4 beeps on H61M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 beeps on H61M

I didn't find the meaning of four beeps. What problem do I have?
    No video signal.
    Does my Kingston memory not fit the board?
    Thanks

Re: 4 beeps on H61M

Four beeps can be a memory error, which it most likely is in your case.

Hard to find information about that memory, but it is not in your board's compatibility list. Searching for the model number you provided, KP223C-DLE, at Kingston's website returns nothing.

Memory Search | Options

Comment

Thanks for your answer, I will try to get different memory, one that is on the compatibility list ...

Comment

Hmm it beep 4 times also with no memory installed, is that normal?

Comment

Completely normal. The board is almost helpless without memory, the BIOS can't run and only the earliest stages of POST can function.

You must have memory and a CPU before anything meaningful will happen.

Comment

I doubt it. It beeps with OCZ 3P13334GK, too, and that is on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by johurti View Post
              I doubt it. It beeps with OCZ 3P13334GK, too, and that is on the list.
              You think the board can function without memory? Good luck with that. Or do you think the board is bad?

But you have a different problem, now that I see you are using a Celeron G1620 Ivy Bridge generation CPU in a Sandy Bridge chipset board.

Ivy Bridge processors can work in boards like yours, but require a BIOS update, IF the board has a BIOS version prior to version 1.70.

You need to check the BIOS version that came with your board. There should be a small white sticker on the BIOS chip with the version code on it. The BIOS chip is in the lower right area of the board, just above the SATA2_0 connector.

Your board's CPU support list shows BIOS version 2.00 is required for a G1620. ASRock > H61M

The G1620 processor was released a bit later into the Ivy Bridge generation of processors, so apparently needs an updated CPU microcode, which is part of the BIOS.

BTW, the memory controller is part of the CPU, so if the CPU cannot function properly, neither can the memory.

To double check, you have the ASRock H61M board, since there are 29 different ASRock boards whose model numbers begin with H61M. Yes, H61M is one of them, but it is important to know the precise model.

We really need to know what the BIOS version on your board is. Also, do you have the 4/8 pin CPU power cable connected to the board?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                Your board's CPU support list shows BIOS version 2.00 is required for a G1620.

We really need to know what the BIOS version on your board is. Also, do you have the 4/8 pin CPU power cable connected to the board?
                Ok the sticker says 1.20(!) ("H61M-U3S3 P1.20-1B"), but I don't know whether the BIOS was updated ... so I cannot know until I get a CPU that works with 1.20 - I should hve bought a G530, thats even cheaper than my G1620

Without the 4 pin power cable I get no reaction at all.

Comment

Working...
                X