No announcement yet.

Fatal1ty Z87 Professional update bios for DC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal1ty Z87 Professional update bios for DC?

I have a Fatal1ty Z87 Professional board and an G3258 devils canyon cpu that i just bought.
    MB have bios verision P1.00.15B.

I know that devils canyon did not get support untill bios P1.70 but i have seen that some have managed too update from an erlier bios (not as old as whats on mine tough) so my question is can i do it too?

I can NOT try it since my cpu came with two capacitors missing but have been clearly have been there and when i install and boot up i only get 00 as debug code on the display which is cpu related.
    It would be good too new if it will work when i get a working cpu otherwise i have too send in the board for bios update and (which the store does for free) and it will go faster if i can send the board at the same time as the cpu.
    And NO i do not have any other 1150 cpu's laying around 1155 i have 3 laying around though.

Got an answer from the store now and i can scrap the cpu and they already sent a new one so hope it will work update the bios.
    Last edited by grizzly; 11-21-2014, 09:42 AM.

Re: Fatal1ty Z87 Professional update bios for DC?

The best I can tell you is this: I have an ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 board that I now use with a G3258.

When I installed the G3258 in that board, it had UEFI/BIOS version 2.30, while support for the DC processors was added in BIOS 2.20. 2.20 would be equal to your board's 1.70.

My board was able to POST and boot fine with the G3258, after clearing the CMOS/BIOS once I installed it. Don't forget to do that when you install yours, IF you had another processor installed before it, which does not seem to be the case.

I was unable to OC the G3258 with the 2.20/2.30 BIOS, but the processor worked fine otherwise. You'll need the BIOS version that fully supports the G3258 in order to OC.

I have a feeling a G3258 will at least function basically even with your very early BIOS version. I cannot say it definitely will, so hopefully someone else can confirm that for you.

Otherwise I think you will like the G3258. It should surprise you about how well it works given only two cores and two threads. You will be able to at least OC it to 4.0GHz easily without excessive voltage. Once above about 4.0GHz, the VCore needed increases sharply, but that also depends on the individual processor.

I have two G3258s now, and they are quite different in their needs for VCore at stock speed. The second one needs less voltage than the first for the same clock speed, I hope you get a great one.

Comment

I got the replacment cpu today!
      And the moderboard do not boot up only display 00 as debug code and reset cmos (many times) change nothing.
      So i guess that this old bios of mine does NOT recognise the devils canyon cpu´s at all.
      Also tried three different memory two 1600mhz 1,5v and one 1333mhz 1,5v and it is three different makers corsair,gskill,kingston so i´m pretty sure that memory is not my problem.

And NO there is no bent pins in the cpu socket.

Comment

Since i´m building another cheap ass computer to christmas i bought an G3220 and got that yesterday.
        Installed that and the moderboard booted right up and workd updated the old bios too the latest (went fine) booted into windows pe from a usb and benchmarked (just too be sure the MB is fine) a bit worked fine.

Installed the "new" G3258 again got an 00 debug code resetted the cmos 00 again took out the cmos battery and went too bed, woke up reseted bios for around a minute (too be really really sure) installed the cmos battery and 00 again ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGH!
        Installed the G3220 again which booted up fine and again i checked all socket pins and all is fine also tried my three memory sticks when the G3258 was in there.
        So i guess i got an G3258 with two missing capacitors and probably was dead, then i got an G3258 which is dead!
        Or is it something else on this damn moderboard that does it?

So parsec NO i´m not liking the G3258 right now

Comment

That makes no sense, your replacement G3258 does not work?! Crazy...

You did flash to BIOS 1.90 with the other CPU, right?

Who are you dealing with that first sends you a CPU with missing capacitors, and when it is replaced, the new CPU does not work either? Something is wrong with that.

The box the CPU is in should be sealed at the top and bottom, the side that you normally open should have clear plastic circles over the cover and side of the box. If it didn't, it was opened.

If they are sending you the CPU in the clear plastic case a bit bigger than the CPU, then who knows where it came from.

A G3258 should work fine in your board, I would really consider another source for your PC parts. Is that a private person or a retailer?

Comment

All three (2xG3258,1xG3220) cpu´s is from webhallen one of the three biggest electronics webstores in sweden.
            The first G3258 i found in the bargain bin section of the web store the description said they classed it as class 1 which means "complete with all accesories, no traces of use but plastic/seal could be broken".
            And since i was going to buy the G3220 from the start and only went in the bargainbin and looked if they had something cheap worth buying since i alreday ordered and found the G3258 there for around 5$ less then the G3220.
            I thought why not, if it was returned for not clocking good or something like that it wil still be faster then the G3220 for a cheaper price.

Then a couple off hours later i thought about a tread on swecklockers board about an G3258 with two missing caps and went too check and yes it was from webhallen that cpu was bought.
            Hope i don´t get that chip i thought but quickly but that aside since the first owner had made that tread and had told webhallen about the missing caps they would NOT sell it.
            But i was wrong i checked with loupe and the pictures and it was the same cpu since every tiny scratch/mark was identical on the two.

So i told Webhallen about the tread and that it was missing two caps i had an answer 10min after my email that i could do what i want with the cpu and they send a new one and got a tracking number for that after 30min.
            Then the post took 3 days longer then usual to deliver it and that was the only package in 2-3 years that i neede in a hurry and naturally they screw ONLY that up.
            When i got the new G3258 cpu it was sealed and everything so that had never been opened.

I have now tried too downgrade bios too 1,70 the first with DC support and got 00 with the g3258 worked ok with g3220 and upgraded too 1,90 again and 00 with g3258 again and reset cmos change nothing.
            Finished installing linux/setting everything up and have benchmarked the g3220 cpu for about an hour now and it works ok.
            So the G3220 stays and the G3258 goes back i don´t have more time too waste on this i need this **** up and running a week ago and i do not need cpu power in this machine anyway but it would have been nice too have a bit faster cpu (if ever needed)for less price.

If the "new" G3258 is dead or not i have no ide since i only have this 1150 board but since the board and bios rev does support it it probably is dead.

Comment

Working...
            X