AsRock z97 Extreme 9 wont power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsRock z97 Extreme 9 wont power on

As the title says, I am having problems with my computer. Last night while playing a game the computer immediately shut down like it had lost power. This was the second time it had happened, the first time required disconnecting the power from the power supply waiting a few seconds, then by using the power button on the mobo (not the chassis power button) it turned back on.

Last nights situation was a little rougher, I removed everything from the mobo except the processor, reconnected everything, that did nothing. After resetting the cmos it finally turned back on. Currently the computer has been shut down for 2 hours, i have tried resetting the cmos again to no avail. The lights on the lan flash like the lan is connected, the usb ports have power, the light on my AIO water cooler has power, but the mobo will not power on. Any thoughts?

i7 4790k (no overclocking done)
    AsRock z97 Extreme 9 mobo
    Corsair 850 ax psu
    EVGA 780ti ACX
    Corsair 8x2 Dominator Platinum 2133

Thanks

Re: AsRock z97 Extreme 9 wont power on

Also, this is my second psu. I originally had a cooler master silent pro 1000, but at random times it would sound like it was a plane trying to take off. I was thinking that couldn't be good, so I returned it, and got a different psu. The corsair ax 850, it is a refurbished model... Could the first power supply have caused an issue, or was the motherboard having issues all along and the first psu was able to absorb it?

Comment

I just pressed the power button on the mobo, and presto! it turned on. I hadn't done anything to it, and the power was connected to it this whole time. Anyone have any ideas as to why it wouldn't power on, but now it will after doing nothing to it?

Comment

Carefully inspect the 8-pin EPS_12V psu cable to ensure that both ends of the cable are fully seated.
        Also look closely at the connectors to see if there are signs of damage.

The Corsair AX850 is a better power supply and hopefully there aren't any problems with it being refurbished.

Can you test your system with a 500 - 600 (or higher) watt power supply to see if it makes any difference?

If there is an electrical problem with your system, higher quality power supplies will not power up your system or the power supply's protection circuits should shut down the system. Make sure that none of your hardware is running hotter than normal.

I just saw your latest post and sounds like your power supply might be overheating and that it took a while for the psu to cool down before it could restart.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I was just gaming for 20ish minutes, and none of the temps got above 53 degrees (i know its not a long sample size, but i have to run so I will test for longer tomorrow when I'm home). I'm using HWMonitor to view all the temps.

If the power supply was overheating, why would the mobo still have power (usb ports were charging my phone, the watercooler had its light on, and the lan card was connected to the router)?

There are no signs of damage on the 8 pin cpu power cables, although they are 2 groups of 4 pins, not a single 8 pin. And I have both 8 pin cpu power connections attached. Do i need to have both 8 pin power connections attached if I am not overclocking?

Thanks for the reply ProfJim

Comment

You're welcome, glad to help out.

Using the two 4-pin (ATX_12V) connectors is fine and is identical to using a single 8-pin EPS12V connector.

It sounds like the power supply is able to provide low power to usb ports when the power supply can't or won't power the rest of your system.

See if your system will run normally with another, good quality power supply.
            If it's a lower power psu you might need avoid running with high electrical loads, especially if your cpu and video card are highly overclocked.

A low cost (~$15 - $20) psu tester won't help much as they only measure voltage, not how many watts your system can provide.
            You would need to use a Kill-A-Watt power meter or a higher end UPS unit to measure how much total electrical power your power supply is using.

I expect that your AX850 is cool running and that it should only be slightly warm when your system is running.
            Last edited by profJim; 10-25-2014, 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Regarding the power button on the board working instead of the power button on the PC case, that could be a problem somewhere in the case's power button to mother board header connection system. Such as, a bad connection at the mother board header, pinched wire from the case power switch, case power switch starting to fail, etc. Or it could have simply been a coincidence, if the case power switch now works consistently.

If the LAN LEDs were blinking and you had power to the USB ports, the board was receiving power and was on in the standard S5 power state, but the main 12V, etc. rails were not active, which is normal in the S5 state. The signal that causes the PSU to become fully active and then the PC to operate is sent to the PSU in only one way, whether by the PC case power switch, or the switch on the board.

What PC case are you using? I would check the entire power switch system in the case, and if the case has a power connector for its own use (most do) then check that connection. Using an electrically operated power switch in a PC is highly unnecessary, but anything is possible. Of course the most obvious point of failure is the connection to the board.

You certainly do not need to have both eight pin CPU power cables connected to the board if you are not over clocking. Frankly, you don't need both of those cables connected if you are over clocking. The vast majority of mother boards used to over clock have one eight pin CPU power connector.

For example, the new ASRock X99 Extreme 11 board has one eight pin CPU power connector. The X99 OC Formula has one eight pin and one four pin CPU power connectors. ASRock boards from their "Overclocking" series will normally have more than one eight pin CPU power connector. That type of board is capable of being used with extreme CPU cooling techniques (liquid nitrogen) for CPU benchmark records at abnormal CPU core voltages and power consumption.

