No announcement yet.

Help me with ASRock H81 Pro BTC to overclock G3258.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with ASRock H81 Pro BTC to overclock G3258.

Hi,

I bought this motherboard as this was the cheapest and according to a thread on Anand Tech forums it allowed a user to achieve highest overclock for G3258. With the ASRock pre-defined non-Z OC, 3.8 was okay for normal tasks but it BSOD on launching FC4. I increased the CPU input voltage and Vcore and it was stable, anything higher than 4.0 was unstable on any setting.

I also don't understand most of the overclocking settings in UEFI. What is FIVR? Is there some problem with my motherboard or the PSU?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Re: Help me with ASRock H81 Pro BTC to overclock G3258.

Originally posted by sepiashimmer View Post
    Hi,

I bought this motherboard as this was the cheapest and according to a thread on Anand Tech forums it allowed a user to achieve highest overclock for G3258. With the ASRock pre-defined non-Z OC, 3.8 was okay for normal tasks but it BSOD on launching FC4. I increased the CPU input voltage and Vcore and it was stable, anything higher than 4.0 was unstable on any setting.

I also don't understand most of the overclocking settings in UEFI. What is FIVR? Is there some problem with my motherboard or the PSU?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
    So a budget board designed for Bit Coin mining "allowed a user to achieve highest overclock for G3258", whatever that means? Highest overclock for G3258 means what, no other board can OC a G3258 higher? Or that this board is all that is needed to achieve the highest G3258 OC possible? What is the highest over clock of a G3258 that was done on this board?

I would need to use this board for a while to see if that statement has any truth to it, but it clearly is an over generalization and ambiguous. No PC forums that I am aware of, including this one, are discussing how great this board is for over clocking. Simply by looking at it and the specifications, we can see that it is not meant for CPU over clocking.

The CPU input voltage regulation stage is only a four phase design without a heat sink. That is about as basic as you can get. My point is boards with CPU input voltage regulation stages like usually have limits on the maximum VCore and CPU Input voltages that can be used. They also may not allow a high enough Long Duration Power Limit, which allows an OC to remain at its level indefinitely.

Next, one of the sad realities of processor over clocking: All processors of the same, identical model, will not be able to over clock to the same level, and at the same VCore. That is referred to as the "Silicon Lottery", you buy a CPU and what you get is pure luck about how it will OC.

I have two G3258s. The first one will OC to 4.0GHz at about 1.18V. The second will OC to 4.0GHz at about 1.05V. To get the first one beyond 4.0GHz, it needs 1.25V for 4.2GHz, while the second one will hit 4.2GHz at 1.12V.

In general for the G3258, any OC over 4.0GHz is where things become difficult, and the luck of your CPU really matters. VCore and CPU Input voltage must be increased much more, and CPU temperature can begin to be an issue. Fortunately these processors don't use large amounts of power and are easier to cool, but that does not mean these factors can be ignored.

In your case, we don't know what CPU cooler you are using, or what CPU temperatures you are getting. No idea of VCore or CPU Input voltages. Or even what CPU voltage type you are using, your board's manual shows only Auto and Override settings, Auto being Adaptive most likely. Same questions for the CPU Cache options, and are you using the on CPU graphics or a video card?

No idea what BIOS version you are using, or OS. What about the PC case and its fans for cooling? A problem with your PSU... what PSU are you using?

Comment

The thread is here

What motherboards have Non-Z overclocking enabled for Pentium 3258? - AnandTech Forums

I have TX3 EVO cooling it. I'm using Win 7(How would it matter?)

The CPU input voltage is 1.9V, so far I've only used Vcore of 1.400, cache is 1.200. Cache ratio is the same core clock.

There are no case fans but I left it open so it can get more air.
      Last edited by sepiashimmer; 01-27-2015, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sepiashimmer View Post
        The thread is here

What motherboards have Non-Z overclocking enabled for Pentium 3258? - AnandTech Forums

I have TX3 EVO cooling it. I'm using Win 7(How would it matter?)

The CPU input voltage is 1.9V, so far I've only used Vcore of 1.400, cache is 1.200. Cache ratio is the same core clock.

There are no case fans but I left it open so it can get more air.
        Assuming the claim of post #75 is true, "... now testing 4.7Ghz on 1.35V, so far so good.", is apparently the basis for this board (actually, Non-Z chipset boards that have the BIOS tweak that allows them to over clock, is the subject of the thread) being the one that "... allowed a user to achieve highest overclock for G3258.", in that thread.

The good news is this board does not have the VCore and CPU Input voltage limitations that other non-Z chipset boards do.

The bad news is, if you are already at a VCore of 1.400V, CPU Input of 1.900V, for an OC that won't go above 4.0GHz, you simply don't have a good over clocking G3258. I can only imagine the CPU temperature.

It's not a matter of BIOS option settings that allow one person to be at 4.7GHz at 1.35V, while you are stuck at 4.0GHz at 1.4V, it's your processor. This is mentioned in that thread, and as I described previously.

Given what little information you included, set the Cache clock to stock speed (32), increase the CPU Input voltage to 2.0V or more. Disable FIVR efficiency mode. This might get you a little above 4.0, but 4.7GHz will never happen IMO.

If you are already at 1.4V for 4.0GHz (a voltage I would never consider using, way to high) there's no BIOS setting that can compensate for that. Be careful, you are really pushing your CPU hard now. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X