Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD hard drive not detected in Z87 Extreme6 UEFI BIOS

Hello,

I have a Western Digital Hard Drive WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0 of 4To connected on my ASROCK Z87 Extreme6 board

Drive is not detected in the UEFI BIOS, but is useable in my linux system, but sometime on boot linux does not find the drive.

Fast boot is disabled, but I suspect the hard drive takes too long to initialize.

Any tip to resolve this situation?

Re: WD hard drive not detected in Z87 Extreme6 UEFI BIOS

Do you have that drive connected to an Intel or ASMedia SATA port?

If you have it connected to the ASMedia SATA port, change it to an Intel port, which might help.

A quick search found comments about this drive taking longer than usual to start. It also has a strange default firmware setting where the drive will apparently park its heads after 8 seconds of inactivity. A firmware update exists to change that, but I did not look for it. It is called wdidle3.exe, and can be found on WD's website.

If you have SATA Aggressive Link Power Management enabled in the BIOS, disable it.

The BIOS of some older mother boards I've seen had an option that would cause a delay during POST to allow HDDs to get started, but I haven't seen that option in any BIOS for a while now.

You could try to do the same thing by using the Setup Prompt Timeout option in the Boot Screen. Set that option to a longer time period. You can also enable Full Screen Logo and AddOn ROM display to slow down the POST process, since initializing the drives is usually the last thing done in POST.

Comment

Working...
    X