The use of two eight pin CPU power connectors on that board is not obvious, but may be related to its 4-way SLI/Crossfire support. Given your current hardware and configuration, you don't need both of those cables connected.

Comment

Thanks for the responses parsec, and profjim. This morning it happened again, under the same exact circumstance. The game in question is Path of Exile (and it only happens when playing this game), when i use the skill Discharge, my frame rate spikes from ~140 to 1. I had been using this skill several times, but I like to use it right when a bunch of guys spawn, and when i pressed the button on the keyboard to activate Discharge it was like I pressed the switch on the power supply.

Someone on the PoE forums had stated that PoE does have a fair amount of cpu processing, and that the power boost from the intel chips sometimes has issues with PoE on newer intel chips.

Is it possible that the cpu load spikes up to the point the power boost kicks in, and that extra instantaneous load on the psu is causing the power rails in the psu to trip (like a surge protection)?

I am going to unplug one of the 4 pins going to the cpu, and I would also like to disable the power boost feature but I'm not sure where the setting is for that, can anyone help with that?

Also about the power button, I will always press the case power button first, before the mobo power button, I haven't been doing that in the past (only when the computer is in its current state, otherwise the power button works normally), so its quite possible that the case power button is just fine, I was just impatient and thought that button was different for some reason.

Going from past experience I won't be able to turn the computer on for a few hours, and being that it is sunday I'm going to watch some football, so I won't be back until later in the day, but any help is very much appreciated.

Comment

Okay So I removed one of the 8 pin cpu power connections. In the UFEI I disabled turbo boost, and in windows I changed min power state to 25% and max power state to 90%. I gamed for a while no problems (i also turned v-sync off in the game). The cpu's frequency never went above 3.5 ghz. I exited the game, changed the max power state back to 100% started the game back up, the first time I used Discharge (about 20 - 30 sec into playing) the computer powered off immediately.

Any ideas?
                  Last edited by MlogStryker; 10-26-2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Is this a new(er) build? Or one that's been running a-ok for some time now?
                    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I built it about a month and a half ago. But everything seems to be okay except for this issue (oh and the first psu sounding like a jet engine at random times).

When I can get it up and running again I'm going to run some stress tests, a gpu one a cpu one and a ram one and try to see if that high highlights any issues. I think i will also set the processor max frequency to 90% for those tests, then change it to 100% and run them again.

Any thoughts on which software to use for the tests?

Comment

I am a little uncomfortable letting stress tests run for extended periods, so this is what I did. I downloaded PassMark, and isolated the cpu, gpu, and ram. I ran each test for around 8 minutes (the free trial max time is 15 minutes anyway) with the max power state at 95% and the load for each test at 50%. I had zero errors, so I ran all the tests at 100% load for the same amount of time. Again zero errors, the gpu temp evened out at 66 degrees. The cpu never got above 50 degrees, and the ram had zero errors, but I have no temp readings for the ram. I then increased the max power state in windows to 100%, ran the cpu test again, and again had zero errors, and the temps never got above 52 degrees.

I fully understand that those temps will even out a little hotter as the test is allowed to run for hours, but that just seems to stressful (for me, and the pc).

So i'm really puzzeled at what the problem could be in regards to why that game is causing my system to power off.

Also I tried unplugging and plugging things back in trying to turn the system on after each one. When I unplugged the 20pin atx cable from the psu and plugged it back into the psu that is what allowed me to power on the computer. When I unplugged the 20pin atx cable from the mobo and plugged it back in it had no effect and would not turn on.

Can the software be causing a fault somewhere that is causing my computer to power off?

Comment

There is BIOS 1.14 that indicates "Improve DRAM performance".

The G710 keyboard and "Discharge' game key combo/macro(?) that guarantees it shutting down upon pressing, are you using the latest Logitech software for the keyboard? Can this key press to "Discharge' be duplicated with a bone stock preferably PS/2 otherwise USB keyboard?
                          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Dang.

Also, that G710(+.. ?) keyboard. Best I can discover is it has two USB plugs. Assuming yours has two, are both plugged in?

Not sure here if it draws power from both maybe, or I'm reading right and that the other soley is for the KB's USB port and would be "data' only or if in fact both needed for power for lighting and whatever else.

Comment

Yes both keyboard usb ports are plugged in. The skill is mapped to the "q" key, and it is not a macro. I have been playing at max processor state 95% for a while without a loss of power. There has still been some spikes in frames per second when the skill is used, but not all the way down to 1. My frames per second fluctuate between 330 ish when not much is going on to 120 ish when lots of things are going on. When I use discharge for the first time it always spikes down to 20, but after the first time it seems to not spike nearly as much. Is that because the game is accessing something not in ram, the animation perhaps? Im not sure how to make a ram disk or if my 16gb of ram would give me enough to put the game on a ram disk but could that smooth that spike out even more?

I have not tried a different keyboard to see if the problem would still present itself, but I don't think the keyboard is where the problem is stemming from.

Also there way a mini update to the game so its possible they fixed something, but I highly doubt that whatever they updated would have been related to my problem, but i guess you never know.

Comment

Working...
                              X