is my 4790k defective? Insanely hot temperatures at stock speed + Noctua cooler

It's an Asus Maximus Hero VII Z97 motherboard.
      I actually already RMA'd my first motherboard after it had both bad USB ports and high temps. So the board it's in now is new and it still has the heat issue...

Comment

What are you using to check the CPU temperature?

DH-14 backplate: Rubber inlay removed, and notches in the backplate aligned correctly with the CPU socket backplate screws?

Are you monitoring the fan speed(s) on your DH-14? Are you using the ULNA with the fans?

What is the CPU voltage at when you run Prime95? What CPU voltage options are you using in the BIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by moomax View Post
          Hey guys,

Well I know it can be quite annoying trying to track down a hardware or heat issue like that.

First of all, I've had my i7 4790k for a year now, and it's been great. I have it on a MSI Gaming 7 Z97 mobo with a Corsair H80i CLC cooler. I used a very small dab (two grains of rice sized) of MX-4 TIM, and have never remounted. It's been running at 4.5GHz 24/7 ever since. No issues with heat. AT ALL. Real Temp shows idle of 23/24/26/23 right now. Ambient in my office is about 72F or 22C. 4 case fans using push/pull. Case is a Corsair Air 540 with lots of room.

What I can tell you is that a lot of people seem to complain about warm temps with Devil's Canyon but there is typically a user related issue. What about TIM? You say you re-applied. Is it possible you are using too much (common prob)? And what kind are you using? And what about your case air flow. Is it good, w/plenty of fans? And are you positive the D-14 is mounted properly? It needs to be down very snugly on the heat spreader. If its even a tiny bit loose, things will get hot quick. And use CoreTemp or Real Temp to check temps. Also double check your settings in the mobo's BIOS which may have something turned on that's causing issues. Check your voltage and see if its running high. Your board may also be using adaptive voltage or OC'ing your proc without you realizing it (auto or enhanced turbo comes to mind). Make sure any funky settings are disabled in the BIOS.

Secondly why are you running PRIME95? Is it only for stability testing? Guess how often I have ran PRIME to check? ...uhm Never. I have ran AIDA 64 Extreme, but it's not necessary you'll know if your system is stable or not soon enough - and PRIME95 is pretty harsh on DC procs IMO, and will make their temps soar. I use my rig for gaming and some video editing and encoding and have never seen temps over mid 60s C. AIDA 64 Extreme Stress test hits mid 60's (C). I played GTA V for about 3 hours today, and temps stayed in the high 40's low 50's (C). My system is very stable and I have no probs. I don't need to hammer my proc with PRIME to "test" it. Although I will tell you that I'm not trying for extreme overclocks. This thing is fast enough at 4.5GHz.

The 4790k is an awesome proc and it should be making you happy not frustrated. Although unlikely, yes it is possible you have a bad CPU. But I wouldn't go that route just yet.

Comment

Working...
          X