No announcement yet.

Finished my ASRock E3C224D4I-14S FreeNAS build -- doesn't POST, can't access IPMI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished my ASRock E3C224D4I-14S FreeNAS build -- doesn't POST, can't access IPMI

Hardware is the following:
    ASRock E3C224D4I-14S Motherboard
    Intel E3-1246 V3 CPU
    Crucial CT102472BA160B 8GB ECC RAM x 4
    Silverstone Tek ST45SF-G 450W 80+ Gold PSU

When I turn on the machine, all the fans including the CPU fan works. I've connected the board to my monitor via VGA and it just goes straight to sleep. I noticed that the BMC LED 1 on the motherboard continually flashed green. I've tried connecting my router to the server, and the server to my PC to connect via IPMI (ethernet cable from my computer to 1 of the top ports on the server, and another ethernet cable from my router to the bottom port on the server.) I also tried taking out the CMOS battery for a minute and re-inserting it. No go.

Not sure if i'm attempting to access IPMI correctly, but I've used the arp -a command in cmd and tried copying and pasting every address into my browser. Also looked into my internet provider's event logs and did the same thing. I looked at all the wired DHCP addresses in my router's portal and copied/pasted the most recent ones. I just get a "page not available" message.

The sticker on my motherboard shows firmware P2.00, and my CPU (Intel E3 1246 V3) is listed on the motherboard's compatibility page (shows compatible since FW P2.00.) My particular model of RAM is also listed as compatible with the board.

After powering the server off and on, and re-inserting the CMOS battery a few times, it now looks like the BMC LED on my board is no longer flashing green, but is now constantly on and glowing a faint/dim green. Not sure what that means.

Looks like I have the same issue as this thread here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...-not-post.html

For reference, I have only the PSU, CPU, 4 sticks of RAM, and a USB stick with the FreeNAS installation .iso currently connected. Not sure what to do next, i'm a bit flustered. I'm also about 5 days from my RMA period so trying to figure this out before Christmas.

Re: Finished my ASRock E3C224D4I-14S FreeNAS build -- doesn't POST, can't access IPMI

Okay some progress. I was able to log into the IPMI by guessing the IP address (I went sequentially and finally got the Megarac SP login page.) After I login however, the little JAVA window is black and says "Host is powered off or in sleep mode." Any ideas where to go from here?

Comment

Re: Finished my ASRock E3C224D4I-14S FreeNAS build -- doesn't POST, can't access IPMI

Did you ever make any progress on this? With 1,400 views on this thread, it seems like a common problem.

I just purchased the E3C224D4I-14S and am in a similar situation. I can access IPMI for a brief period of time (before having to pull the battery out to reset it.) During this time, I can see the display shows "System Initializing..." I'm able to browse around IPMI for a period of time, but then after a power cycle, it stops responding to DHCP and doesn't re-join my network. I can see my DHCP server offering an IP, but the IPMI never comes back. Pulling the CMOS battery seems to temporarily fix this.

Unfortunately, that is as far as I got. I'm getting three loud long beeps that go on indefinitely. I suspect my Kingston ECC Registered memory KVR16LR11S4/8KF is not compatible with this motherboard, so I'm waiting for some new ECC Unbuffered to show up. In the meantime, I reached out to ASRock technical support a couple days ago and heard nothing -- so I was hoping to hear if you got further in your journey since ASRock support isn't responsive. Without any support from ASRock, I blindly ordered 4 8GB sticks of ECC Unbuffered RAM KVR16LE11/8KF since it was available easily and appeared close in part number to what Kingston says works with this MB. They should arrive soon and hopefully that will get me further, but I was curious how your project ended. The memory QVL on this board is terribly dated - 6 of 8 recommended sticks are 4GB. The other 2 are not available from any mainstream merchants. I tried my best to project from the 4GB serial numbers, but (I think) guessed wrong on attempt one.

FWITW, I also tried reseating the RAM in various configurations from the manual to see if it was a faulty stick.

My current hardware is:
      ASRock E3C224D4I-14S Motherboard
      Intel E3-1241 V3 CPU
      Kingston KVR16LR11S4/8KF 8GB ECC Reg. RAM x 4
      SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS GOLD
      (Other hard drives, USB, etc. are all disconnected while I troubleshoot POST.)
      Last edited by NetKoder; 01-27-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

New ECC Unbuffered RAM arrived. I swapped it out and I can see BIOS. So that confirms that these motherboards can't handle ECC Registered memory. Still having issues with IPMI after first boot. Updated BMC to latest version and fixed that issue. Disappointed that I never heard from ASrock via official support or here.
        Last edited by NetKoder; 01-30-2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X