Asrock X99 Extreme4 - SLI Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock X99 Extreme4 - SLI Question

I am adding another card to my system and wondered what 2 slots I should use for the 2 cards? They are both Gigabyte GTX 970's. The board is an Asrock X99 Extreme 4.

Also, are there any tips or tricks for running SLI? I've never done it.

TIA - Mudbone

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme4/

Last edited by Mudbone; 11-22-2014, 02:49 PM.

Re: Asrock X99 Extreme4 - SLI Question

You should, or probably must, use PCIe lanes 1 and 3 for your two video cards.

Both PCIe lanes 1 and 3 operate at PCIe 3.0 speed, while PCIe lane 2 runs at PCIe 2.0 speed.

The PCIe 3.0 support is provided by your CPU, while the PCIe 2.0 support is provided by the X99 chipset. Trying to do SLI with a card on two different PCIe connections will probably be a problem, so don't do it.

Your CPU (unknown) will determine if PCIe lane 1 and 3 both run in x16 mode. If you have an i7-5820K, that has 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes, two cards is SLI will run at x16 and x8. If you have either of the two other Haswell-E processors, both cards will run at x16.

Check your board's manual about setting up SLI, it should have a good description about that.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and information. I have a i7 5820K.
      Last edited by Mudbone; 11-25-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Well, I got lucky. Second card in and SLI is working nicely, with Far Cry 4 nearly doubled in frame rate. I had to set the SLI bits to Batman: Arkham Origins, per others recommendations, to stop the shadowing, artifacts and getting darker over time issues.

I say lucky because I didn't know there were as many details as there are to going SLI and it turns out I got a decent motherboard, CPU and power supply for doing 2 cards at least, and the SLI bridge came with the motherboard, as well as the power cable I needed.

2 Gigabyte GTX 970's installed
        Asrock X99 Extreme4 MB
        i7 5820K

Comment

Working...
        X