No announcement yet.

Is this a dead LAN port (GA-Z97X-UD5H)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a dead LAN port (GA-Z97X-UD5H)?

I unplugged the LAN (internet) cable, and everything else, so I could lift the case and see a serial number underneath.
    But now i'm getting no lights on that LAN port when I plug the cable in, and Win says there's there's no cable connected. The other LAN port works. I'm using the Intel not the Killer 'thing' erm..I suppose; i've never loaded any drivers for that.

Does no lights on that port mean some dead hardware there? Any other ideas, suggestions?
    GA-Z97X-UD5H rev1.0, i7-4790K
    Noctua NH-D15
    HyperX fury 2x8GB 1866MHz
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, WD Black 3TB HDD
    MSI GTX980, Cooler Master V850
    Fractal ARC XL
    Sound Blaster Z
    Samsung 24x SATA DVD writer

Re: Is this a dead LAN port (GA-Z97X-UD5H)?

That's not good, no LEDs next to the network port coming on. Normally with the PC shutdown but connected to power and the PSU on, if you connect an active network cable to the port, at least the Status LED (for connection speed) will come on.

You could check the connector on the cable, and be sure that cable is seated correctly and in the correct connector for the Intel network chip.

Did you check Device Manager, the entry for the Intel Network chip?

Comment

Do check the device manager entry to see if the drivers are not corrupted. And if Bios is seeing network devices.

This happened to me on the board with the killer nic installed but I had used Qualcomm Atheros drivers( to bypass the killer nic app) instead of the original killer bigfoot. They got corrupted and my NIC had nothing blinking. Reinstall worked.
      i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
      G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
      Corsair PSU, 1
      080Ti EVGA
      960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
      Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

--Update--

OK, I'm a moron. The port that's working now(LAN2) obviously was the one i'd been using all along; I won't bore you with the why I got mixed up.

There were no drivers installed for the Atheros (LAN1). I've just downloaded the Bigfoot software from Gigabyte's site, and device manager now recognizes this as well as the Intel controller (which was never a problem). The Killer network manager is now doing a speed test...actually it's timed out. This isn't going to be worth having is it? haha. FWIW. speedtest.net gives near identical results. But at least I've now seen a pretty light on both my LAN ports. Will go back to the Intel port anyway, and uninstall the Bigfoot if it anything odd happens that didn't before.

At least this demonstrates that no matter how dumb and inattentive someone is, they can still build their own computer!

Thanks guys for your help!
        GA-Z97X-UD5H rev1.0, i7-4790K
        Noctua NH-D15
        HyperX fury 2x8GB 1866MHz
        Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, WD Black 3TB HDD
        MSI GTX980, Cooler Master V850
        Fractal ARC XL
        Sound Blaster Z
        Samsung 24x SATA DVD writer

Comment

Working...
        X