Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Extreme11 board "loses" hard drives randomly

Hi folks,

Switched boards summer 2014 to an AsRock Z77 Extreme11, because I needed 12 SATA connections (10HD & 2 optical drives). Recently (as of two days ago) I keep "losing" 8 of the 10 hard drives at irregular intervals.
    Only "C" and "D" drives remain connected... Optical drives are sometimes gone too.

A reboot results in a hang (PC case-fans keep spinning but boot-sequence gets stuck before post; keyboard and screen stay dead). An emergency reboot works fine and the PC starts normally, with all drives visible and usable...

Was wondering if anybody else with an Extreme11 board has run into the same or similar issues?

Could this be either a BIOS or LSI problem?

Will check my BIOS version upon next start-up as I don't know it by heart.

Thanks for reading and eventually answering ;)

Re: Z77 Extreme11 board "loses" hard drives randomly

So it looks like this is a general problem for Asrock boards. Expect my X99 Extreme4, my brother's Z87 extreme6 board is facing same issues though it is happening not quite often and till now i though was his fault...
    Last edited by CSAsr84; 01-28-2015, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CSAsr84 View Post
      So it looks like this is a general problem for Asrock boards. Expect my X99 Extreme4, my brother's X87 extreme6 board is facing same issues though it is happening not quite often and till now I though was his fault...
      Mmm... Had an AsRock P67 Fatal1ty Pro before the Extreme11. Used it for about 2 years (with a 2600K) without any glitch...
      On the Extreme11 I had to change the LSI-chip 35mm fan from the word go because of the fan sounding like a small animal being tortured. Now this...

Comment

Originally posted by CSAsr84 View Post
        So it looks like this is a general problem for Asrock boards. Expect my X99 Extreme4, my brother's Z87 extreme6 board is facing same issues though it is happening not quite often and till now i though was his fault...
        I have four ASRock boards, from Z77 to Z97, and I've never had a problem with disappearing drives.

If you have SATA Aggressive Link Power Management enabled in the BIOS, disable it, some drives can't handle it.

In your Windows Power Plan, Advanced options, check what the Turn off hard disk after option is set to. Some drives can't handle that either, and can affect the LSI controller.

To the OP, so this just started happening to you? Any Windows Updates installed lately? Do you have driver updates set to automatic, which is an option for configuring Windows update? If so, check the date of installed drivers in Programs and Features.

Comment

For me for sure SATA Aggressive Link Power Management and Power plan HDD spin down is off for sure, but as i said at my thread this happened only at the E-Sata port. If i use a Sata to E-Sata cable connected to the same controllers internal Sata port this thing does not occur. On my brothers pc happens to the SSD and must completely turn off pc to fix it as reset does not help (no bootable device message or something like this he told me).
          Last edited by CSAsr84; 01-28-2015, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            To the OP, so this just started happening to you? Any Windows Updates installed lately? Do you have driver updates set to automatic, which is an option for configuring Windows update? If so, check the date of installed drivers in Programs and Features.
            It has happened once before, last August just after I installed the new board. Nothing since then and since last tuesday: wham!, 4 times in a couple of hours and when waking up this morning just before 10am I found my PC had somewhere in the night again "lost" 8 out of 10 drives.
            All's been wel since reboot, however.

Nothing bar Windows and Office gets updated through Sicromoft. I get notified if and when new updates are available and I go through the list to see what I want/need, so nothing out of the ordinary was installed with the last update (which was about 2 weeks ago, I think).

Haven't installed any new programs either. Beats me...

Thanks for the reply CSAsr84 and Parsec

Comment

Update:

Found out that dBPowerAmp 14 (which I use to rip my CD's and/or convert FLAC to mp3) is the culprit and sometimes (read: often lately) screws-up Windows Explorer's functionality. Windows Explorer seems to go bonkers because of dBPowerAmp starting to bleed RAM (gobbles up all 16GB available) causing WE to either crash or dump stuff -like closing open folders- to save RAM. Hence, I guess, the "disappearing" hard drives...

Is what happened a minute ago, anyway. Weird thing is that this RAM thing doesn't show in Process Explorer. I only see the RAM use go up in a flash in my G19's display and then got an error from Windows saying dBPowerAmp crashed while at the same time all the folders I had open closed. When checking, 8 of the 10 hard drives were gone...

Maybe time to upgrade that dBPowerAmp license then...

Topic can be closed

Comment

Working...
              X