No announcement yet.

ASRock x99x killer is dead. Factory reset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock x99x killer is dead. Factory reset?

My new x99x killer seems to be dead and any help is welcome. I have split it into Long and short version as I think only the short version is the actual culprit.
    Here is what I did:
    LONG
    in BIOS (I cannot see the version of BIOS anymore but it is the latest version from last week 16 november 2014)
    • used an overlocking predefined settings
    • changed boot to fast (so I have to get into Windows and use the utility program to enter BIOS again)
    • after saving these setting and a reboot did nothing but after the initial menu (that shows press F2 or Del to enter...) it show a white cursor in the middle of the screen
    • after couple of times I cannot enter BIOS anymore and thus I had it enter Windows to be able to enter BIOS and change values.
    • Switched the boot from BIOS B on the motherboard

in WINDOWS used the utility to enter BIOS again. Continuing with the short version now:
    SHORT
    in BIOS
    • used Secure Backup UEFI
    • after system rebooted from its own a window appeared that said it was doing the secure backup and mentioning do not power down system.
    • Power off because: a progress bar showed 0% for a couple of minutes 5 minutes so the system was not doing anything so I had to reset. Before pressing the reset I remember that there was a number displaying next to it for the Dr. Debug but cannot remember the exact number. The number probably was a hint to the reason why the progress bar was not moving

Now nothing is being done anymore and I cannot even get into BIOS. There is just nothing displayed and a black screen is shown. All the lights (logo light of cooler, logo light of graphics card are on and the fans are working. Please help as the board seems dead. I tried booting from BIOS A, BIOS B, reset the CMOS switch but nothing...

What must I do now? Is there a way to reset to factory defaults on this board?

Greetings,
    Timothy
    Last edited by timothyBrake; 11-23-2014, 01:37 PM.

Re: ASRock x99x killer is dead. Factory reset?

Originally posted by timothyBrake View Post
    My new x99x killer seems to be dead and any help is welcome. I have split it into Long and short version as I think only the short version is the actual culprit.
    Here is what I did:
    LONG
    in BIOS (I cannot see the version of BIOS anymore but it is the latest version from last week 16 november 2014)
    • used an overlocking predefined settings
    • changed boot to fast (so I have to get into Windows and use the utility program to enter BIOS again)
    • after saving these setting and a reboot did nothing but after the initial menu (that shows press F2 or Del to enter...) it show a white cursor in the middle of the screen
    • after couple of times I cannot enter BIOS anymore and thus I had it enter Windows to be able to enter BIOS and change values.
    • Switched the boot from BIOS B on the motherboard

in WINDOWS used the utility to enter BIOS again. Continuing with the short version now:
    SHORT
    in BIOS
    • used Secure Backup UEFI
    • after system rebooted from its own a window appeared that said it was doing the secure backup and mentioning do not power down system.
    • Power off because: a progress bar showed 0% for a couple of minutes 5 minutes so the system was not doing anything so I had to reset. Before pressing the reset I remember that there was a number displaying next to it for the Dr. Debug but cannot remember the exact number. The number probably was a hint to the reason why the progress bar was not moving

Now nothing is being done anymore and I cannot even get into BIOS. There is just nothing displayed and a black screen is shown. All the lights (logo light of cooler, logo light of graphics card are on and the fans are working. Please help as the board seems dead. I tried booting from BIOS A, BIOS B, reset the CMOS switch but nothing...

What must I do now? Is there a way to reset to factory defaults on this board?

Greetings,
    Timothy
    Your board has two 128Mb CMOS UEFI/BIOS chips, twice the size of the CMOS chips used on other ASRock boards. So they take longer to backup. A few or five minutes is nothing, you reset/quit for no reason. Progress bars are worthless, I've seen them sit a 10% for minutes, and then jump to 75% or more in one second. A Dr Debug code of some type will always be displayed in the pre-boot environment, I doubt it was an error.

The process you interrupted was the way to reset to factory defaults on your board.

I hope you are using the BIOS clear switch with the power to the PC off and unplugged.

Did you clear the CMOS/BIOS by using the jumper on the board and removing the board's battery, and walking away for 15 minutes?

You may have corrupted the backup BIOS as well as the primary BIOS.

The latest BIOS for your board is version 1.50, dated 10/29/2014, so I don't get the latest version from last week thing. Are you using modified BIOS, or maybe the wrong version?

Your board might support the ASRock BIOS recovery feature. To use it you put the unzipped BIOS file on a USB flash drive, and connect the USB drive to one of the USB 2.0 ports on the board's IO panel. Using a different port won't work, don't bother.

But here's the hard part, this process, if it will work, takes time. I doubt you will be patient enough to let it complete.

Your other option is to get two new CMOS/BIOS chips from ASRock and replace yours.

Comment

Re: ASRock x99x killer is dead. Factory reset?

Yesterday the support of ASRock replied to my mail and the fix was to use the jumpers to clear the CMOS

Please use the clearCMOS jumper to reset the CMOS:
      - Switch off power first
      - Press power button to discharge
      - Move the clrCMOS jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3
      - Wait around 10 seconds
      - Put the jumper back to pins 1&2
      - Switch on power and start the system
      - Enter setup with F2
      - Load default settings with F9
      - Save with F10
      Excellent support! They even offered me to send 2 new chips with latest BIOS if it did not work. Glad I got an ASRock board!
      Thanks!

Also thanks to parsec for replying to this thread and providing the answer as well!
      Last edited by timothyBrake; 11-25-2014, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X