No announcement yet.

GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0 - sees Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB hdd as 136GB - any clues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0 - sees Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB hdd as 136GB - any clues?

I gotta give up helping friends fix their computers... This computer has an existing Seagate 320GB hdd with Windows Vista 64 Premium installed but the hdd is reporting bad sectors with incessant nag boxes from Windows reporting the same (time to back up etc etc). The only reason I mention this is because I can say that the 48 bit LBA support for disks greater than 136GB must be working otherwise this disk wouldn't work (would it...?). My recommendation was to purchase a new HDD and re-install windows. I have now purchased a Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB hdd (SATA) but when I try to install it, the Award BIOS reports the disk as only 136GB. Research tells me that I should be able to install Windows Vista64 anyway and figure it out later but Windows install fails, reporting that the disk is not supported (can't remember exact message - but probably irrelevant because BIOS is getting it wrong at the start). I have downloaded the latest version of BIOS (ver F10 dated 2010/02/09) and successfully upgraded using Q-Flash with no change to the problem. I have tried disconnecting all other SATA devices (i.e. DVD - nothing else is connected) and I have tried several different SATA ports including the purple GB ports with no change. I have tried a few different BIOS settings but all to no avail. I can only guess that either I have some BIOS setting wrong or perhaps the MB has an issue - can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong here? For the record, I have worked in IT for over 25 years but I've been out of the game for 3 years now (my job was exported to a country with lower labour costs...). I am more familiar with the IDE world and I don't have another SATA computer to check the disk in - I don't believe the disk is the issue because it is brand new from sealed packaging. I do see a lot of reports about the 136GB barrier out there but I can't seem to find a solution for my particular problem. All suggestions are gratefully accepted - I would really love to give this guy's computer back before Christmas... Thank you for your help - Mark (ozdogtales)

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0 - sees Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB hdd as 136GB - any clues?

Perchance, have you tried the new drive in another pc? Could it be a power supply issue to the drives , are the jumper settings on the drive correctly set if they exist? Is your motherboard sata II or sata III?? Vista should have no problems with lba 48 support.

Maybe, just maybe you got a faulty hard disk, time to rma or similar. I presume the bios doesnot understand the drives formatting for some reason.
    i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
    G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
    Corsair PSU, 1
    080Ti EVGA
    960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0 - sees Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB hdd as 136GB - any clues?

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
      Perchance, have you tried the new drive in another pc? Could it be a power supply issue to the drives , are the jumper settings on the drive correctly set if they exist? Is your motherboard sata II or sata III?? Vista should have no problems with lba 48 support.

Maybe, just maybe you got a faulty hard disk, time to rma or similar. I presume the bios doesnot understand the drives formatting for some reason.
      Thanks TicTac - I tried the Seagate hdd in a SATA disk enclosure and plugged in to the USB port on my primary computer - it spun up but no dice (i.e. it didn't work)... So I contacted the supplier who suggested that I bring it in to let their tech people check it out for me. It took a chunk of my day today to drive there and back (2 hours each way - plus the Christmas Shopping queue at the counter when I got there -groan- <groan>) but the supplier was great - took it to the tech department and returned about 3 minutes later to tell me that the hdd was faulty - then handed me a replacement hdd, smiled and sent me on my way home again. I have since installed the hdd on the computer and re-installed Vista64 without any issues.

Problem *solved* - I appreciate your input. Thank you once again.
      Mark (ozdogtales)</groan>

Comment

Working...
      X